2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rodents have done serious damage to our Fit!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
Rodents have done serious damage to our Fit!

A little more than a year ago, my wife and I purchased a certified, single owner, low-mileage 2009 Honda Fit from a regional Honda dealer. This is my wife's vehicle.

This past summer, the 'check engine' signal began lighting up periodically. Our local Honda dealer's diagnostic tool indicated it was due to something with the gas cap. The light went out so we didn't pursue it.

About six weeks ago, the signal came on again--and remained on. We figured it was the gas cap again. Since the vehicle was running great, we decided to wait to take it to the dealership until it was due for inspection, this month. My wife took the vehicle to the local dealer yesterday. It failed emissions inspection.

The dealer performed a 'smoke test' and determined there was a leak in the fuel line. The serviceperson reached up above the tank and pulled out some material indicating a rodent had taken up residence there--and had likely chewed through a fuel line. He said that this happens frequently, especially when cold winter hits. The tank would need to be 'pulled' so as to determine the extent of the damage; he also ordered all of the parts that could be required to repair it. He said it could be the filler line (a relatively minor repair) or the main fuel line--a major repair, due to having to replace both the fuel line and the tank.

The dealer called a few moments ago, telling us that the situation is really bad. There's a big nest, made from foam, packed in on top of the fuel tank. The line to the tank is heavily chewed. I hope to have pictures soon. We don't know the final cost yet, but it could be as high as $1,500!!!

In addition to the immediate expense, we're concerned that the rodents will return and start a new nest as soon as the car is back in the driveway. We live in the city. The car has not gone unused for more than a day or two. So I'm amazed--and shocked--that this happened. I wonder if they've started a nest underneath my car, too?!?

I found a few similar threads on this forum...but does anyone have comments or suggestions? The dealer recommended putting mothballs around the driveway. That seems very hit or miss, IMO. They also suggested placing mothballs within the underside of the vehicle. I'm not sure how to secure them, especially on top of the fuel tank; the mothballs would need to be changed periodically, too.

What an expensive mess!!!

Old 12-16-2014, 05:24 PM
Dryer sheets are supposed to help but I don't know how you could attach them either.
If you can find some small cloth bags for moth balls you should be able to either tie or tape them under the car.

I parked a car in my son's yard in Colorado for a few days while visiting and they built a bed in the hood insulation.
Like you I drove car several times, next trip I laid dryer sheets under the hood, I had no problem other than having
to remove and replace the sheets each time I went somewhere.

Clifton

Old 12-16-2014, 10:54 PM
Dryer sheets have not worked for me, moth balls have worked. I don't see how mice could ruin the tank unless it is made of plastic and the mice have chewed it. I thought mice liked wire insulation? Mabey their tastes are evolving with automotive technology?

Old 12-17-2014, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
Our cat takes care of the local rodents.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
I used moth balls to keep squirrels out with success, but watch out because those things have poisonous fumes.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
Have u tried contacting ur local agent? Depending on ur carrier it may be covered under ur comprehensive coverage and u would only be responsible for ur comp deductable.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
I just changed the Air Filter on the FIT yesterday because something had begun to take up residence in the Air box. May need to put some Mesh across the intake (or maybe across the filter itself.)

~SB

Old 04-08-2015, 11:18 AM
mice

I have used peppermint oil (soak cotton balls) It smells a lot better than moth balls and burns the olfactory gland of the mice (their sinuses)

Old 04-09-2015, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
I'd put some rat poison in your garage. They seem drawn to it and that should take care of them for good!