2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

CEL: P0134 and P0498 Lights on.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
CEL: P0134 and P0498 Lights on.

Hi everyone:

I was hoping someone would have some insight as to the situation I'm in. I have a 2010 USDM Honda Fit Sport A/T, ~26K miles, stock, no engine mods at all and it's just out of warranty now.

The issue is that it just recently kicked out the codes P0134 and P0498 when the CEL went on. After waiting for three hours, they told me nothing was definitive and they needed to put in at least an hour's worth of work in so that they can diagnose it. I talked to the tech and he said that it had something to do with the O2/Oxygen sensor and an EVAP can (and I'm sorry, I'm not too sure what that system is nor what it does for me.) I called up Honda customer service and started a case with this, but couldn't definitely say anything about goodwill they can perform unless they definitively knew what the problem was and had an accurate quote. Their shop fee is $105/hr which I would have to eat up the cost to get the accurate diagnosis.

And after talking to corporate, there's no way of knowing how much it would cost to fix it, nor any way to know how much Honda corporate would cover.

Any thoughts/insights/opinions on what he issue might be and what I can do?

Thanks in advance for all your help guys.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
US power train warranty is 5 years 60K miles and includes the ECM (should include all pollution controls, I might be mistaken but check).

edit, I just checked mine: the emissions warranty outside of CA and select states is 50Kmiles and 3 years

For CA and the other states it's 7 years 70K. I'm guessing you don't live in one of those states...

Here's the list:
the California Emissions
Warranties that follow cover all
vehicles registered and normally
driven in California, Connecticut,
Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey,
Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode
Island, Vermont and Washington

I'd pay the diagnosis fee and throw myself at their mercy. You're still in the power train warranty and just out of the emissions warranty (if you're not in one of the above states). They ought to cut you a deal.

Last edited by Steve244; 01-21-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
US power train warranty is 5 years 60K miles and includes the ECM (should include all pollution controls, I might be mistaken but check).

edit, I just checked mine: the emissions warranty outside of CA and select states is 50Kmiles and 3 years

For CA and the other states it's 7 years 70K. I'm guessing you don't live in one of those states...

Here's the list:
the California Emissions
Warranties that follow cover all
vehicles registered and normally
driven in California, Connecticut,
Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey,
Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode
Island, Vermont and Washington

I'd pay the diagnosis fee and throw myself at their mercy. You're still in the power train warranty and just out of the emissions warranty (if you're not in one of the above states). They ought to cut you a deal.
Steve244, thanks for your quick reply. I was actually on the phone again with Honda corporate and I was immediately able to ask them about it since I am in NJ. Turns out that there are "specific parts" that are up to 7/70K and unfortunately the ones that are in question here aren't. But they did say at least is that I would be a good candidate for some sort of Goodwill assistance.

So I just scheduled an appointment and as you said, I will be at their mercy as to what they think is wrong with the situation.