2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to buy a fit. What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
About to buy a fit. What to look for?

Hello, brand new here. I keep coming across this forum when searching for fit info, so I thought I should register.

I am about to buy a 2009 fit sport with 142,000 miles from a family member at a great price. I know the car has been well taken care of, so I'm mostly curious about any common issues with this model year at this mileage.

I have read a little about AC problems, but I'm not overly concerned with that. What else might I be looking for? Timing belt / chain? Cv boots? Suspension?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-25-2015, 01:27 PM
2010 Fit owner 50K mileage.

It has a timing chain, one less thing to worry about. They are a rough riding car, the second generation. I've had rodent problems. I can't park it outside garage at night. None of my other cars have been affected but, the mice like the wiring on this one. They at through the transmission wires, which cost me $500 by they time they fixed it at the dealer. You may be able to block them from coming into car by closing the RECIRCULATION air door. If not they will build nest on top of cabin air filter. From there they can craw into glovebox and rest of car. It is like no engineering was done to keep out pests. So I'd by it only if you can park in in a garage. My MPG runs about 32 to 34. Not very good. I have Civic that can get 36 to 38. The 3rd generation supposedly gets better mpg. I like driving the car, the engine seems week above 50 miles per hour. It downshifts on every hill, annoying to say the lease. Also I've had A/C problems every year. The dealer has put in the dye and cannot find the leak. Figuring on recharging it every year.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the info. Interesting about the rodent problem. Definitely not something I expected!

Good to know it's a timing chain.

I have actually taken the fit on a few long family trips and found it to be at least manageable in the comfort department. According to the display we got 38 mpg, but I've read that the display may not be accurate.

Well, thanks again. Good luck with your pest problem.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:58 PM
The MPG dash meter is quite optimistic. Check it by hand average over 5 tanks. Because if you think about it, if you fill up an a different station the pump cut off probably is different than your original fill pump. So if it cuts off early you get less gallons into the MPG formula making you think got a great MPG on that tank. The best thing to do is us the same pump at the same station for 5 tanks in a row, then you will have your real mileage. A lot of people don't even think about the proper way to check MPG. I had a rental FIT once when they were working on mine and its MPG dash meter was saying I was getting 40. Also there has been a recall on the Fits of these years something about replacing the exhaust springs in the engine or something like that. If you purchase make sure that that has been done.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:30 PM
Paint touch-up

Originally Posted by Maw230
Hello, brand new here. I keep coming across this forum when searching for fit info, so I thought I should register.

I am about to buy a 2009 fit sport with 142,000 miles from a family member at a great price. I know the car has been well taken care of, so I'm mostly curious about any common issues with this model year at this mileage.

I have read a little about AC problems, but I'm not overly concerned with that. What else might I be looking for? Timing belt / chain? Cv boots? Suspension?

Thanks in advance!
Hello. Hope I'm doing this correctly, lol.
If the Sports models paint jobs are the same as the base models, invest in a bottle of touch-up paint for the vehicle. It helps somewhat, but it's a little tricky to use...you can see where you've done touch-ups. At least, I can on my '09 Fit (base model). There aren't any really clear instructions for making seamless application of the paint. I know this seems minor, but I haven't really had too many other issues with the car. Overall, it's been a great little car.

Last edited by validivee; 02-25-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks again guys. I will be looking into the recall. Hopefully I can give Honda the VIN and they can verify if it has been done.

Put the VIN in the Honda website and it says there are no recalls, so that's nice.

Last edited by Maw230; 02-25-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:46 PM
Administrator
142k on this chassis is really nothing, they are very reliable little cars

You might have to address some issues like worn rotors or shocks given that the car is six years old but you should just take it to a mechanic to inspect

Old 02-26-2015, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
Good deal. All needed and scheduled maintenance has been done. I'm just going to drive it on ramps and have a look underneath.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Maw230

Thanks in advance!
Only 52000 miles on our 2009, so can't comment on higher-mileage issues.

Someone else mentioned the Lost-Motion Spring recall; do make sure that's been done. Also, the 2009s are known to have an optimistic MPG readout; there's an engine ECU reflash your dealer can perform that will drop it down to a more realistic number. Our particular car also has at least one TPMS sensor in the wheels that have gone bad, but we haven't yet bothered to replace it - maybe next time we throw on a set of tires...

Other than that, it's been a very reliable car! It just goes in for its oil change when called for and that's about it in terms of service items.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
That's exactly what I'm looking for!

Old 02-27-2015, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
Just like any used car with that kind of mileage, a lot of things need to be checked. The car itself is not known for any major problems or issues. There are isolated incidents of lose spark plugs and failing ignition coils here and there.

At 142 K, you might need new shocks and struts, belts, thermostat, all fluids replaced (e.g. brake, coolant, transmission). Check cabin filter, air filter. Definitely spark plugs had to be changed around 100K. Obviously look at brakes as needed.

If the car has been driven hard in the city, and neglected, it could be half way in the grave at that mileage.
If it was well maintained and mostly driven on the highway - it's at 45% of its useful life.

Newer models have added vehicle stability assist, which is a huge safety feature. I would actually look for 2011+ because of that. Otherwise, awesome car.

I get 42+ mpg on my manual (80% hwy commuting).
Good luck. Welcome to the forum if you decide to buy.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by john21031
Just like any used car with that kind of mileage, a lot of things need to be checked. The car itself is not known for any major problems or issues. There are isolated incidents of lose spark plugs and failing ignition coils here and there.

At 142 K, you might need new shocks and struts, belts, thermostat, all fluids replaced (e.g. brake, coolant, transmission). Check cabin filter, air filter. Definitely spark plugs had to be changed around 100K. Obviously look at brakes as needed.

If the car has been driven hard in the city, and neglected, it could be half way in the grave at that mileage.
If it was well maintained and mostly driven on the highway - it's at 45% of its useful life.

Newer models have added vehicle stability assist, which is a huge safety feature. I would actually look for 2011+ because of that. Otherwise, awesome car.

I get 42+ mpg on my manual (80% hwy commuting).
Good luck. Welcome to the forum if you decide to buy.
Awesome advice. Thanks!

Old 02-28-2015, 01:56 PM
superb reliability

I have a 2009 fit sport MT
Bought it at 60k miles 2 years ago, now it has 114k. I have followed the maintenance schedule and that has been it. Nothing out of the ordinary.
All you do is change the oil and go.
At 142k miles, check to make sure all the fluids have been changed and the spark plugs have been change.
With all those miles, you might find a lot of squeaks and rattles around the cabin. nothing A 10 inch subwoofer in the back can't solve.

If you choose to buy, enjoy the reliability, it's a Honda.