2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Where Is Clutch Master Cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
Where Is Clutch Master Cylinder?

Where is the clutch master cylinder? I cannot see much of the rear of the engine bay. I gather a lot of things have to come off before I can get close to the clutch master cylinder.

Thanks.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
You have to remove the airbox. It's below the brake booster. Is there an issue?

Old 05-05-2015, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
Below the brake booster on the firewall? Got it.

No issue (yet). I'm just trying to think through why my clutch engagement and shifts are so sloppy. It's probably pilot error. But, even so, I wanted to have a look at the clutch reservoir and master cylinder.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
Not likely driver error. Knowing the clutch is sloppy means you know what a normal clutch pedal should feel like. I was on the track with my Fit and I thought the same.

The clutch master on the GE8 Fit has a "Delay Valve" built onto the clutch master. You can replace it with a clutch master for a 2004 Civic EX 1.7L ($36 at Napa). It's a direct bolt on.

NAPA Part number 72410

Turns out; that was all it was. Check out my page for pics:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ml#post1244618

Last edited by De36; 05-05-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks, De36. I forgot about the clutch delay valve. It seems quite a bit worse than on my 08' Fit and my '07 s2k.

Just so that I have this straight: The battery and the air box have to come out. Then, the rest is just swapping out the OEM CMC for the '04 Civic CMC (not just any '04 Civic, bit the 2004 Civic EX 1.7L???). Is that about it?

Old 05-07-2015, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
Check with the GD guys I believe the GD FIT has one too. The S2K may or may not have one, that's out of my spec of knowledge.

Use that NAPA number and buy DOT 3 and that's it. Simple. Direct bolt on. I have a CAI; so my install is different. Use a mirror to get a visual, you will work blind.

Last edited by De36; 05-07-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by De36
Check with the GD guys I believe the GD FIT has one too. The S2K may or may not have one, that's out of my spec of knowledge.

Use that NAPA number and buy DOT 3 and that's it. Simple. Direct bolt on. I have a CAI; so my install is different. Use a mirror to get a visual, you will work blind.
The s2k has the delay valve. Trust me.

Are you saying that you buy the NAPA equivalent of the 2004 Civic EX 1.7L clutch master cylinder rather than the 2004 Civic EX 1.7L Honda OEM part? I've got no problem buying the Honda part. This isn't something that I need to save money on.

Thanks.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member
You could buy either NAPA or Honda, it's the same thing. I bet the OEM price will shock you.

I am not sure what the Honda part number is, that's all.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
The delay valve in this car is terrible, half of the time it makes me want to rage and tear the shifter out of the floor since it is so dang inconsistent but I won't replace it until my warranty expires next year.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by sultanofslide
The delay valve in this car is terrible, half of the time it makes me want to rage and tear the shifter out of the floor since it is so dang inconsistent but I won't replace it until my warranty expires next year.
Mine just expired

I've been dealing with the CDV okay but it could be better. I shouldn't be happy but I kind of am.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:40 PM
I have a very early (October 2007) JDM GE8, and I can categorically say there is no CDV in mine. Whether or not it's the origin, or the age of the car, or it's been changed out at some point before I owned it, I don't know. But I have to be much more careful when I downchange at high speed or on inclines than in other, more powerful, cars without CDVs. I'm absolutely having to do the slipping myself.

Light flywheel, light car, small engine, possibly even crappy engine mounts can make for a rough ride if you're not really careful on the clutch when you want to slam it. Maybe it's just mine. Maybe everything's broken.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by c3kay
I have a very early (October 2007) JDM GE8, and I can categorically say there is no CDV in mine.... I'm absolutely having to do the slipping myself.

Light flywheel, light car, small engine, possibly even crappy engine mounts ... Maybe it's just mine. Maybe everything's broken.
It's possible that the previous owner was fed up and swapped it out.

Haha. Yeah you shouldn't have to slip the clutch, it sounds like you have another issue.

here is a pic with the delay clutch valve (the "triangle" valve):

Old 05-09-2015, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sultanofslide

I may wait until my warranty expires, too. This car has not inspired a lot of confidence, which is disappointing in a Honda. I hope they get rid of the current CEO and go back to making cars the way they used to.

@De36: The CDV on the s2k was not a triangle shape. As I recall, it was an oblong, cigar shape affixed to the transmission case, and it had a bleeder valve. But thanks for making this clear.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
@De36: The CDV on the s2k was not a triangle shape. As I recall, it was an oblong, cigar shape affixed to the transmission case, and it had a bleeder valve. But thanks for making this clear.
Just remembered: The CDV on the s2k was part of the clutch slave cylinder, which is located on the transmission underneath the car. That is my recollection.

Okay. Back to Fits.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by De36
It's possible that the previous owner was fed up and swapped it out.

Haha. Yeah you shouldn't have to slip the clutch, it sounds like you have another issue.
I don't think it came with it. The car was completely stock when I bought it, so I can't imagine that the only thing they did was swap out the master cylinder.

Slipping the clutch is part of good clutch control. If you drop the clutch every time then you're going to destroy your clutch and your mounts. The CDV slips the clutch for you when it delays the plates coming together. That longer period of slight contact it causes reduces drivetrain shock by slipping the plates together.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by c3kay
I don't think it came with it. The car was completely stock when I bought it, so I can't imagine that the only thing they did was swap out the master cylinder.

Slipping the clutch is part of good clutch control. If you drop the clutch every time then you're going to destroy your clutch and your mounts. The CDV slips the clutch for you when it delays the plates coming together. That longer period of slight contact it causes reduces drivetrain shock by slipping the plates together.

"That longer period of slight contact" — That's the problem, isn't it? Clutch plate wear. Not to mention poor response due to the slipping. The CDV was never meant as an improvement to anything. I believe it was designed to deal with idiots who dump the clutch because they think it's "cool," then go crying to Honda to cover a new clutch under warranty.