2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Misfiring & coil replacement not fixing

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 06:20 PM
Misfiring & coil replacement not fixing

Hi. I have a 2009 Fit Sport with manual transmission. About 90k miles. A month or so ago, I was driving on the highway and the car lost most power. Took it to a local shop, it was giving the cylinder 1 misfire code. They replaced the coil with a new coil and it still misfired. They then replaced the new coil with the old coil and it was better. For a while. It was a completely intermittent problem initially, but now it drives terribly within the first 10 minutes of driving it.

Last week, I had the same problem. Took it to a different shop and they did the exact same thing - replaced cylinder 1 coil with a new one ... with same result: it immediately misfired and they put the old coil back and it seemed better. It's still at the shop. They first tried 2 Denso coil packs and today tried a Hitachi coil pack - with no success, still misfiring.

They are going to try an OEM coil pack directly from Honda tomorrow.

My question is: If the Honda coil pack doesn't solve the problem, then what can I try next? I was wondering if the connections/wires were faulty thus causing the problem. Is it possible the the coils tried so far were all faulty?

This is really frustrating and driving me CrAzy!

Thanks for any advice and insights.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
It could also be a clogged injector or low compression as well.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:21 PM
Thanks. Is there a rational reason why the performance would be different for different coil packs?

Old 12-18-2014, 11:14 PM
If not coil pack it could be the wires. Bad wires would give a bad spark too.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:54 AM
Did you measure the primary and secondary resistance of the original coil?

Old 12-19-2014, 09:32 AM
5 Year Member
Put in new spark plugs.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:14 PM
They put in new spark plugs. I asked them to check the wires and connectors. I'm waiting to hear back on how the Honda plugs worked. I'm ready to go the valve clearance and fuel injector cleaning route though.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:28 PM
I meant to say Honda coils ...

Old 12-19-2014, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Per the shop manual, there is a whole procedure to follow:

DTC Troubleshooting: P0300 (75) and any combination of P0301 (71), P0302 (72), P0303 (73), P0304 (74)
DTC P0300: Random Misfire and Any Combination of the Following:
DTC P0301: No. 1 Cylinder Misfire Detected
DTC P0302: No. 2 Cylinder Misfire Detected
DTC P0303: No. 3 Cylinder Misfire Detected
DTC P0304: No. 4 Cylinder Misfire Detected
Special Tools Required

