2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K20A in a GE8?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 12:30 PM
Lightbulb K20A in a GE8?

I've seen a K20A in a GD3 Fit (granted it was all JDM) but I was wondering if anyone had done anything like that with a GE8? Would you need to replace the transmission as well? And if so, could you say -swap a stock 5AT with a 6MT or something like that?

It's something that I'm looking towards doing, but I want to wait until I'm finished with getting my bachelors then my masters...

Old 11-18-2014, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member
How much searching have you done on this topic?

Old 11-18-2014, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
I believe it is possible with a k swap kit for a CRZ. Swapping from auto to manual is possible, but time consuming and has its own challenges with each platform. I've never done it, but I've heard it's easier in a Honda than other platforms.

Someone on here was showing progress updates in the what did you do to your ge8 thread, but I haven't seen anything about it lately.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:51 PM
I haven't looked into it much, though I'd love to find dimensions.

I read a thread on here before on what would be involved to swap the transmission from 5AT to 5MT, and I would agree that it'd be a relatively expensive thing to do, and a lot of work, but if you're already going to be taking out so much of the car, wouldn't it almost be necessary to replace the transmission?

I've got time to think about this though, about three years, I'm just thinking whether or not I should plan with the idea that I'll be using my current GE8 to do this, or if I should buy a salvaged GE8, or maybe it'd be better to use a GD3?

Old 11-18-2014, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
If you're considering a different car, I would use a 90s civic. You could find a shell for much cheaper than a Fit, and have way more options in terms of suspension, body modifications (cf parts, easy to find stock fenders for rolling, lots of replacement panels for damaged or rusted parts, etc.), and swaps are better documented and there is more help out there.

If you're stuck on the Fit, I would say use the GE. It's just a better built car than the GD was.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:46 PM
I like the Fit better than a Civic because it's different.

The issue right now in finding parts for the GE8 is the fact that there are USDM models and JDM models, and a lot of the aftermarket parts manufacturers are based out of places that sell JDM models. I see a lot more GE8's then I see GD3's, so I figure there'd probably be money in say, body kits and parts.

Is there a place to find all the dimensions of the GE8 somewhere? Or is it something that one would have to pull everything apart and measure it directly? I fear it may be the later.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
As far as I know, no dimensions have really been documented. The GE is the better of the two old generations, but its also the red headed step child of the Fit family.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:09 PM
K20 swap has been done in USDM GE Fit. One of the board members did it, but did not disseminate a lot of information about it. So it's definitely a possibility. It does use the CRZ K mounts as far as I know. You will need a transmission for the K series as well, plumbing, wiring, ECU, axles, all that fun stuff.

The GD K swap is well documented, and there are mount kits. There are threads on here about it.

Good luck if and when you decide to do it.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
K20 swap has been done in USDM GE Fit. One of the board members did it, but did not disseminate a lot of information about it. So it's definitely a possibility.
Because nobody said please. Lol

Last edited by Cocowheat; 12-19-2014 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by Cocowheat
Because nobody said please. Lol

There he is.

When do you plan to release your secret squirrel documents

Old 12-19-2014, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
There he is.

When do you plan to release your secret squirrel documents
And you STILL didn't say please.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
I have no plans to swap

Maybe OP will ask nicely lol

Old 12-19-2014, 03:56 PM
Looks like a tight fit.. (smh) How do you like it with the bigger motor? How's your MPG? I swapped a D15 for a B16 in an EF hatchback a long time ago and loved it.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
P.l.e.a.s.e.!

Old 12-21-2014, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by GetFit15
Looks like a tight fit.. (smh) How do you like it with the bigger motor? How's your MPG? I swapped a D15 for a B16 in an EF hatchback a long time ago and loved it.
Fitment isn't as tight as you think. It's a little snug there on the passenger frame rail, but else there's plenty of room. Don't need to cut or notch anything like you would on the GD.

Powerwise, it's obviously a lot more fun, and as for mpg I still averaged 30-33 if I drive nice.

Originally Posted by unfit2compete
P.l.e.a.s.e.!
What's the question?

Old 12-22-2014, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
I said it for them.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
I'm planning for a K24. Matters how many scholarships my kids get.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:23 PM
I've been offline for a while... that is a really awesome swap Cocowheat! I also really dig those demon eye projectors!

I've done a bit of searching around, and I was thinking I'd most likely buy an HPD K24 touring spec engine. (Unless someone can convince me otherwise...)

Cocowheat, if you wouldn't mind, could I please ask some questions? I'd love to know if you had to replace your transmission, or was the OEM transmission up to the job? Did you have to replace the whole ECU, or is reprogramming enough?

I'm off school for a few more weeks so when I'm not working (which is a lot of the time) I'm going to be doing my homework on doing this sort of swap. I came into a bit of money thanks to the holidays, and I believe something like this is something I want to do.

Thanks for you time!

Old 12-28-2014, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
Honda has that new little SUV that's based on the Fit. It has a Civic engine in it, so I'd think the Civic motor would fit OK in the Fit. I was surprised when I read that, cuz thought originally the SUV would have the Fit engine. Hmmmm....

Old 12-29-2014, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by 0ranGE8

Cocowheat, if you wouldn't mind, could I please ask some questions? I'd love to know if you had to replace your transmission, or was the OEM transmission up to the job? Did you have to replace the whole ECU, or is reprogramming enough?
I won't mind answering a few questions, but I'm going to be completely honest with you, just by hearing these questions, I'm not sure you're ready to be tearing your car apart.

My tranny is a stock k20z1 with a wavetrac LSD, yes.....obviously you'll need a k20 ECU.

Quick Reply: K20A in a GE8?