2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about windshield wipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
If you use Rainex don't let the blades touch the windshield for a while after application the rain ex itself eats up the wiper blades.. (At least I've noticed it ruining new blades a couple times. )

Old 02-29-2016, 03:02 AM
5 Year Member
Anyone know the cheapest place to get the refills online?

Old 02-29-2016, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jy1129
Anyone know the cheapest place to get the refills online?
Majestic is in Rhode Island, seems somewhat close to DC (IDK of any closer online dealer but feel free to check).
Majestic Honda - The Internet's #1 Honda Automotive Parts Store

Shipping fees from an online dealer might make this 'not so cost effective' so check that out first.

A pair of rubber inserts might only be like 13 dollars from a decent Honda dealer who doesn't mark up their prices sky high above MSRP.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:39 PM
Mine is a 2012 now with 45K. Still using the original wiper blades. No streaking, no noise. Here's how - the very first thing I did to the car was apply 303 Aerospace Protectant to all rubber and plastic surfaces, especially the wiper blades. It simply wipes on and dries preventing UV degradation. Next thing I did was to apply Aquapel to all the glass. A bit more pricey than Rain-X which I had used but much more effective and longer lasting. It is the same stuff the airlines use to spray on exterior cockpit glass. Rain simply rolls off and at any speed above 40mph or so I don't need wipers. I, unfortunately, have no financial interest in either product. Wish I did.

Will

Old 03-07-2016, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by EQB356
Mine is a 2012 now with 45K. Still using the original wiper blades. No streaking, no noise. Here's how - the very first thing I did to the car was apply 303 Aerospace Protectant to all rubber and plastic surfaces, especially the wiper blades. It simply wipes on and dries preventing UV degradation. Next thing I did was to apply Aquapel to all the glass. A bit more pricey than Rain-X which I had used but much more effective and longer lasting. It is the same stuff the airlines use to spray on exterior cockpit glass. Rain simply rolls off and at any speed above 40mph or so I don't need wipers. I, unfortunately, have no financial interest in either product. Wish I did.

Will
Thanks for the info!

Old 03-09-2016, 07:45 PM
Just want to add in that the OEM refills are the only way to go. I got the goodyear blade style wipers at Costco and although they work great on other cars, something about the Fit makes them suck.

Agree with the post above to use 303 or whatever protectant you use on the wipers frequently.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:56 PM
I've had good luck with ones from RockAuto. Not sure what brand they were, but I've purchased winter wipers and regular, and they've all been great!

Old 04-17-2016, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
Silicone wiper blades

Anyone tried the PIAA Aero Vogue silicone wiper blades? Giant 28" driver side and 14" dinky one for the pass. and rear blades. How are they against the OEM ones?

Old 04-18-2016, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gkitf16
Anyone tried the PIAA Aero Vogue silicone wiper blades? Giant 28" driver side and 14" dinky one for the pass. and rear blades. How are they against the OEM ones?
Yes,

I just bought the PIAA Aero Voque Silicone 14" one for the passenger side,

but I use Michelin 8528 Stealth Ultra Windshield Wiper Blade with Smart Technology, 28" for the driver side.

They are both very good !
Although the Michelin have 4 hinges so I think it is able to follow the curvature of the windshield better than the PIAA which only have 2 hinges like the OEM Honda one...

At first I want to buy Michelin 14" but Michelin Stealth Ultra do not come in 14" so I buy PIAA...

Old 04-18-2016, 05:31 PM
If the original blades are gone, what might be the best replacements?

Old 04-19-2016, 07:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
If the original blades are gone, what might be the best replacements?
you referring to Worn down so they don't work? or you don't have the original wiper assembly that holds the original blade refill?

If it's still the OEM blade but the insert is shot, I'd just get a refill from the dealer.

If you need to replace the entire wiper assembly, I've been happy with Rain-X or Bosch and I prefer the single piece. not the ones that get jammed up with snow in the "mechanicals" of the blade.

~SB

Old 04-19-2016, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by specboy
you referring to Worn down so they don't work? or you don't have the original wiper assembly that holds the original blade refill?

If it's still the OEM blade but the insert is shot, I'd just get a refill from the dealer.

If you need to replace the entire wiper assembly, I've been happy with Rain-X or Bosch and I prefer the single piece. not the ones that get jammed up with snow in the "mechanicals" of the blade.

~SB
Thanks! I'll try Rain-X or Bosch.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
OEM blade cleaning

I cleaned my OEM wiper inserts with alcohol today, they left an awful lot of oxidized black rubber on the paper towel. They're about 2 yrs old, still wiping OK, but not always streak-free. I Rain-X the windshield and add Rain-X washer fluid to the tank. This makes a foggy-looking mess until it it evaporates after a moment, which I don't care for. Heard good things about silicone blades esp the PIAA's. Should be more resistant to UV oxidation than the black rubber OEM's hopefully.
Also sprayed silicone in the window vertical channels, makes them glide smooth and easier on the motors

Old 04-26-2016, 07:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gkitf16
I cleaned my OEM wiper inserts with alcohol today, they left an awful lot of oxidized black rubber on the paper towel. They're about 2 yrs old, still wiping OK, but not always streak-free. I Rain-X the windshield and add Rain-X washer fluid to the tank. This makes a foggy-looking mess until it it evaporates after a moment, which I don't care for. Heard good things about silicone blades esp the PIAA's. Should be more resistant to UV oxidation than the black rubber OEM's hopefully.
Also sprayed silicone in the window vertical channels, makes them glide smooth and easier on the motors
I do a similar thing but use Rain-X wiper fluid instead of adding rainx to the current fluid. As for the cloudiness, that's due to the need for rainx to be buffed out upon application. Rain-X is supposed to be applied to the windshield until it gets cloudy, then buffed with a clean towel until the cloudiness/streaks go away. By adding rain-x to the fluid, I'm thinking that this last step is being missed as it is only being applied upon spray and never seeing the buffing stage. I only have to do a single Rain-x application about every 9 months this way. I've had the same little bottle of Rain-X for about 10 years.

~SB

Old 04-27-2016, 02:06 AM
5 Year Member
Better price on OEM inserts (and everything else)

I have been getting all my OEM dealer parts from Bill Kay Honda Genuine OEM Honda Parts Dealer USA- BK Honda Parts. Nobody anywhere else will beat their prices on Honda parts . Always has stock on common items, very low shipping, usually get an order to Florida in 2 days standard shipping. Give them a try. Driver side 700mm wiper refill was $4.67.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:14 AM
5 Year Member
Put on a pair of Bosch Icon blades today. Super smooth/clean wipe with my Rain-X'd glass + washer fluid additive. Very good tension arc design, better than OEM's. The OEM rubbers just don't hold up as well. Awful lot of black came off when trying to de-oxidize them the other day w/alcohol. 2 yrs old they were OK but not great anymore. Time to upgrade.

Last edited by gkitf16; 04-27-2016 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Add info, spelling