2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C, Radiator Fan, Side Mirror Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 05:25 PM
A/C, Radiator Fan, Side Mirror Electrical Problems

I have a 2012 Fit with approximately 30K miles.

Before beginning my morning commute I noticed the electronic controls for my side mirrors and my A/C were not working. I figured it was a blown fuse.

About an hour into the commute the temperature warning late came on. I stopped to let the car cool down, refilled lost coolant to appropriate levels, and checked for leaks. There is no coolant leak.

After letting the car cool down I idled and observed it. After about 25 minutes the radiator fans did not engage to prevent the car from heating up, and when the warning light came on I turned off my car and let it cool down again. As an additional electric system did not work, I hoped that my initial suspicion of a fuse problem was to blame and started there.

The A/C fuse was indeed blown, so I replaced it with the extra fuse and turned the car on. Both the A/C and the engine fan immediately began operating as they should.

Ten minutes after resuming driving, I decided to test the mirrors. When I pushed the button to operate the mirrors, the A/C turned off and inspection revealed the fuse had blown again.

Since the second replacement I've driven for about an hour and a half total without operating the mirrors and the current fuse seems to be working properly. While it is possible the mirror issue is a coincidental separate failure, the fuse did blow the moment the power mirror button was initiated, which would make it a remarkable coincidence of timing.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? It is not immediately apparent to me which fuse belongs to the mirror system so I have not been able to check that (or go through every single fuse) yet.

Thanks!

Last edited by comradewho; 01-22-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by comradewho
I have a 2012 Fit with approximately 30K miles.

Before beginning my morning commute I noticed the electronic controls for my side mirrors and my A/C were not working. I figured it was a blown fuse.

About an hour into the commute the temperature warning late came on. I stopped to let the car cool down, refilled lost coolant to appropriate levels, and checked for leaks. There is no coolant leak.

After letting the car cool down I idled and observed it. After about 25 minutes the radiator fans did not engage to prevent the car from heating up, and when the warning light came on I turned off my car and let it cool down again. As an additional electric system did not work, I hoped that my initial suspicion of a fuse problem was to blame and started there.

The A/C fuse was indeed blown, so I replaced it with the extra fuse and turned the car on. Both the A/C and the engine fan immediately began operating as they should.

Ten minutes after resuming driving, I decided to test the mirrors. When I pushed the button to operate the mirrors, the A/C turned off and inspection revealed the fuse had blown again.

Since the second replacement I've driven for about an hour and a half total without operating the mirrors and the current fuse seems to be working properly. While it is possible the mirror issue is a coincidental separate failure, the fuse did blow the moment the power mirror button was initiated, which would make it a remarkable coincidence of timing.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? It is not immediately apparent to me which fuse belongs to the mirror system so I have not been able to check that (or go through every single fuse) yet.

Thanks!
Time for a warranty claim...

Old 01-23-2014, 05:37 AM
5 Year Member
#10 fuse is 7.5 A Auxiliary under-hood relay box, A/C switch, Power mirror switch, Rear window defogger relay, Rear window defogger switch indicator

Sounds like a dealer fix under wty.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:18 PM
While I appreciate the effort of typing put in here, "take it to the dealer" isn't exactly helpful information.

Obviously I have the option of taking it to the dealer.

Just in case other people not under warranty or who would opt for fixing it yourself are having the same problem, here's what I've learned.

As a comment above indicates, the fuse in question is linked to a number of systems. In my case, the power mirror fan on the driver's side has gone bad and needs to be replaced.

Now you know that a problem in your mirrors can cause your engine to overheat and potentially suffer serious damage.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:06 AM
5 Year Member
I only suggested taking it to the dealer as you appear to have a significant problem which should be addressed before something bad happens.

I do not see how the #10 fuse afects the rad fans. Looks like two problems

Now you say it is the power mirror fan needs replacing. What is that? How did yo determine it is bad? It would be helpful.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by comradewho
While I appreciate the effort of typing put in here, "take it to the dealer" isn't exactly helpful information.

Obviously I have the option of taking it to the dealer.

Just in case other people not under warranty or who would opt for fixing it yourself are having the same problem, here's what I've learned.

As a comment above indicates, the fuse in question is linked to a number of systems. In my case, the power mirror fan on the driver's side has gone bad and needs to be replaced.

Now you know that a problem in your mirrors can cause your engine to overheat and potentially suffer serious damage.
uh, you asked for thoughts. At the time I was thinking you did a great job analyzing the failure mode, and finding the trigger event (adjusting mirrors). I think your conclusion the mirror motor is the cause, is the most likely, but it could be a problem with the wiring (either at the door, or mirror arm). I don't think the switch is at fault. I think it's poor design that a fault with an unrelated non-critical system (the mirrors) could cause a potentially catastrophic failure (engine cooling).

If you had asked for a circuit diagram, we would have gladly provided one (you asked for my thoughts, be careful what you ask for...). There are 5 fuses affecting radiator fan functions and control is through the ECM. The mirror motors share the #10 fuse with the fan relay control circuit, and also interface with the multiplexed integrated control unit (MICU) that controls just about everything not directly engine related.

As you replaced a blown fuse and the problem re-appeared, and the car is under warranty, the only cost effective solution as you have already concluded is to take it to the dealer. Sorry I just jumped to the logical conclusion, but you'd already connected all the dots...

Last edited by Steve244; 01-24-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
I've been having A/C issues. Since I took it to the shop to get diagnosed and resolved, my compressor now doesn't turn on whatsoever, as well as no A/C at all.

Could this fuse be the culprit?