2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow tires or chains? In Pacific Northwest

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 07:57 AM
5 Year Member
Cool Snow tires or chains? In Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest doesn't get snow very often. When we DO get snow accidents are plentiful for 2 reasons (I think) 1. drivers don't drive at appropriate speeds/distances & 2. Most Roads aren't plowed because we don't have many plows since it seldom snows here.

ANYWAY...I recently got a 2013 fit base model AT with 3 miles on it so it's factory equipped. I have a 13 mile (mostly interstate highway) 1way commute to work and my boss said I "better be able to get to work if it snows next winter". The Last snow We had (8 inches 1st day) I stayed home 3 days To be safe. I had a 1998 accord lx v6 and probably could have made it, but safety first ya know.

I am looking for advice regarding next winter in case it snows. Options are:

1. have chains on hand in case it snows
2. upgrade factory tires for all weather conditions
3. Get studded tires
4. Let it ride and drive extremely careful.

Note: I plan to put extra weight in the back if I have to drive in the snow, although I am not sure how much weight I should put in the back. I am thinking 50-100lbs.

The fit is SO much lighter than my accord was so I feel like I am driving a tin can...it's a fun little car but a very different driving experience. ANY advice or driving experiences from fit owners who live in areas where snow is rare would be greatly appreciated, but all advice and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.
I want to have time to budget for and order whatever equipment I may need before winter hits. Thanks for taking time to read this (and thx for input if you give it)

Old 06-17-2014, 08:38 AM
Congrats on the new purchase.

The cheapest and possibly easiest route is to hit Les Schwab and get some chains. That's what I did. It cost me around $80. You can probably get 'em cheaper online but the peace of mind from getting them from LS was worth it for me. You can also return them at the end of the snowy season for a full refund.

When we had our last major snow, the VSA worked wonders for me with just the stock tires.

I'm not sure about putting weight in the back. As you undoubtedly know, it's a FWD car.

Whatever you decide to do, be safe!

Old 06-17-2014, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
It is 4wd? I thought it was fwd. I had done some research before I purchased it but not as much as I would normally have done because of my circumstances. Anyway if it is 4wd I feel better about snow driving. I feel silly that I didn't know that. Also the salesman told me it was a fwd car...anyway 4wd yay!

I was planning on doing the LS chain deal like you mentioned. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing and it's a bargain for just $80 lol.

Thx for the input and info.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Cecefit
It is 4wd? I thought it was fwd.......
Regret to break your bubble but its FRONT Wheel Drive.

During my college days back in Ohio, had a '68 Firebird 400 Rear wheel drive and it went everywhere in winter. Get a good set of SNOW tires (e.g. Bridgestone Blizzacks, Michelin Ice) and you'll get to work with no problems.

However, if the road conditions are primarily ICE, even with snow tires, studded or chains, best to stay home. Its not you, but the other drivers who are ill-prepared that could cause mishaps. Ice just makes the situation worse.

Best solution??? Move to my state and you'll love the winter season!!!

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 06-17-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
If it seldoms snows, just get a decent set of all seasons.

I live in the snow belt of south Canada (Wisconsin) and made it through three snow heavy winters in my 2008 Fit, on crap Firestone & General all-season tires.

The key to snow driving is simply giving yourself time & space to get places safely, as well as keeping all inputs gentle. You floor the gas, you won't move; slam the brakes, lock up; heavy steering input, spin or simply keep going straight.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
The Fit is lighter than most cars, but its tires are pretty narrow, so it works out. Even if you had RWD, 50-100 pounds is less than a joke. Would adding a passenger help with traction?

Stop panicking, have decent all seasons and drive slowly. If you really need chains or studs, stay home. You shouldn't be out in that stuff.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cecefit
Pacific Northwest doesn't get snow very often. When we DO get snow accidents are plentiful for 2 reasons (I think) 1. drivers don't drive at appropriate speeds/distances & 2. Most Roads aren't plowed because we don't have many plows since it seldom snows here.

ANYWAY...I recently got a 2013 fit base model AT with 3 miles on it so it's factory equipped. I have a 13 mile (mostly interstate highway) 1way commute to work and my boss said I "better be able to get to work if it snows next winter". The Last snow We had (8 inches 1st day) I stayed home 3 days To be safe. I had a 1998 accord lx v6 and probably could have made it, but safety first ya know.

