2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation downgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Navigation downgrade

Hi all, I just purchased my 2010 Fit Sport w/Nav. I am loving the car, but don't need the nav. It works fine, but I really just don't need it and would much rather have a simple but solid aftermarket unit that has usb (either uses the stock one in the dash or comes with a port on the head unit) and bluetooth capability. Essentially, here is what I am looking to do:

Want:
- replace stock nav with simpler, non-nav aftermarket head unit w/bluetooth
- maintain use of steering wheel control buttons (i.e. for SURE volume, hopefully channel, possibly mode)
- come with usb function on head unit or use the one already mounted in dash
- sell stock nav unit

I am open to thoughts and suggestions. Ideally, there is a head unit out there that will be compatible with the steering wheel control buttons and have blue tooth, but I have scoured the forums and haven't found anyone who has done a nav downgrade on the GE8. Looking to draw on everyone's experience

Old 12-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Switch to a 2012+ ge8. It has everything you are looking for.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:23 PM
I purchased my car used to save money. This fit was in better condition than all the other used fits i had seen and the price was reasonable. Otherwise, I surely would have gotten the 2012 for that reason.

Can this downgrade be performed while having the requirements I listed above fulfilled?

Old 12-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator
Yes. Go check out sonic electronics. They running a sale now. Ull need aswc sterring wheel component to make ur controls work

Old 12-10-2013, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xxryu139x
Yes. Go check out sonic electronics. They running a sale now. Ull need aswc sterring wheel component to make ur controls work
Crutchfield.com is also a good resource for information/details about the head units. they also give you the wiring harnesses, etc... with the purchase if you go through them.

I have an aftermarket Head unit from JVC which I'm fairly happy with. has everything except for the steering wheel controls (which could have been added with an SWI - steering wheel interface - module, if I had steering wheel controls). I have the USB in the stock location for the FIT non-NAVI which is the upper glove box. handles both of my phones at the same time for calls and also one of them can be used to stream Mp3s/Pandora over Bluetooth. iPod Navigation is better than stock but still not the greatest.

~SB

Old 12-11-2013, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
I have the USB in the stock location for the FIT non-NAVI which is the upper glove box.
The 09-11 Navi USB is also in the same location (upper glove box).
The only difference in input locations between the Sport & the Sport Navi is the "Aux" 1/8th inch mini/headphone jack, on the Sport it's location on the head unit, on the Navi it's located on the panel where the Aux power is all the way to the right.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
If you sell the stock one, I may be interested, depending on price

Old 12-11-2013, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
The 09-11 Navi USB is also in the same location (upper glove box).
The only difference in input locations between the Sport & the Sport Navi is the "Aux" 1/8th inch mini/headphone jack, on the Sport it's location on the head unit, on the Navi it's located on the panel where the Aux power is all the way to the right.
There's a rubber Grommet that is around the stock USB connector in the glove box that keeps it in place (plugs the hole on the right side). I sliced one side of it with a razor and took it off, wrapped it around the JVC USB cable at about the same point and pushed it back into place (original hole it came out of). Works great and looks completely stock.

~SB

Old 12-12-2013, 09:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
There's a rubber Grommet that is around the stock USB connector in the glove box that keeps it in place (plugs the hole on the right side). I sliced one side of it with a razor and took it off, wrapped it around the JVC USB cable at about the same point and pushed it back into place (original hole it came out of). Works great and looks completely stock.

~SB
Good move.
Whenever I upgrade my OEM Nav I plan to do the same w/ the USB and run it to the top glove box just like OEM... I also plan on keeping the new Navi Aux Input in the same location (center console by the Aux outlet), if I can integrate the OEM input with the new Navi. Pretty sure it's possible since it's just a 1/8th inch audio (headphone style) jack.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
im running a pioneer avh-2500bt with aswc for the steering controls, auto e-brake bypass. works great with my droid.

for nav, i use a nuvi. reason being, my car is parked outdoors 24/7, i rather punch in the destination inside the house before going on the trip.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:41 PM
So I would remove the OEM nav unit, purchase a new head unit AND aswc adapter? If the car doesn't already have an aswc adapter, how do my current steering control buttons work with the OEM nav? Does the nav unit itself have an adapter integrated or something? I was hoping to be able to just remove the nav unit alone and still have everything i need left to install a simple aftermarket head unit that will work with the steering control buttons...

Old 12-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
basically your oem headunit has the remote decoder built-in. your aftermarket headunit needs the decoder which is the aswc (or PAC if you decide to go the PAC route). aswc is easier to install than PAC cause you wire up 2 or 3 wires (i forget), and plug it into the aftermarket headunit and it's ready to go. with PAC you have to program each button. both work just as well from my experience.

search ASWC or AXXESS for the wiring. you will also want to get a ebrake bypass module from ebay/amazon. those work well for when you want to watch dvd's.