2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Just installed Kumho Escta 4x 205/50R16

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 09:16 AM
***300 Mile Update*** Just installed Kumho Escta 4x 205/50R16

***Update*** I just filled up and got a average of 33 mpg. My average on my stock Dunlops was 35 mpg. Doing some quick math, with filling up about 25 times a year and losing about 2mpg, I will be paying about $47 per more per year than with the stock Dunnies.

I like the tires, they grip well in the rain and they are much quieter than the stock Dunlops.

Overall I would recommend them but I am excited to hear about the Kuhmo PA31's, hopefully they will pan out and be a great value, quality tire.

My stock Dunlops where in need of replacement so I decided to jump to the 205's and got the Kumho Escta 4x 205/50r16 tires installed yesterday. Got a $50 instant rebate and a $50 mail-in rebate which helped influence my decision.

I did a search and only found one thread of someone running these tires, has anyone else got these recently and if so what are your opinions and what pressure are you running?

I will need to fill up in a few days and after I run a full tank will update with a review.

Thanks,
Schwimm

Last edited by schwimmair; 12-28-2013 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Update
Old 12-17-2013, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
Very nice. I'm thinking about that exact tire for my next set.....anxiously awaiting your review.

-Dustin

Old 12-17-2013, 10:56 AM
The Fit that I bought came with Ecsta 4X's in a 185/55-15. They would not have been my first choice in either tire model or size. On dry pavement they have been rather nondescript, but then the Fit was basically bought for utilitarian purposes, i.e. moving things that don't fit in our other cars.

Judging from your locations, this may not be relevant, but they are quite bad in snow packed conditions. Ironically, I discovered while in route to pick up a set of dedicated studless snow tires on wheels in a 195/55-15.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Administrator
35 psi is fine, let us know how you like those tires

Old 12-17-2013, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by schwimmair
I did a search and only found one thread of someone running these tires, has anyone else got these recently and if so what are your opinions and what pressure are you running?....
There's a few of us running the 4x's but afaik, almost all of us are on the 15". I'm on 205/55/15.

On my 16's I'm running Conti DWS' 205/50/16, that what a lot of GE8 owners run in 16".

Both are at the top (rated) when it comes to A/S tires.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
I have the Kumho Escta 4x 205/50-16 on my 2010 Sport. I can't speak for snow performance because I switch to dedicated snow tires in the winter. However for the other 3 season use, I am very pleased with the performance. I have to agree with the ratings on Tire Rack. Check out the reviews and comparison to the other top rated brands.

Last edited by Rampo; 12-17-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
I have the Ecsta Platinum LX on my Fit and found them to perform OK on light snow recently with half of their tread life gone. When the time comes to replace them, I will likely get the Kumho PA31s due to their initial high marks from Tirerack testers. I'm awaiting their winter test results from Sweden to be performed in February.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Bama3Dr
Very nice. I'm thinking about that exact tire for my next set.....anxiously awaiting your review.

-Dustin
Dustin, I filled up today and will let you know what my MPG and initial opinions are after this tank. I can already tell a difference with it being quieter with road noise.

Originally Posted by palos
The Fit that I bought came with Ecsta 4X's in a 185/55-15. They would not have been my first choice in either tire model or size. On dry pavement they have been rather nondescript, but then the Fit was basically bought for utilitarian purposes, i.e. moving things that don't fit in our other cars.

Judging from your locations, this may not be relevant, but they are quite bad in snow packed conditions. Ironically, I discovered while in route to pick up a set of dedicated studless snow tires on wheels in a 195/55-15.
Hi, thanks for your reply. My first choice would have been the Yokahoma Avid Ascends but with the rebates I got these where the best of the bunch. I drive under 6K per year and it rarely snows so hopefully these will serve me well.

Originally Posted by Waizzz
35 psi is fine, let us know how you like those tires
Thanks for your reply. Before I saw this I brought my psi up to 34. I will bump them up a lb. They still feel a little soft when you are turning without a lot of speed.

