2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Buying Fit 2009 Base model AT. Want to upgrade rims and tint the car.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:04 AM
Buying Fit 2009 Base model AT. Want to upgrade rims and tint the car.

Hi guys, first time poster on this forum. Just bought Fit 2009 Base model with AT (storm silver) from my parents in CT, USA. I'm going to import it to Canada and want to improve a look of it. Since it's a base model unfortunately I guess Sport model body-kit is not available for sale anywhere in Ontario or Connecticut for reasonable money plus it will cost good money to take old one off and put new one on to the car? So I guess I will have to do with base model. However, I wanted to ask what relatively cheap ways exist to improve the look of base model Fit? I will tint it (for around $200) - that should improve look a bit. I also wanted to change stock rims to some alloys. Not sure if I should stay 15'' or go to 16''? I tracked down acura 1.7 el alloys - do you guys think they will look good on Fit? here's how they look: HONDA CIVIC Acura el ALLOY RIM 15 INCH RIM 1 ONLY 4x100 | tires, rims | Mississauga / Peel Region | Kijiji I found same rims for $200 for a set of 4 in good condition.
What else could be done to improve the look with reasonable money and not going crazy?
Thanks

Old 10-20-2014, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
'09 base upgrades

I swapped the stock honeycomb grille on my '09 dark blue base Fit for this much nicer Sport grille:
http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-Sport-Grill-Fit__08F21-TK6-100.aspx
Kind of overpriced but definitely improves front end appearance.
I kept the steelies, thoroughly cleaned and sprayed them with Rustoleum gloss black. Factory coat wears thru very easily and rusts. Plus brake dust won't stick to them any more.
Interior and exterior, switch to LEDs. These are excellent for dome and mod under deck lid mtd on center, small wire to side lite connection. WAY brighter, inside hatch is SO dark without it!
http://m.ebay.com/itm/280919683745?nav=SEARCH

Last edited by gkitf16; 10-20-2014 at 12:46 PM. Reason: add'l info
Old 10-20-2014, 01:03 PM
Thank you gkitf16. Wow that grill is expensive, but looks much better. I'll try to find it cheaper if any luck.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member
It's worth it IMO. Silver area is clear coated, simple install. The old one got hazy-looking, and could not be restored. Tried cleaning it out but never got it a rich deep black again.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:15 PM
gkitf16: Yes, I agree. That is some easiest upgrade for Fit that really improves the look.

A side question guys: do any of you have a rust problems or any spots starting anywhere yet, like rocker panels or lower edges of doors and wheel wheels and arches? I think it's not a problem for 2009 cars, but since I am not familiar with Honda i just wanted to ask. Thanks.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:42 PM
Get the car rust checked every October (needs a few weeks to set in for the winter weather).

I assume you know about the import modifications you may need to do to your car to bring it into the country? From memory of a previous car, I had to add child seat anchors and a front license plate frame (the car I was importing didn't already have those).

Also, if you're getting the car tinted and you're in the GTA, I'd heavily recommend taking it to Auto Links in Markham. It'll be more than $200 but they are the best shop and they guarantee their work and have a factory lifetime warranty.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:30 PM
Thanks megashaun. I'm in Cambridge, but I will see if i can make it to Auto Links. It's good to know a reputable shop around here.
Hopefully 2009 Fit has child anchor seats, but I'm worried about odometer readings that are in miles instead of km. Speedometer is marked in both units, but odometer (that little blue LCD display) shows only miles. Not sure if that will be a problem.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:58 PM
The odometer thing wasn't an issue for me but you may want to check here for all the details: https://www.riv.ca/ModificationAndIn...uirements.aspx

Old 10-20-2014, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by megashaun
The odometer thing wasn't an issue for me but you may want to check here for all the details: https://www.riv.ca/ModificationAndIn...uirements.aspx
Thanks! I will look into it.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:17 AM
<<<@!1!@>>>

The odometer should not be an issue, so i don't think you have to worry! Father has imported cars many a times.

On another note, my bestfriend (Fitfreak ID: wafflemelon) and I both have fits and we are from the Niagara region which is only roughly under an hour away from Cambridge and I am up in Cambridge regularly to see the gf so if you ever wanna meet up let us know. We are always down to meet fellow Fit enthusiasts!

Here is some more ideas for you Fit!

If you are into aftermarket stereos you could get this from amazon to add single or double DIN radios.
Amazon.com : Scosche Dash Kit for 2009 Honda Fit Double Din and Din with Pocket : Vehicle Receiver Universal Mounting Kits : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Scosche Dash Kit for 2009 Honda Fit Double Din and Din with Pocket : Vehicle Receiver Universal Mounting Kits : Car Electronics

You could add door visors. 2009-2011 Genuine Honda Fit Accessories: College Hills Honda

Or these door sill trim look pretty good as well. Door Sill Trim - 08F05-TK6-110 - College Hills Honda

You could always add JDM red Honda emblems or debadge the fit logo and put a Honda Jazz emblem on as well, just make sure they are authentic!

Keep your fit looking like the base model! I wanted to do the same as you and add the sport kit. A few members talked me out of it and I haven't looked back!

Cheers

Old 10-21-2014, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Stingy Stanos
<<<@!1!@>>>

The odometer should not be an issue, so i don't think you have to worry! Father has imported cars many a times.

On another note, my bestfriend (Fitfreak ID: wafflemelon) and I both have fits and we are from the Niagara region which is only roughly under an hour away from Cambridge and I am up in Cambridge regularly to see the gf so if you ever wanna meet up let us know. We are always down to meet fellow Fit enthusiasts!

Here is some more ideas for you Fit!

If you are into aftermarket stereos you could get this from amazon to add single or double DIN radios. Amazon.com : Scosche Dash Kit for 2009 Honda Fit Double Din and Din with Pocket : Vehicle Receiver Universal Mounting Kits : Car Electronics

You could add door visors. 2009-2011 Genuine Honda Fit Accessories: College Hills Honda

Or these door sill trim look pretty good as well. Door Sill Trim - 08F05-TK6-110 - College Hills Honda

You could always add JDM red Honda emblems or debadge the fit logo and put a Honda Jazz emblem on as well, just make sure they are authentic!

Keep your fit looking like the base model! I wanted to do the same as you and add the sport kit. A few members talked me out of it and I haven't looked back!

Cheers
Stingy Stanos thank you very much. Lot's of info for me to check.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:44 AM
5 Year Member
If you want to improve the look, I like simple things. I've shaved the rear FIT emblem, added a shorty antenna, covered the tow hook covers with some cheap CF look vinyl from Canadian Tire (paid $20 and still have most of the roll), and got some cheap Mini wheels. If you want to know what it all looks like, check the thread in my sig.

I have a couple plans for over the winter to get some more stuff, but keeping it simple and doing it on the cheap can give you some good results, too. It's not all about wheels and tint.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:29 AM
5 Year Member
Kitchener here.

Go to my thread to see mods on my 09 Sport.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:02 AM
Thanks guys, very nice job you did with your cars.