2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Key with clicker, etc

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 09:32 AM
5 Year Member
Key with clicker, etc

I have a 2013 Sport Fit. The keys that I were given were (2) keys with clickers built in. Also what I assume is a valet key (no clicker built in). I have a decently populated key ring, and the geenormous key with the clicker built in is too much. Plus, my own thinking is I like the items separate.
I called the dealer to see if I could get a clicker separate and was told no. Any ideas how I can get a separate clicker and a key..?

Thanks.
Perry

Old 07-23-2015, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cajunpedaler
I have a 2013 Sport Fit. The keys that I were given were (2) keys with clickers built in. Also what I assume is a valet key (no clicker built in). I have a decently populated key ring, and the geenormous key with the clicker built in is too much. Plus, my own thinking is I like the items separate.
I called the dealer to see if I could get a clicker separate and was told no. Any ideas how I can get a separate clicker and a key..?

Thanks.
Perry
What I'm about to discuss is how things are with 2009 Fits, but you should be able to do the same for the 2013.

2009 Base models were sold with no-remote keys. Only the Sport models got the keys with the built-in remote (like the two keys you have, presumably your "valet" key is equivalent to what came with the 2009 Base models). However, ALL 2009 models have the keyless-remote circuitry built into the car.

If you wanted keyless remote entry on a Base 2009 Fit, you had to buy an accessory remote transmitter (clicker) and program it to work with your car. There were two choices available to me when I went to the Dealer parts department and asked: 1) a separate dedicated remote transmitter, or 2) a blank key for the Fit Sport. The Sport key was cheaper (and smaller), so I bought it, cut off the key blade, and programmed it myself using instructions found here on FitFreak. I keep the transmitter and one car key on a separate key ring from all my other keys, so it's easy to find in my pockets and doesn't bang around when the car is moving.

So if you want a separate transmitter, go ask the dealer for one that works with a 2009 Base Fit, and do the programming yourself. Or, sacrifice one of the transmitter keys and cut off its blade.

If you want additional "valet" keys, ask for a 2009 Base Fit key, and have the dealer cut the key to work on your car and program the immobilizer chip inside it.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:34 AM
Funny how different we all are. I like to keep it minimal/simple. I hated the separate keyless entry fob and key on my Corolla and envied my wife's single key for her CRV. I was beyond excited when my Fit allowed me to ditch two items from my key ring, and with push button start, the key is even smaller!
My keyring is pretty bare though (car, house, work fob, p38, hook for beltloop).