Originally Posted by FitStir
There's a few of us running the 4x's but afaik, almost all of us are on the 15". I'm on 205/55/15.

On my 16's I'm running Conti DWS' 205/50/16, that what a lot of GE8 owners run in 16".

Both are at the top (rated) when it comes to A/S tires.
Thanks for the reply. I looked at the Conti DW and the Yokohama Avid Ascends but couldn't get them in my budget.

Originally Posted by Rampo
I have the Kumho Escta 4x 205/50-16 on my 2010 Sport. I can't speak for snow performance because I switch to dedicated snow tires in the winter. However for the other 3 season use, I am very pleased with the performance. I have to agree with the ratings on Tire Rack. Check out the reviews and comparison to the other top rated brands.
Thanks, I will take take a look at the Tire Rack reviews. Off the top of your head do you know what psi you run them at?

Originally Posted by BurntZ
I have the Ecsta Platinum LX on my Fit and found them to perform OK on light snow recently with half of their tread life gone. When the time comes to replace them, I will likely get the Kumho PA31s due to their initial high marks from Tirerack testers. I'm awaiting their winter test results from Sweden to be performed in February.
Thanks for the reply. I really wanted the PA31's but the tire shop would have had to special order them and I wouldn't have qualified for the instant rebate. Hopefully the PA31's pan out as it looks like a great value quality tire.

______

Thanks again everyone. I will report back in a few weeks after I get some miles on the tire.

Have a great Christmas/Holiday!

Old 12-17-2013, 09:45 PM
Platinums ride nice (comfort) but thy are not performance tires.

4x grip very well dry and wet. I did not get a chance to use them on snow. I don't like that they are noisy compared to the Platniums (yes, diff catagories but you get an idea).

I'm also very anxious to try the PA31s. The reviews and tire specs/design look really good - esp for the money.

Another budget suggestion are General GMax AS03. They are VERY similar to the 4X but do VERY well in light snow. General is the sister company to Continental. I find these to be the budget DWS (base on what I read as I've ever had DWS but I did have DW and they were awesome). IMO, if you want a better summer AS, go 4x or better yet PA31s for overall balance. If you want a better winter AS, the GMax might be the better choice. Go to youtube and watch the promo videos for each tire. Yes it is a sales video but you'll get a better understanding of what they are geared towards in their design/goal. You really can't go wrong with any of these tires!

Last edited by silentnoise713; 12-17-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by silentnoise713
Platinums ride nice (comfort) but thy are not performance tires.

4x grip very well dry and wet. I did not get a chance to use them on snow. I don't like that they are noisy compared to the Platniums (yes, diff catagories but you get an idea).

I'm also very anxious to try the PA31s. The reviews and tire specs/design look really good - esp for the money.

Another budget suggestion are General GMax AS03. They are VERY similar to the 4X but do VERY well in light snow. General is the sister company to Continental. I find these to be the budget DWS (base on what I read as I've ever had DWS but I did have DW and they were awesome). IMO, if you want a better summer AS, go 4x or better yet PA31s for overall balance. If you want a better winter AS, the GMax might be the better choice. Go to youtube and watch the promo videos for each tire. Yes it is a sales video but you'll get a better understanding of what they are geared towards in their design/goal. You really can't go wrong with any of these tires!
Thanks for the feedback.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
I had these for 33,000 miles and have just replaced them with the new Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3s.

Great tire for every season except winter in the snow. Utterly useless in any kind of snow, basically un-driveable. They simply just surf on top of any snow rather than cut through it. Otherwise, stiff sidewall makes for that "on rails" feel and sharp transitions. Low noise, decent tread life, no perceivable loss in mpg over the stock size, decent steering feel. Great price.

