2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Term Review: 125000 miles of New York City driving and 3 years later...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
@ SevereService: Great post. Care to comment on the seats, particularly the driver's seat?

Old 04-10-2016, 09:52 AM
SevereService,

The problem with the fan switch is not the switch it is the resistor block that is somewhere on the airbox. When that coiled up wire that is cooled by the air movement in the airbox breaks it makes the fan motor run at WOT. Easy fix. Happened on my 2009 Fit in year 2.

Also TOTALLY agree with how you change your transmission oil. I run Redline D6 and do a cocktail of Redline racing and lightweight racing to keep the viscosity inline with the D6 specs and reduce the slip agent to get quick, clean, and less wear/heat shifts for better clutch pack longevity. I do the flushes with all Redline D6 and at the last fill add 3 quart cocktail of the 4 of the Redline racing (no slip agents).

I ditched the ceramics for high end semi metallics.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
The blower and resistor are very simple swap outs...only a screwdriver needed...they are under the glove box.

I bought both from Amazon for less than $100. Installation took 15 minutes.

Please don't pay $300 for something that's as easy to replace. Its no harder to do than swapping out the cabin air filter.

Resistor is $24.
Amazon.com: Genuine Honda 79335-TF0-G01 Resistor Assembly: Automotive Amazon.com: Genuine Honda 79335-TF0-G01 Resistor Assembly: Automotive

Blower assembly is $54
Amazon.com: TYC 700247 Honda Fit Replacement Blower Assembly: Automotive Amazon.com: TYC 700247 Honda Fit Replacement Blower Assembly: Automotive

Old 05-06-2016, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member
Why give Firestone (or anyone else) a chance to rip you off when front brake pads are so easy to change? And if it takes 90 minutes, you are extremely slow.

I worked in an automotive R&D department (Harley-Davidson) for 16 years. While the proper oil is important, too many people concentrate on the oil and not the filter. A good filter is more important than the difference between Mobil One and Kendall oil. Not only the filter material but also the return valve rating. The return valve is an important part as its value determines when it will allow oil to bypass dirty filter material.

There are many unbiased oil and filter studies that can be found on the internet. Most agree that the difference between good and bad filters is a gorge compared to the difference between the various types of oil.

Personally, I use Amsoil oil and filters in all my vehicles except for the K&N that I use on my HD. I own a 2003 FLSTC and I prefer the K&N filter because it is stainless with a nut on the end which allows you to put a ratchet or wrench on it. The HD has 84k miles, the 2003 F150 has 126k miles and the 2013 Fit has 47K. Before the Fit, I put 278k miles on a 2004 Ford Focus with Aimsoil. I have never once had an oil or engine issue.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SevereService
- Air condition/heat fan speed control knob. There have been two occasions where this knob went out on me. It would only activate the fan at full speed or off. This was replaced two times by the dealership and I was lucky I had bought the HondaCare extended warranty so it was covered.
That's a known problem, covered by this the TSB referenced in this thread:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...igh-speed.html

Once both the blower and the resistor are replaced, you shouldn't have this problem again.

If you do, the resistor is about $30 and the blower $125 from online Honda parts stores. They're not difficult to change once you remove the glove box. My dealer charged $100 to diagnose, and then wanted another $500 parts and labor. They refused to honor the TSB because of "high mileage". (Apparently putting on the miles wears out the resistor with a known defect).

At 151,000 miles, we've had a couple of recalls (valve spring, upcoming airbag replacement) and the fan resistor incident, but that's it. No other repairs, at all.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SevereService
I wanted to make an additional note.

In the next 100,000 miles I will probably encounter the exact same issues as I did the first 100,000 miles. So my expectation is for:

- Additional TPMS sensor problems- cost is about $300 per sensor at the dealer
- Another replacement of the fan switch- Im guessing $300
- Another alternator

All of the work was done under warranty at the local Honda dealership, but now I have passed the mileage threshold for the Hondacare warranty. From this point forward, all work on the car will be performed at my local independent mechanic.
Americas tire will do the tire sensors for WAY less than the dealer...

Old 05-12-2016, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
@ SevereService: Great post. Care to comment on the seats, particularly the driver's seat?

Riiight??

Originally Posted by Satchel
The blower and resistor are very simple swap outs...only a screwdriver needed...they are under the glove box.

I bought both from Amazon for less than $100. Installation took 15 minutes.

Please don't pay $300 for something that's as easy to replace. Its no harder to do than swapping out the cabin air filter.

Resistor is $24.
Amazon.com: Genuine Honda 79335-TF0-G01 Resistor Assembly: Automotive

Blower assembly is $54
Amazon.com: TYC 700247 Honda Fit Replacement Blower Assembly: Automotive
Noted. I imagine I will be coming back to this page when that happens in mine lol

Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
Americas tire will do the tire sensors for WAY less than the dealer...

Yeah I think a local tire shop installed mine for 8$ a tire, but I also had gotten new tires swapped over

Old 05-19-2016, 01:02 PM
Still on stock brakes at 59,000+ miles and 4 years (2012). Driven from Fairbanks to the Keys.... still runs good. This summer going to drive from Orlando to El Paso and back. I'm sure it will run just fine. I did need to change the trans fluid and added a trans cooler though. Maybe a coolant temp sensor? I have many more miles to go.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:22 PM
Its good to see long term reviews. We just picked up our 2011 base w/manual transmission as a daily beater / dog hauler. It has only 31k on it and I'm hoping it lasts us a very long time.

On another note, I'm an auto damage adjuster for a large insurance company. I have a company car (for now, I am converting to an inside adjuster in a few weeks). I couldn't imagine using your own car for this line of work. My company car gets totally destroyed on a daily basis with all of the stoping, starting, running, etc. My car is a focus with 56k and the transmission was replaced already.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member
I recently received a JD Power invite to report on my 3 years of Fit usage, and they included payment...a whole dollar bill! Being somewhat honest I felt I had to do the survey, and was astounded in reporting no defects, a shock because I had come from a 2001 Golf TDI in which the car was great but all the 'small' things were problems. I've had 3 oil changes, replaced the wiper inserts, and occasionally put gas in the tank.
The final question asked about my biggest complaint with the Fit: 'glare from the top of the dashboard'.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
I almost threw out one of those JD power surveys. good thing I didnt, that would have been a total waste of a good crispy clean $1 bill