2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

New Fit Sport stock tire size --> Michelin Premier A/S

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 10:20 PM
New Fit Sport stock tire size --> Michelin Premier A/S

I realize that this topic has been talked about to the point of beating a dead horse. I've read a TON of the posts on here raving about the Conti Extreme DWS and the 205/50 R16 size, and also arguing the pros vs cons of pretty much EVERY tire size that would fit the stock Sport rims.

This tire is a new contender to the field, being released only this spring

Premier A/S | Michelin Tires

Anyone tried this new pair of shoes?

My new to me 2009 Fit Sport needs new shoes soon. The previous owner put 195/55R16 Dunlop Direnza on, and they're on their last legs. I've never driven a Fit with stock size tires, so I only have these to go off of.

With this new Michelin tire in the odd-ball size that we call our own, anyone think that they might out-do the Conti DWS 205/50 R16?

Sincerely,

jeeves

p.s. I'll post a DIY tire change and balance whenever I decide what kind of rubber to get

Old 08-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by jeeves
I realize that this topic has been talked about to the point of beating a dead horse. I've read a TON of the posts on here raving about the Conti Extreme DWS and the 205/50 R16 size, and also arguing the pros vs cons of pretty much EVERY tire size that would fit the stock Sport rims.

This tire is a new contender to the field, being released only this spring

Premier A/S | Michelin Tires

Anyone tried this new pair of shoes?

My new to me 2009 Fit Sport needs new shoes soon. The previous owner put 195/55R16 Dunlop Direnza on, and they're on their last legs. I've never driven a Fit with stock size tires, so I only have these to go off of.

With this new Michelin tire in the odd-ball size that we call our own, anyone think that they might out-do the Conti DWS 205/50 R16?

Sincerely,

jeeves

p.s. I'll post a DIY tire change and balance whenever I decide what kind of rubber to get

I just did some exhaustive research on tires for the Fit, the Michelin premier a/s look good and according to tire rack they test quite well- they have a higher treadwear rating and stop better in the rain than the DWS by Continental, however, the Michelin Premiers are a brand tire, brand new type of tire so there is no history on them, the tread depth is shallower than most tires likely due to the hidden tread underneath that appears after they wear, and also they are more expensive like a hundred bucks on a set of 4 than the Conti's. So its a personal decision, the Conti's have over 15 million miles worth of data and reviews on tire rack and they review very well. They also review very well specifically for the Fit. The Conti's also come with 12 months (2/32 of treadwear) Of free road hazard assistance. Michelin however is arguably the best tire manufacturer in the world but its still somewhat of a gamble trying a new tire, they could be great, or they could get recalled in 6 months. For me, I couldn't go against the data compiled by tire rack, the many positive reviews here on this site and the free road hazard, - I'm getting my continental dws put on tomorrow, at Walmart. (Pray for me, Walmart's always hit or miss where I live!)

Old 08-22-2014, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
I realize that this topic has been talked about to the point of beating a dead horse. I've read a TON of the posts on here raving about.....................................at they might out-do the Conti DWS 205/50 R16?

Sincerely,

jeeves

Hello All

I was running my Fit Sport with the stock tires (for Summer) and Winter tires Toyo Observe GSi-5 (for Winter), surely the stock are not good as the Winter tires the last ones were designed to have better handling than a Summer tire.

But now I changed my stocks for the General Tire G-MAX AS-03 205-50-R16 and works very well, better handling, stability im very happy

Notice: I changed my wheels too, now in Mugen XJ Wheels

Luis

Honda Fit 2013 - Blue

Old 08-22-2014, 04:24 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i would search around how the new michelins do in deepish snow. the DWS did very well up to about 2.5" of snow..then grip quickly deteriorated from about 3" onwards.

for me there's really no substitute for snow tires in my area. for those in areas with light snow, DWS will do just fine.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:19 AM
Money where my mouth ...

Ordered a set of 4 Mich Premier A/S last week, 185/55 R16. I'll install them Friday or Saturday and post my thoughts and findings.

Figure it's time I put my money where my mouth is.

Sincerely,
jeeves

Old 01-14-2016, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
--------- removed by user

Last edited by werd814; 12-25-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:33 AM
Hey there, I was wondering if you could advise on how the Michelin Premiers are doing? I'm getting the stock 195/55 R15
I just got quoted 4 of them out the door $540.00 then they have a $70.00 rebate so total will be $470.00

Ordered a set of 4 Mich Premier A/S last week, 185/55 R16. I'll install them Friday or Saturday and post my thoughts and findings.

Figure it's time I put my money where my mouth is.