Oil pressure gauge attachment 07NAJ-P070100

Low pressure gauge assy. 1,000 kpa 07406-0070002

Oil pressure hose 07ZAJ-S5A0200
NOTE:
  • Before you troubleshoot, record all freeze data and any on-board snapshot, and review the general troubleshooting information.
  • If the misfire is frequent enough to trigger detection of increased emissions during two consecutive driving cycles, the MIL will come on, and DTC P0300 (and some of the combination of P0301 through P0304) will be stored.
  • If the misfire is frequent enough to damage the catalyst, the MIL will flash whenever the misfire occurs, and DTC P0300 (and some of the combination of P0301 through P0304) will be stored. When the misfire stops, the MIL will remain on.
  • If any of the DTCs listed below are indicated at the same time as the random misfire DTCs, troubleshoot those DTCs first, then recheck for random misfire DTCs:
    P0102, P0103: Mass air flow (MAF) sensor
    P0107, P0108: Manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor
    P0171, P0172: Fuel system
    P0335, P0339: Crankshaft position (CKP) sensor
    P0365, P0369: Camshaft position (CMP) sensor
    P2648, P2649: VTEC system
  1. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II).
  1. Clear the DTC with the HDS.
  1. Start the engine, and let it idle without load (A/T in P or N, M/T in neutral).
  1. Monitor the OBD STATUS for DTC P0301, P0302, P0303, or P0304 in the DTCs MENU with the HDS.
Does the screen indicate FAILED?
YES-Go to Step 9.
NO-If the screen indicates PASSED, go to Step 5. If the screen indicates EXECUTING, keep idling until a result comes on. If the screen indicates OUT OF CONDITION or NOT COMPLETED, wait for several minutes, then recheck.
  1. Check the CYL1 MISFIRE, CYL2 MISFIRE, CYL3 MISFIRE, and/or CYL4 MISFIRE in the DATA LIST for 10 minutes with the HDS.
Does the CYL1 MISFIRE, CYL2 MISFIRE, CYL3 MISFIRE, and/or CYL4 MISFIRE show misfire counts?
YES-Go to Step 9.
NO-Go to Step 6.
  1. Test-drive the vehicle for several minutes in the range of these recorded freeze data parameters:
    • ENGINE SPEED
    • VSS
    • REL TP SENSOR
    • CLV (calculated load value)
    • APP SENSOR
  1. Monitor the OBD STATUS for DTC P0301, P0302, P0303, or P0304 in the DTCs MENU with the HDS.
Does the screen indicate FAILED?
YES-Go to Step 9.
NO-If the screen indicates PASSED, go to Step 8. If the screen indicates EXECUTING, keep driving until a result comes on. if the screen indicates OUT OF CONDITION or NOT COMPLETED, go to Step 6and recheck.
  1. Check the CYL1 MISFIRE, CYL2 MISFIRE, CYL3 MISFIRE, and/or CYL4 MISFIRE in the DATA LIST for 10 minutes with the HDS.
Does the CYL1 MISFIRE, CYL2 MISFIRE, CYL3 MISFIRE, and/or CYL4 MISFIRE show misfire counts?
YES-Go to Step 9.
NO-Intermittent failure, the system is OK at this time.■
  1. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0).
  1. Check the fuel quality.
Is the quality good?
YES-Go to Step 11.
NO-Drain the tank and fill with a known-good fuel, then go to Step 24.
  1. Inspect the spark plugs.If the spark plugs are fouled or worn, replace them.
  1. Test-drive the vehicle for several minutes in the range of these recorded freeze data parameters:
    • ENGINE SPEED
    • VSS
    • REL TP SENSOR
    • APP SENSOR
YES-Go to Step 14.
NO-Go to Step 24.
  1. Check the fuel pressure.
Is the fuel pressure OK?
YES-Go to Step 15.
NO-
  1. Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm (min −1 ) without load (A/T in P or N, M/T in neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, then let it idle.
  1. Check for these conditions:
    • Engine coolant temperature (ECT SENSOR 1) above 80 °C (176 °F)
    • A/T in P or N, M/T in neutral
    • All electrical loads off
  1. Monitor the ENGINE SPEED in the DATA LIST with the HDS, and hold the engine speed at 2,500 rpm (min −1 ). Once the engine speed is met, hold the accelerator pedal steady for more than 10 seconds.
Did the engine speed vary more than 100 rpm (min −1 ) from 2,500 rpm (min −1 )?
YES-Repeat Step 17.
NO-Go to Step 18.
  1. While holding the engine speed at 2,500 rpm (min −1 ), check the MAF SENSOR in the DATA LIST with the HDS.
Is there about 4.3−5.3 gm/s (L12B1 engine), 4.5−5.5 gm/s (L13Z1 engine), 4.6−5.7 gm/s (L15A7 engine)?
YES-Go to Step 19.
NO-Replace the MAF sensor/IAT sensor,then go to Step 24.
  1. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0).
  1. Remove rocker arm oil pressure switch.
  1. Attach the bolt (A) from the rocker arm oil control valve and connect the special tool as shown, the install the bolt that was removed to the pressure gauge joint attachment.
  1. Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm (min −1 ) without load (A/T in P or N, M/T in neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, then let it idle.
  1. Check the oil pressure at engine speeds of 1,000 rpm (min −1 ) and 2,000 rpm (min −1 ).
Is the oil pressure below 49 kPa (0.5 kgf/cm 2 , 7 psi)?
YES-Check for air in the fuel line, then go to Step 24.
NO-Inspect the VTEC system, then go to Step 24.
  1. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II).
  1. Reset the ECM/PCM with the HDS.
  1. Clear the CKP pattern with the HDS.
  1. Do the ECM/PCM idle learn procedure.
  1. Do the CKP pattern learn procedure.
    • ENGINE SPEED
    • VSS
    • REL TP SENSOR
    • APP SENSOR
  1. Check for Temporary DTCs or DTCs with the HDS.
Is DTC P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, or P0304 indicated?
YES-Check for a poor connections or loose terminals at the ignition coils, the injectors, and the ECM/PCM, then go to the troubleshooting for DTC P0301, P0302, P0303, or P0304.
NO-Go to Step 31.
Does the screen indicate PASSED?
YES-Troubleshooting is complete. If any other Temporary DTCs or DTCs were indicated in Step 30, go to the indicated DTC's troubleshooting.■
NO-If the screen indicates FAILED, go to Step 1and recheck. If the screen indicates EXECUTING, keep driving until a result comes on. If the screen indicates OUT OF CONDITION or NOT COMPLETED, go to Step 29.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae
If not coil pack it could be the wires. Bad wires would give a bad spark too.
please tell me you are not referring to spark plug wires

