2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Questions about windshield wipers

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
Questions about windshield wipers

Hi. I installed new windshield wipers on my 2010 Honda Fit Sport (I bought the Fit used about 1 1/2 years ago) and they squeak as they go across the windshield. The noise is driving me crazy - I live in Portland and the rain has started big time so I gotta do something about this! I'd appreciate advise on the following:

1. Is this problem likely caused by just having picked a crappy blade? Or could it be something else? (The replacement wipers were actually supposed to be good - Valvoline Gold Series, but they were on super marked-down price, so maybe that's why the price was so low?).

2. It seems really hard to find just a replacement blade, so I replaced the whole wiper. I still have the original arm. Should I get just replacement blades? Any ideas of good place I can get them?

3. Any recommendations on brands of either blade or whole wiper unit that have worked well for you?

Thanks so much for any assistance with this! I think we're due for a long rainy season here in Portland!

Old 12-04-2015, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
Go to your local Honda dealer and purchase the wiper refills. I find them to be better quality than aftermarket ones.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
I still have the original arm. Should I get just replacement blades? Any ideas of good place I can get them?
Any Honda dealer can sell you the correct rubber inserts for the original wiper blades, that's usually the best way to go.

Old 12-05-2015, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
I do not buy much from the Honda stealerships. Replacement wiper refills are the exception to that. Go to Honda and get their refills.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
I have tried aftermarket wipers from time to time, and so far have always gone back to the OEM wipers and refills. Cheaper to.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the input. I'll buy inserts at a Honda dealer!

Old 12-05-2015, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
One more question: Are the wiper refills for the original wiper blades fairly easy to install?

Old 12-05-2015, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitbuddha
One more question: Are the wiper refills for the original wiper blades fairly easy to install?
Yes. You still have complete original blades? Take them in with you, maybe the personnel will change the inserts for you.

Or pull on the end of an insert and it should come out. If it doesn't come out easily, try the other end.

Do not lose the 2 metal wires that support each rubber insert.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks ezone. Yes, I still have the complete original blades. I'll take them with me to the dealer.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
The refills are,very easy to replace. It takes a bit of a tug on one end to pull out the old one, fit the steel inserts into the refills, and slide into place.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:11 AM
I had this issue too when I replaced the entire wiper thinking it was easier and ended up with skipping, squeaking wipers. I ended up swapping the rubbers from the new arm to the OEM and now it doesn't skip or squeak. I hope you resolved your issue, OP!

Old 12-07-2015, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks Isaac513. That's a good idea; I'll try to swap out the rubber blades to my OEM arm. Might as well try and not waste the whole thing. If that doesn't work, I'm going to the dealer and get new inserts. Thanks again for all the replies. This is a great forum!

Old 12-07-2015, 02:18 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
apply rain-x to the glass when you get the streaking noise.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:16 AM
I had a double application of rain-x on mine and they still skipped and squeaked. It could have just been the crappy replacement wipers I bought too though before switching back to OEM refills.

Also, thanks for your DIY vids, kenchan. It helped greatly in installing my LED side mirror blinkers!

Originally Posted by kenchan
apply rain-x to the glass when you get the streaking noise.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:49 AM
5 Year Member
I've had bosch icon blades for about 6mo or so. Super happy with them, no skipping or squeaking. I park next to a construction site and regularly get concrete dust on the windshield but the blades still clear the windshield. I also use the rainx washer fluid, not sure how that factors in. I dont remember the price but i do remember they weren't the most expensive. I wanted the rain-x blades but they didn't come in fit size. The reason i got the bosch was the shape of them doesn't seem to get caught by the wind at highway speeds.
I do get horrible squeaking with the cheap pos rear blade I bought.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
Just wanted to give an update. I decided to just go to the local Honda dealer and get new inserts to install in my original wiper arms. Wow, I seriously feel like I just got a new car after listening to the squeaking of the non-OEM wipers for a month. Very grateful! Thanks for all the replies and different alternative suggestions. Happy New Year to everyone!

Old 01-04-2016, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitbuddha
Just wanted to give an update. I decided to just go to the local Honda dealer and get new inserts to install in my original wiper arms. Wow, I seriously feel like I just got a new car after listening to the squeaking of the non-OEM wipers for a month. Very grateful! Thanks for all the replies and different alternative suggestions. Happy New Year to everyone!
Great to hear. They are so much better than the aftermarket blades for less money. I replaced my first set of inserts I think in 2014 on my '09 fit. I've not had any aftermarket blade (including Rain-X, Bosch, etc...) last that long. The 2nd set that I'm on should be good for another 2+ years and for the money you can't beat it. I use Rain-X in Conjunction with the OE blades and they handle anything including Vermont Winters with no issues.

~SB

Old 01-04-2016, 05:16 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
try some rain-x on the glass.

i only use factory refills on my cars.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by wzlfit
I've had bosch icon blades for about 6mo or so. Super happy with them, no skipping or squeaking. I park next to a construction site and regularly get concrete dust on the windshield but the blades still clear the windshield. I also use the rainx washer fluid, not sure how that factors in. I dont remember the price but i do remember they weren't the most expensive. I wanted the rain-x blades but they didn't come in fit size. The reason i got the bosch was the shape of them doesn't seem to get caught by the wind at highway speeds.
I do get horrible squeaking with the cheap pos rear blade I bought.I
I have used Bosch icon blades on my civic. I just bought a 09 fit and plan to upgrade to a pair of bosches when my oem blades don't work as well

Old 02-02-2016, 01:09 AM
5 Year Member
Replacing the blades with new inserts is so easy I did it while sitting in the carpool line (I'm a nanny)
Found the cheapest place for me to get them is at collegehillshonda.com, about half the price of what the dealers around me charge.

Quick Reply: Questions about windshield wipers