Tried my parents' new Continental DWS on their GE8, and while they're okay, they don't compare to the Michelin AS/3. The Michelins are very, very impressive. Confidence is upped while attacking sweeping curves. Much less steering correction. VERY supple ride that absorbs sharp bumps as well as mutes them. Very sublime steering feel. Comes with $70 rebate. If you have the means, I highly recommend acquiring a set.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by schwimmair
Dustin, I filled up today and will let you know what my MPG and initial opinions are after this tank. I can already tell a difference with it being quieter with road noise.

Hi, thanks for your reply. My first choice would have been the Yokahoma Avid Ascends but with the rebates I got these where the best of the bunch. I drive under 6K per year and it rarely snows so hopefully these will serve me well.

Thanks for your reply. Before I saw this I brought my psi up to 34. I will bump them up a lb. They still feel a little soft when you are turning without a lot of speed.

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the Conti DW and the Yokohama Avid Ascends but couldn't get them in my budget.

Thanks, I will take take a look at the Tire Rack reviews. Off the top of your head do you know what psi you run them at?

Thanks for the reply. I really wanted the PA31's but the tire shop would have had to special order them and I wouldn't have qualified for the instant rebate. Hopefully the PA31's pan out as it looks like a great value quality tire.

______

Thanks again everyone. I will report back in a few weeks after I get some miles on the tire.

Have a great Christmas/Holiday!
I'm running 34 PSI all around. This is up 1 PSI from the 33 listed in the door panel. Works well for me in terms of handling and wear. I'm not seeing any adverse wear patterns on the tires. They now have approximately 10,000 miles with one rotation at 7500 miles. As far as the Conti's, in my opinion, they are an excellent tire, but if you are looking at cost, the Kumho's performance comes close at a much more reasonable cost.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
I had these for 33,000 miles and have just replaced them with the new Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3s.

Great tire for every season except winter in the snow. Utterly useless in any kind of snow, basically un-driveable. They simply just surf on top of any snow rather than cut through it. Otherwise, stiff sidewall makes for that "on rails" feel and sharp transitions. Low noise, decent tread life, no perceivable loss in mpg over the stock size, decent steering feel. Great price.

Tried my parents' new Continental DWS on their GE8, and while they're okay, they don't compare to the Michelin AS/3. The Michelins are very, very impressive. Confidence is upped while attacking sweeping curves. Much less steering correction. VERY supple ride that absorbs sharp bumps as well as mutes them. Very sublime steering feel. Comes with $70 rebate. If you have the means, I highly recommend acquiring a set.
Hi thanks for the feedback. Fortunately we don't get a lot of snow in Georgia but if we do I will be sure to take my wife's car. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Rampo
I'm running 34 PSI all around. This is up 1 PSI from the 33 listed in the door panel. Works well for me in terms of handling and wear. I'm not seeing any adverse wear patterns on the tires. They now have approximately 10,000 miles with one rotation at 7500 miles. As far as the Conti's, in my opinion, they are an excellent tire, but if you are looking at cost, the Kumho's performance comes close at a much more reasonable cost.
Thanks that is excellent news. Thank you for your feedback.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:47 PM

Hi, I forgot to ask when you replaced your tires at 33k where they to the wear line or below. Thanks

Old 12-20-2013, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
They actually had at least 1/8" remaining, good for at least another year. I put on those 33k miles in less than a year and a half. The reason I prematurely got rid of them was anticipation for the winter snow, since they are downright dangerous to drive in in any kind of snow. My new Michelins are noticeably better in snow, though I have yet to test in in heavy powder snow.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:10 PM
They actually had at least 1/8" remaining, good for at least another year. I put on those 33k miles in less than a year and a half. The reason I prematurely got rid of them was anticipation for the winter snow, since they are downright dangerous to drive in in any kind of snow. My new Michelins are noticeably better in snow, though I have yet to test in in heavy powder snow.
Hey thanks for the info that is good news.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member
Had a set, lasted almost 30k with rotation every 5k. A little loud but for the money not a bad deal..

Old 12-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by LateBrakeU2
Had a set, lasted almost 30k with rotation every 5k. A little loud but for the money not a bad deal..
Thanks for the feedback.