Old 12-20-2014, 09:56 PM
haha i read this and was stuck in dumbness.... u r so right. I caught it after u posted this. ty.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member
A single cylinder mis-fire code could be any number of things.
Intake leak
Head-gasket leak
cracked in the head
crack in the cylinder wall
valve seal leak
piston rings
burnt valve
spark plug
coil
signal to/from the coil
injector
signal to/from injector
The list goes on and on.

The code does not tell you the problem; the codes tell you were to start looking.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:03 PM
Did you just replace just one coil or the coils on all the cylinders? Typically just because it says cylinder 1 doesn't mean it is necessarily cylinder 1. It could be one of the other cylinders. We ended switching out 2 or 3 of the coils in our odyssey to find the right one when one of the coils went bad on it. I'm pretty sure the odyssey gave a cylinder 5 misfire and it was cylinder 2 that had the bad coil lol. And always buy Honda for parts like that. The only thing I don't buy Honda for parts is Cabin Air filters or if I had to replace some badge.

Last edited by rhop; 12-22-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
Unhappy any other symptoms?

such as strong fuel smell when idling?

I had an misfire issue and turns out 3 of my 4 spark plugs were hand loose and pulsing....

place your finger on the top of the existing coil while the engine is running, you shouldn't feel anything. If you do, it could be the plugs.

check the new coil packs, are they the same size? that could explain why you r car prefers old packs, but the issue remains.

other responses have given you better troubleshooting steps on the whole, but this issue I had was only discovered after 4 visits to honda, and a year of me searching for a solution online. One tech just came across this by accident, and I was appreciative.....didnt prevent my cat from failing after driving this way for 60k

Old 12-23-2014, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mtwalenciak
Hi. I have a 2009 Fit Sport with manual transmission. About 90k miles. A month or so ago, I was driving on the highway and the car lost most power. Took it to a local shop, it was giving the cylinder 1 misfire code. They replaced the coil with a new coil and it still misfired. They then replaced the new coil with the old coil and it was better. For a while. It was a completely intermittent problem initially, but now it drives terribly within the first 10 minutes of driving it.

Last week, I had the same problem. Took it to a different shop and they did the exact same thing - replaced cylinder 1 coil with a new one ... with same result: it immediately misfired and they put the old coil back and it seemed better. It's still at the shop. They first tried 2 Denso coil packs and today tried a Hitachi coil pack - with no success, still misfiring.

They are going to try an OEM coil pack directly from Honda tomorrow.

My question is: If the Honda coil pack doesn't solve the problem, then what can I try next? I was wondering if the connections/wires were faulty thus causing the problem. Is it possible the the coils tried so far were all faulty?

This is really frustrating and driving me CrAzy!

Thanks for any advice and insights.
did you clean and gap the plug as well? Often the plug and coil is a combination failure.
we generally replace plugs first then coil paks even when OBD TI says the problem is a coil pak.
Then have you run a bottle of injector cleaner once a month, especially one without alcohol. clogged injectors will spike power in a hurry and your problem sounds like its at leas artiaally clogged injector which gets involved when power requirement increases.
good luck.
PS wallyworld has a good non alcohol cleaner for about a buck a bottle.