2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike in a Fit

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Bike in a Fit

So I became a new Fit owner last night! We have a Civic already...guess we are starting a quiver of Hondas.
Anyway, does anyone have a pic of how my mountain bike can be put in the back? Remove front tyre and drop the seat post or...I'm thinking I could even stand it up.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by kawigirl
So I became a new Fit owner last night! We have a Civic already...guess we are starting a quiver of Hondas.
Anyway, does anyone have a pic of how my mountain bike can be put in the back? Remove front tyre and drop the seat post or...I'm thinking I could even stand it up.
I haven't checked on my mountain bike fit yet... but road bike is just front wheel off and secured with a fork block. The mountain bike will be next. It comes down to just the size of your bike. My road bikes seat rubs the ceiling but my gf's road bike fits with plenty of room to spare.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
I have a hitch rack now, but this worked when I didn't:

Name:  EuvSjVY.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  885.8 KB

Old 01-26-2014, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
8 months of the year I have a bike in my car, and it is one of the reasons I drive a Fit; they can hold bikes and get 38+mpg without a problem!

I cut a piece of 1x6 to fit the rear hatch contours and covered it in old tubes for 'grip'. Mounted a saris fork mount to it with t nuts and machine screws for modularity;
Name:  d9QokRM.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  341.9 KB
Name:  oFJWqnE.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  401.2 KB
Name:  0vnGqC4.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  135.0 KB
I realize these pics are in a GD, but I load them in my GE the exact same way (using the same piece of wood, just trimmed a bit) and have even more room. If carrying 2-3 bikes, I take out the board with the fork mount and put both sides of the rear seat down and can haul them no problem. All of my bikes have QR seatpost collars, so I can drop the saddle or take the seatpost off completely to get everything tidy.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks very much for taking the time to post those pictures. Very helpful. I thought a bike was supposed to fit in the car across the back seats once the magic seats were in the up position? With the front tire off, did you try that at all?

Old 01-26-2014, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
I'm into road biking, and I have a Thule roof rack set up on my Fit. Do you see where I'm going with this?... Why wouldn't you install a Roof Rack? esp with a dirty mountain bike (no offense, lol). It would make a mess of the interior after a ride.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by De36
I'm into road biking, and I have a Thule roof rack set up on my Fit. Do you see where I'm going with this?... Why wouldn't you install a Roof Rack? esp with a dirty mountain bike (no offense, lol). It would make a mess of the interior after a ride.
There are plenty of reasons not to install a roof rack. Some being worried about mileage, asthetics, garages, theft, short driver , and etc.

Here is my setup.

I saw many people go the 2x4 option but I wanted to do something a little more clean. I got a MDF from homedepot, I got a 3x5 (I believe) 3/8" thick, it fit perfectly between the raised edges in the trunk. I stapled a outdoor carpet, also from home depot, to the MDF and then attached the fork mounts.

It sits in there flush under the cargo tray. I can leave the mounts in the car and be always ready to stow and go two bikes. My bikes are both 56cm. I also stagger the mounts to accommodate wider cockpit set-ups.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by klaw091
There are plenty of reasons not to install a roof rack. Some being worried about mileage, asthetics, garages, theft, short driver , and etc.
MPG doesn't very much, even on long drives. More over, Thule takes minutes to put on, very easy, I don't drive around with mine on. So MPG and Aesthetics isn't really an issue. I have locks on my racks that lock the bike and the racks, so theft isn't an issue either.

If the Fit is too tall to put the bike up top you must be short, haha, can't help you there. But you said you were 56cm thats 5'6" to 5'9".. plenty tall.

I've seen people run their carbon bikes in to the top of there garage (heartbreaking)... but that's self induced (aka stupidity lol). People who are not aware, don't care. My bike is over $7000, I would never run it into the garage... because its $7000 lol.

I really hate seeing people stuff their nice expensive bikes in the car, (ugh, heartbreaking again). Its bad for the bike and car. The rear hanger being bent for one, I swear bike companies make the hangers out of tin foil.

To each there own. I never understood it, except that its a cheap alternative. I was just curious that's all. Congrats on being a official Fit owner!!!

