2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Stuck in Park Underhood fuse box corrosion failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
Unhappy Stuck in Park Underhood fuse box corrosion failure

Got in my 10K (yup, Granny's car) 2009 Base AT today and it wouldn't shift out of park.
Started and ran well, after I put something in the slot to release the shifter.
ran the drill, noted Horn, which had been fine was out, as were Turn Signals, and WARNING LIGHTS.
Fuse #24 10A fine, brake switch ok (didn't put power thru it to test solenoid)
went to the Glove box book and saw the reference to the fuses on the battery terminal.
Can't find anything online or on the board about the corroded fuses #3>>other 2, under the clear plastic windows.
Humbled I took it to the nearby guru/Master at Hondew Shop ( a prince of a fellow, my great saver for when I am in too deep) apparently the fuses are not replaceable, whole terminal has to get replaced. Neither he or I could figure how to get the fuses out. They are not in stock in Dallas, nor the terminal.
There was concern that pulling the terminal would reset all the cars EFM codes , which would make inspection problematic, when the OBDII was queried. Radio codes, I have, but would also need to get reset.

I couldn't find anything on the board searching underhood fuses corrosion or re the periodic "Won't Shift From Park" threads.
Looks like corrosion from battery gas ate through the fuse.
Gee I love this little puppy, but when they pull one of the many stunts that cheap out on it , they sure pull doosies.
Adding : Multiple, weirdly placed, hard to reach fuse boxes and dysfunctional interlocks to the list of things that dismay me.

Any tips or resources on this part of the electrical system?
My plan is to replace the whole terminal at this point, since I can't get the fuses out.

Last edited by Rfitfit; 12-08-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
Required replacement of Pos terminal fuse block

Required replacement of Pos terminal fuse block
Fuses corroded by battery fumes
Smart move Honda

All went back to normal, such as it is.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator
Don't see why this is Honda's fault. Your grandma barely drove the car. The battery lay there stagnant and went bad. Granted it's probably 5 years old too. Not blaming your grandma either. blame the battery.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
gran cared for it well, just didn't drive it much.
HONDA put corodeable fuses on top of a battery terminal, that when exposed to battery gas did what terminals do and unlike terminals you can clean, took out the trans lock, the tail lights horn and warning flashers
and was within a hair of bricking the ECM. Shouldn't fuses be replaceble or at least stocked?

DUMB Design.
Some of this car is brilliant urban micro car
Some is annoyingly dumb / cheap stuff I haven't seen Honda pull in 30 yrs of driving them ( under sized battery in welded in micro cradle, no intermittent wipers, doors so thin they get dings if you stare hard at them, no reasonable arm rest/console, barely accessible fuses, weird lock programming,cheesy interior finish) stuff my 90's Hondas got right. Things that leave me to be very suspicious of a brand I trusted to do things in a thoughtful way
Cheaping out makes me suspicious of things I can't see/ access.
We have been getting 15 yrs/200k out of them. This one feels disposable, and it shouldn't. I get a feeling of bad engineering compromises for economy and weight from this and my '12 civic

just sayin'

Scan guage has been my best eco mod. should be stock on everything

Last edited by Rfitfit; 12-14-2015 at 10:23 PM.