I am looking for advice regarding next winter in case it snows. Options are:

1. have chains on hand in case it snows
2. upgrade factory tires for all weather conditions
3. Get studded tires
4. Let it ride and drive extremely careful.

Note: I plan to put extra weight in the back if I have to drive in the snow, although I am not sure how much weight I should put in the back. I am thinking 50-100lbs.

The fit is SO much lighter than my accord was so I feel like I am driving a tin can...it's a fun little car but a very different driving experience. ANY advice or driving experiences from fit owners who live in areas where snow is rare would be greatly appreciated, but all advice and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.
I want to have time to budget for and order whatever equipment I may need before winter hits. Thanks for taking time to read this (and thx for input if you give it)
We get similar winters here. Get a set of winter tires; I personally recommend the studless type, as they'll give you better grip, responsiveness & control when you're not on glare ice -- even then, there are some conditions where the studless ones will outperform studded ones.

I have a long relatively steep hill to climb to get home in the evening with an insersection at the bottom that doesn't allow a lot of speed to be built up for climbing, and the house is at the downhill end of a cul-de-sac - i.e. a standing start in the morning to get out to the major roads. My studless winter tires have never let me down going either direction, whether it's 10" of fresh snow or icy ruts after a day or two without the roads being cleared.

If you get the winter tires mounted on their own set of wheels, the dealer you bought the tires from may even swap them for your summer tires free of charge.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:51 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i live in a snow belt state. i run snow tires in the winter.

i also tried the continental dws. for the most part it worked great, they are all season tires. but in deep snow nothing beats dedicated snow tires.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
if you do plan on getting tire chains with the intent of actually using them, be sure to get ones that are easy to put on even if that means spending a bit more.
The features to look for are that y
1) you can put them on without having to move the car.
2) are auto-centering, auto-tightening.

If you buy chains but they're such a burden to put on, it's almost not worth it.

The thule cs-10 (size 075) chains work great for a fit sport and include 1 pull removal (which is worth it). Not sure what's the right size for base.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:45 AM
5 Year Member
Around here I do not usually plow my 450 feet long driveway unless the snow exceeds 8". We officially had over 100 inches of snow last winter.

Your problem will not be traction with a good set of all season tires. Your problem will be how much accumulated snow is on the road. Once the accumulation exceeds the ground clearance on your vehicle, you will high center it and get stuck. Snow tires or chains will only marginally help you after that. My daughter drives a Fit and drives 45 miles one way to work every day through the "lake effect" snow belt which gets more snow than we do here. She did miss one day of work when the state closed the roads down and told her to go back home.

I would recommend that you learn how to drive in snow, get a set of all season tires. We have Yokohama Avid Ascend in stock size. Then if you feel you must, get a set of chains and carry them. Make sure you know how to install them. I doubt that you will use them very often.

Last edited by n9cv; 06-18-2014 at 02:51 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 4thCornerFit
We get similar winters here. Get a set of winter tires; I personally recommend the studless type, as they'll give you better grip, responsiveness & control when you're not on glare ice -- even then, there are some conditions where the studless ones will outperform studded ones.

I have a long relatively steep hill to climb to get home in the evening with an insersection at the bottom that doesn't allow a lot of speed to be built up for climbing, and the house is at the downhill end of a cul-de-sac - i.e. a standing start in the morning to get out to the major roads. My studless winter tires have never let me down going either direction, whether it's 10" of fresh snow or icy ruts after a day or two without the roads being cleared.

If you get the winter tires mounted on their own set of wheels, the dealer you bought the tires from may even swap them for your summer tires free of charge.
Just called les scwab they quoted $522.80 for set of winter tires...eek! I know being safe is "priceless" but I haven't had a car payment in 15 years, having one now has left my budget TIGHT.

I think I better ask my boss to increase any bonus I may get so I can afford winter tires to get to work if it snows next year lol. Maybe that'll shift his stance on "you better be here".

I read that YOU (4th) know it's not careful drivers who are the issue, I appreciate that. Others posted that I should learn to drive in the snow. After I did a 360 driving in snow for the first time I GOT IT...drive slow, pay attention, leave PLENTY of room to stop. If there is more I should know I welcome input.