Last edited by De36; 01-26-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:42 AM
5 Year Member
Yep, to each his own. It makes me feel good that I paid $500 less for my Fit than you did for your bike. As one who takes their bike everywhere, I will never understand why anyone would pay more than $300 for a bike just to have to worry about it being stolen. But as you say, to each his own.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BurntZ
Yep, to each his own. It makes me feel good that I paid $500 less for my Fit than you did for your bike. As one who takes their bike everywhere, I will never understand why anyone would pay more than $300 for a bike just to have to worry about it being stolen. But as you say, to each his own.
Bit insulting. I've owned my bike for a while now and I spent that over the years; derailleurs wear out, shifters break, wheels bend... Bicycling is an expensive sport, it adds up. But if you're doing it for leisure you shouldn't have an issue.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:33 AM
Wow i am GLAD there are few of us cyclists fits owners. Iam one proud cyclist fit owner. Have fun...

Old 01-27-2014, 10:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by De36
I really hate seeing people stuff their nice expensive bikes in the car, (ugh, heartbreaking again). Its bad for the bike and car. The rear hanger being bent for one, I swear bike companies make the hangers out of tin foil.
This is a pretty silly statement. Your heart aches for all of us folks who 'stuff' our pricey bicycles into the cavernous Fit? Its not bad for the bike, or the car. In fact, I would argue there is LESS risk with transporting bikes in the car than in a hitch/rooftop rack. Would you rather have a bent hanger from catching something while loading into the hatch, or a dented and scratched roof from slipping while loading into your roof rack? 2 sides of the same coin... there is no perfect solution for everyone, just as there is no perfect do-it-all bicycle.

I personally enjoy the security of having my bike locked up inside my vehicle since I park on the street overnight. Keeps me from having to unload/reload every day.

To each their own... but lets approach this topic with a bit of rationality and tact.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
I carry mine like this:

Old 01-27-2014, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by teamkitty
I carry mine like this:

deym!

Old 01-28-2014, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by Bobby12many
This is a pretty silly statement. Your heart aches for all of us folks who 'stuff' our pricey bicycles into the cavernous Fit? Its not bad for the bike, or the car. In fact, I would argue there is LESS risk with transporting bikes in the car than in a hitch/rooftop rack. Would you rather have a bent hanger from catching something while loading into the hatch, or a dented and scratched roof from slipping while loading into your roof rack? 2 sides of the same coin... there is no perfect solution for everyone, just as there is no perfect do-it-all bicycle.

I personally enjoy the security of having my bike locked up inside my vehicle since I park on the street overnight. Keeps me from having to unload/reload every day.

To each their own... but lets approach this topic with a bit of rationality and tact.
well said! My bike barely slides with my set up...if I suffer a bent hanger...my bike must be made out of paper.

I just got back from VT last weekend. My brother in law had his boards on the rack of his FJ...unloaded his boards completely covered in road splash/salt/crap... I think I will keep my gear inside haha

Old 01-28-2014, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
This is just another option, but you could install a tow hitch and use a hitch mounted bike rack. It would be easy to remove when you're not using it, keep the bikes outside the car, and probably give better gas mileage when the bikes are on and no gas mileage difference when they're off. You'd also have the added benefit of being able to pull a small trailer which I've found the Fit does very well. My Fit and 4x8 utility trailer has made a great replacement for the gas guzzling Dodge Ram I used to have in the driveway!

-Dustin

Old 01-28-2014, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bobby12many

Although I never suggested a perfect solution, and have never seen one, I have experienced others and my own misfortunes. I've seen more good than bad with the roof mount. I doubt someone who would steal a bike (or anything) would consider the bike unobtainable because it was on the other side of a piece of glass. A false sense of security. I've seen the windows smashed in for the change in the ashtray. I apologize if I came off irrational and loutish.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member
I ride a Trance X2 29er. Pop off the wheel and the bike lays completely flat!

Old 02-02-2014, 08:11 AM
clo
wondering if it's possible to fit 3 road bikes in with one facing the opposite direction? my son and I race cyclocross and I'm usually bringing to cx bikes and a road bike for warm ups on the trainer.

anyone tried this yet?

Originally Posted by klaw091

Here is my setup.

I saw many people go the 2x4 option but I wanted to do something a little more clean. I got a MDF from homedepot, I got a 3x5 (I believe) 3/8" thick, it fit perfectly between the raised edges in the trunk. I stapled a outdoor carpet, also from home depot, to the MDF and then attached the fork mounts.

It sits in there flush under the cargo tray. I can leave the mounts in the car and be always ready to stow and go two bikes. My bikes are both 56cm. I also stagger the mounts to accommodate wider cockpit set-ups.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
I used to take off the front wheel and lay it in the back. But finally put on a hitch and got a bike rack. I like that setup better. A lot less hassle than having to take stuff out of the back, remove the rear shelf and fold the seats down.

Quick Reply: Bike in a Fit