2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to attach a rope to rear hatch???

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 01:30 AM
Question Where to attach a rope to rear hatch???

Okay guys. As most know i live day2day in a wheelchair. Im trying to figure out how I can attach something to the hatch so i can close it manually? My only way i can reach the hatch to close it is when i'm 4in higher on the sidewalk with the car backed in.

Thank You,

Old 01-10-2015, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
While it wouldn't look that great, you could through bolt a piece of strap material to the handle on the inside of the hatch where you grab to pull the hatch down. You could make it a loop to make it easier to grab and pull.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
Coat hanger type of hook attached to your wheel chair. When needed, it becomes your hand extension. Or just leave it on the floor of the rear hatch cargo area.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
Don't attach anything to the pull handle. That thing comes out of the trim panel if you look at it wrong.

A good pull hook, or even better a grabber (one of those trash picker-upper things) would work well here. Probably useful at other times in a wheelchair.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
You might try this, I have one on my hatch for when I am hauling something that sticks out of the back:
Kurgo Trunk Cleat - Cherrybrook

I goes on in place of whatever licence plate frame you may have.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:19 AM
5 Year Member
Wow cool idea!

Originally Posted by Codger01
You might try this, I have one on my hatch for when I am hauling something that sticks out of the back:
Kurgo Trunk Cleat - Cherrybrook

I goes on in place of whatever licence plate frame you may have.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:58 PM
Okay guys you arent following my question at ALL. So i'll break this down. How do you guys think a person thats paralyzed would get his chair into the trunk when he's transferred into the drivers seat already...lol? BTW, the whole chair fits in back but i break the chair down and it sits in front passenger seat. Again my issue is when the hatch is open, I'm out of reach to close it unless im backed in next to a raised sidewalk.

Thanks again,

Old 01-14-2015, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae
Okay guys. As most know i live day2day in a wheelchair. Im trying to figure out how I can attach something to the hatch so i can close it manually? My only way i can reach the hatch to close it is when i'm 4in higher on the sidewalk with the car backed in.

Thank You,
We had to transfer stuff that stuck out the back and wanted the door to close down firmly against it.
We used a tie-down with the cranking end, passing the strap from the bumper up the inside of the door over the top and down the outside,
In our case we either threaded the strap thru the door closure before over the top inside or under the bumper befoe threading the strap into the cranking strap end - sorry, can't think what else to call it - and use the crank to tighten the door down. in your case if you put a block between the door face and strap at the bottom you can possibly close and latch the door so you needn't worry about someone else opening the door without a key..

PS you will need to protect your paint in strategic places with duct tape, Just driving will 'file' the paint - or tape. Tape being filed is better.
good luck. cheers

Old 01-14-2015, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
Okay guys you arent following my question at ALL. So i'll break this down. How do you guys think a person thats paralyzed would get his chair into the trunk when he's transferred into the drivers seat already...lol? BTW, the whole chair fits in back but i break the chair down and it sits in front passenger seat. Again my issue is when the hatch is open, I'm out of reach to close it unless im backed in next to a raised sidewalk.

Thanks again,
Adding to my rec to use a cycle tiedown with the latching clasp you can raise the clasp to a height you easily reach on the outside. wish you werre a mite closer I'd be interested in working on that for you (assisting my former wife, a PT, is doing unusual stuff for her patients got to be a mission
In any case Harbor Freight has a wide selection of tiedowns in many lengths so I think you have good source in Wilmington. cheers
PS whose handicap system are you using to drive?

Old 01-14-2015, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
OP, would this help?

Originally Posted by FitStir

Found this last week from Honda Access

Possibly attaching a rope or something to it?

Old 01-14-2015, 11:46 PM
OP, would this help?

Possibly attaching a rope or something to it?
isnt that the title of my thread"? where could i attach a rope.

thank u FitStir... finally someone who understood the question.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
Adding to my rec to use a cycle tiedown with the latching clasp you can raise the clasp to a height you easily reach on the outside. wish you werre a mite closer I'd be interested in working on that for you (assisting my former wife, a PT, is doing unusual stuff for her patients got to be a mission
In any case Harbor Freight has a wide selection of tiedowns in many lengths so I think you have good source in Wilmington. cheers
I'll be video'g my transfer into and out of the car and how i manage my chair in the upcoming weeks

Old 01-15-2015, 12:08 PM

I think everyone has been suggesting the same thing. You could attach a rope to the pull handle dangly thing to make the dangly thing longer so that you can reach it without being on a sidewalk that is four inches higher than your car when backed in.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member

You're welcome, glad it's a possible solution for you.

I'm sure you figured it out by now, that part is a JDM only part (atleast at the time I found it, and bought one,.. it might be available in the states now?).

Here's the part #, and where you can order...
You might be able to get japanparts.com add it to their web site (if it's not already on there); where most people find it easier to order from, but rakuten isn't that hard to figure out. Check ryu's thread for directions/tips.

Originally Posted by DWils
I think everyone has been suggesting the same thing. You could attach a rope to the pull handle dangly thing to make the dangly thing longer so that you can reach it without being on a sidewalk that is four inches higher than your car when backed in.
Afaik, no GD's, GE8's, or GK's come with this stock.. it's a ~$10 JDM accessory, not including shipping.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
one of my cohorts reminded me that we used the rear tow loop, not the bumper, to pass the strap thru and because its under the car we got good closing pressure on the door.
hey, I'm old and allowed to forget something.
and yes, FitStir has the simple solution to just pulling the hatch down. we thought you needed to close the hatch from outside with no access inside. good stuff.

Last edited by mahout; 01-15-2015 at 02:08 PM.