For the neigh Sayers who think "learning to drive in snow" is all I need to do. I see your point and I appreciate your opinion but Ask Las Vegans about people driving in rain there. It's a totally different beast altogether. Because it rarely rains there oils rises up and create almost black ice conditions. Folks who "know how to drive in rain" would be VERY suprised how differently you have to drive when it's raining in Vegas as opposed to say in Seattle.

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate you taking the time.
Be well

Old 06-18-2014, 09:10 PM
I vote snow tires. chains are a bitch.

finally another PNW person in here.... *crickets*

Old 06-19-2014, 02:24 PM
I always had a set of studs on rims for my '89 Civic, now I just park my Fit and grab the CR-V if it's "Cascade Concrete" or gets packed into a sheet of compact snow/ice.

Last edited by YouKantPimpInaKIA; 06-19-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
FYI, Sears has the General Altimax Arctic 185/55/15 (exactly the setup I run) for $65 each. you'll have to pay Tax and have them mounted/balanced but if you have it done at a sears (again, what I did), the total cost won't be much more than $350 for the tires (mounted and balanced). I purchased a separate set of 15" integra alloy wheels for my Fit off of Craigslist for $50 (plus the trade of a 98 civic strut tower brace). Total out of pocket for me was (If I remember correctly) at or under $400 (including wheels, tires, mounting, & Balancing.) The Altimax tires for the fit right now are $260 Plus Tax and mounting. (also, fyi, they are studdable if desired)

~SB

Old 06-25-2014, 02:46 AM
5 Year Member
PNW reppin' lol

I'm in Vancouver, BC... and even though our winters don't generally include snow, having winter tires helps in ALL driving with temps below 7 degrees Celsius (or anything below 45F for you yanks lol)

I sprung for a set of Blizzaks my first winter with the Fit (2011) and haven't regreted it. It was the perfect excuse to ditch the crappy Dunlops as well.

Just don't wait until winter to buy them. As summer comes to an end, make sure you're looking if you decide to go the winter tire route. You know how everyone panics when they hear snow in the forecast lol, beat the rush!

Old 07-08-2014, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
Your Fit with stocks will be fine on flat roads and lowgrade inclines.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
Altimax Arctics are the way to go if you need cheep snows. Ran a set (studded, probably won't bother with the studs next time) on my 97 civic, then put them on the Fit when I got that. They are great and cheap. The Fit is a fine snow car, but it more comes down to the driver.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
Its not so much the snow that causes the problems its the part where it turns into 8" of ice the next day.

Most people also panic since the local news makes it sound like the sky is falling so they all frantically try to make it home doing 70mph still...I used to drive a mustang gt around in the snow on the east side of the state all I had was snow tires, sandbags and a shovel and I was fine as long as the grade wasn't too steep.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sultanofslide
Its not so much the snow that causes the problems its the part where it turns into 8" of ice the next day.
Don't forget the ice-ruts on the uncleared roads, from the tire tracks of vehicles that have driven through & half-melted the snow which then freezes overnight...

Originally Posted by sultanofslide
Most people also panic since the local news makes it sound like the sky is falling so they all frantically try to make it home doing 70mph still...I used to drive a mustang gt around in the snow on the east side of the state all I had was snow tires, sandbags and a shovel and I was fine as long as the grade wasn't too steep.
Yep! I grew up & learned to drive in NY & New England; drove front- & rear-wheel drive cars without snow tires in winter - one definitely learns how to handle snow then! Yes, the roads get cleared pretty quickly there, but until they do, it can be a challenge to get around.

So even though I personally probably don't need them, I do appreciate the extra grip & control I get from my winter tires!

Old 08-17-2014, 03:08 PM
Forget the Winter Tires in the PNW

I am in the same general region as you, and I can't justify winter tires for the Fit. We've had ours for coming up on three years, and for the little snow we get, it does great. We live on a hill, and I can easily get up with up to a couple of inches of snow. We also have a 4WD vehicle, but that is used for skiing/hunting/back country travel/etc.

Especially since you are tight on funds, it's probably better to sit out the really bad snow days for a few days a year, rather than fork over the money for new winter tires, and the expense of mounting and balancing 2x a year.

Honestly, the biggest fear I have in winter here are the yahoos with their SUV's thinking that they can defy the laws of physics!