Sincerely,
jeeves

Old 03-28-2016, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by andrew19942001
I just did some exhaustive research on tires for the Fit, the Michelin premier a/s look good and according to tire rack they test quite well- they have a higher treadwear rating and stop better in the rain than the DWS by Continental, however, the Michelin Premiers are a brand tire, brand new type of tire so there is no history on them, the tread depth is shallower than most tires likely due to the hidden tread underneath that appears after they wear, and also they are more expensive like a hundred bucks on a set of 4 than the Conti's. So its a personal decision, the Conti's have over 15 million miles worth of data and reviews on tire rack and they review very well. They also review very well specifically for the Fit. The Conti's also come with 12 months (2/32 of treadwear) Of free road hazard assistance. Michelin however is arguably the best tire manufacturer in the world but its still somewhat of a gamble trying a new tire, they could be great, or they could get recalled in 6 months. For me, I couldn't go against the data compiled by tire rack, the many positive reviews here on this site and the free road hazard, - I'm getting my continental dws put on tomorrow, at Walmart. (Pray for me, Walmart's always hit or miss where I live!)
Tire rack will match prices on like products. Walmart pays vendors to make special versions of many products just for them,, usually at a lower spec. Careful.. (Just sayin.. ) No way in hell I'd let them mount tires..

Sometimes cheaper isn't..

Old 03-29-2016, 07:42 AM
I've had good results with Cooper tires on all my other cars and I couldn't find any reviews here, sooooo
I'll be putting on 4 new Cooper CS5 touring tires on tomorrow 195/55 R15. Price is $369.00 out the door complete then I'll receive a $70.00 rebate gift card so the bottom line total is $299.00
I just bought my car last Monday 2007 fit sport 60,000 miles on it and the person before me put cheap Riken Raptor tires on them, the thread is cracking on all 4 tires... I'm hoping the best in all weather conditions with the cooper tires :-)

Old 04-01-2016, 12:11 PM
Funny guys. If I was staying stock wheels I'd do 205/45 for less wondering on free way but I always go +1 rim size when getting the 1st tire set of tires. For one then tires are almost GIVEN to you with then combo.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
I have a set of Michelin Premier on order in 185/55R16 stock tire size. I've finally worn out the factory Dunlops, which we are all know are marginal.

I'm a huge Michelin fan, so I was happy to see these available in the factory tire size. The alternate sizes discussed on the forum are either love it or hate it, so I'll go with what Honda engineers thought best.

These are made in the USA too.

I'll post my thoughts on them after I get some miles on them. I'm looking forward to not spinning my tires constantly as the Dunlops did. :-)

Old 11-28-2017, 04:40 PM
My Fit is 2010 and doesn't even have 50K miles yet. I don't drive much. I had Dunlap and it was crap. I upgraded to Michelin Premier and I can't tell the difference except for my credit card being charged almost $800. Within 2 weeks I ran over something and lost air pressure and Discount Tire (I don't know why I went there; I hate that place) patched the tire. I live in Tucson where the streets are covered with potholes. I have about 2 weeks to decide whether or not to keep these tires. Discount said they don't have the Yokohama and have to order them from Phoenix which they will but is Yokohama better. I think they only had 2 choices for the Fit. Suggestions. I know nothing about cars.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
greyhound-girl: First, sorry for your loss. Second, I have had the Continental DWS in the 205/50-16 size and they wore out in 20K miles, they were too soft in the sidewalls. Third, I have no experience with Yoko tires but have had good experience with my General Altimax rt43 205/50-16 on 16x7 rims on a 2011 Sport AT. These don't even appear to be worn in 15K miles, and have had good outcomes running in snow, ice, rain in Pennsylvania. I rotate and keep pressures at 29-30 psi front / back.

I'm sure that there are many tires out there that can meet your needs but I don't understand what disappoints you with the Michelins. They make many good tires for truck, car, and motorcycle.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:16 PM
Michelin Premier

Spike, so far the Mch Premier do not ride any better than the Dunlaps I just got rid of with the worn thread. I only had these damn tires 2 weeks and one tire already needed air as it had a nail or something and they (Discount Tire) put on a patch. New tires should be feel like new tires. Thanks for your response.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
"Feel like new tires". Do you AutoCross / Drag Race? Nails / screws / metal punctures happen to all of us regardless of miles.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
Reading the post, yeah I'm confident she doesn't do any of those events. If you're a casual driver, one all season isn't going to feel any different from another.

The Yokohama aren't any better.

The nail was just an unfortunate occurrence, nothing caused by the tires.

Tires can't control what you drive over.