2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Cruatchi
Try calling your local Honda dealership(s). They might have a cover in stock that they're willing to sell at a discounted rate. My local dealerships will clear out any old accessories lying around at a discounted rate once the new generation is out. Wouldn't hurt to try your local dealerships.

oh and when you say that you topped off the tires....what PSI did you put it to? the number on the door jamb? or the number on the sidewall of the tire?
I didn't inflate to the sidewall pressure, but almost.
I'm more worried now about the fact that my insurance company won't cover consecutive rentals, so in 21 days, I mght be back in the deathmobile

Old 03-08-2016, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
I've talked to them extensively, and it won't cover consecutive rentals. But how would they even know?
State Farm, or an independent insurance broker? Call an independent broker.. Most brokers (in YOUR STATE) know more than the office assistant...er customer service rep at the HQ State Farm office you called.

Don't just take one answer and call it a day. Think about it, millions of people travel and have to rent cars every day... Vacations, business travel, etc...
I usually travel for work 14-16 weeks out of the year, and am always renting cars, to include Canada. I'm covered by my personal insurance contract.

I just searched the State Farm site and yes, some of their policies state they don't cover rentals... It depends on your coverage.
If you went to State Farm direct, you probably got a crappy policy, and they're probably charging you too much for it.

I would suggest calling an independent broker and let them get you into the coverage you require, and they'll probably save you money because they can place with hundreds of companies.

i.e. I just pinged my broker and this is what he forwarded:
Every auto insurance policy from The Hartford includes: Coverage for damage to a rental vehicle is provided while in the U.S., its territories and Canada

Last edited by paul_g; 03-08-2016 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah my AAA agent pointed out to me that there is no rental duration. My policy carries over as if I am driving my Fit. No duration limitations. Seems shady/lame that your insurance only covers for so many days. So like Paul_g stated....what if you were on a 6-week vacation in the US? You don't get insurance for the 6-week rental?

Old 03-08-2016, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
Dropped off my 2012 Fit yesterday morning. They shuttled me to Enterprise for a 2015 Hyundai Elantra sedan. Bleah. Covered 100% by my insurance (Pemco) as if it is my Fit. I'll talk to Enterprise soon to see if I can get into an Elantra GT or Focus or Fiesta 5-door--don't like having a trunk, especially with no backup camera.

Started a twitter account: @hondaairbag and blog to chronicle the process and poke some fun at Honda--maybe light a little fire under them to speed it up some :-)

Old 03-08-2016, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by paul_g
State Farm, or an independent insurance broker? Call an independent broker.. Most brokers (in YOUR STATE) know more than the office assistant...er customer service rep at the HQ State Farm office you called.

Don't just take one answer and call it a day. Think about it, millions of people travel and have to rent cars every day... Vacations, business travel, etc...
I usually travel for work 14-16 weeks out of the year, and am always renting cars, to include Canada. I'm covered by my personal insurance contract.

I just searched the State Farm site and yes, some of their policies state they don't cover rentals... It depends on your coverage.
If you went to State Farm direct, you probably got a crappy policy, and they're probably charging you too much for it.

I would suggest calling an independent broker and let them get you into the coverage you require, and they'll probably save you money because they can place with hundreds of companies.

i.e. I just pinged my broker and this is what he forwarded:
Every auto insurance policy from The Hartford includes: Coverage for damage to a rental vehicle is provided while in the U.S., its territories and Canada
I might sound stupid, but what is an independent broker? I've had State Farm forever, so I don't know about options. Are you saying I need to switch my entire policy/coverage away from State Farm? I have a local office here that I deal with.....

Old 03-08-2016, 03:03 PM
Is anybody on this forum insured in North Carolina? If so, who is your insurance company? My understanding is that this is an NC statute, but SURELY there are people in NC having to go through this rental hell!

Last edited by littleblackcar; 03-08-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
i might leave the car in the dealership. Anybody doing this too
i dont have anyone to drive the car back to the house.

concerned leaving it at the dealership...

any suggestion welcome

thanks

Old 03-08-2016, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by phenoyz

any suggestion welcome

thanks
I wouldn't count on the dealership doing things like charging the battery and making sure you don't get flat spots. Some dealers are apparently towing the vehicle back to the house or dealership.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member

any suggestion welcome

thanks
Can always have someone just drop you off at the dealership...that's what I did.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari
Can always have someone just drop you off at the dealership...that's what I did.
thats my problem NO ONE is available?

Old 03-08-2016, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
thats my problem NO ONE is available?
There is always Uber

Old 03-09-2016, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
I didn't inflate to the sidewall pressure, but almost.
I'm more worried now about the fact that my insurance company won't cover consecutive rentals, so in 21 days, I mght be back in the deathmobile
I'm with State Farm and my policy covers consecutive rentals as long as each is less than 21 days. I'm taking the loaner back to the dealer every 20 days and getting a new contract. Not in NC here.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:03 AM
5 Year Member
A girl from my dealership called me today. She was trying to sell me an oil change. When I asked her about the recall, she said that my car was, indeed, on the recall list and that I could bring it in on Monday if that was convenient. Then, I asked her if the parts were in. She went and checked, then came back with some baloney along the lines of "You can't bring it in until you get the letter in the mail."

See what I mean? Dealers in SoCal are joke. I keep scanning this thread for a California poster, but all these my-dealership-was-great stories are coming from outside California.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:55 AM
5 Year Member
I received a white 2015 Honda civic practically brand new 10miles only. Navi Bluetooth cameras everything.
I'm just afraid of getting any scratches on it.

The lady said I can replace it with the new fit and she will call me when it comes back to the lot.

My sister called for her pilot same place and they told her they can fix it Thursday and that the part is in Stock.
Is that strange she has a 08 pilot and I have a 10 fit same dealer

Old 03-09-2016, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
A girl from my dealership called me today. She was trying to sell me an oil change. When I asked her about the recall, she said that my car was, indeed, on the recall list and that I could bring it in on Monday if that was convenient. Then, I asked her if the parts were in. She went and checked, then came back with some baloney along the lines of "You can't bring it in until you get the letter in the mail."

See what I mean? Dealers in SoCal are joke. I keep scanning this thread for a California poster, but all these my-dealership-was-great stories are coming from outside California.
Must be ignoring my posts...I'm in San Diego...California...

No issues for me. I got dropped off by a coworker since I was keeping my car at home, gave the service adviser my case number, showed my proof I was the owner of the vehicle (registration/insurance card w/ VIN) and they put me in the system and set me up with a loaner. Took 30 minutes tops before I was back on the road.

Originally Posted by cfran55
I received a white 2015 Honda civic practically brand new 10miles only. Navi Bluetooth cameras everything.
I'm just afraid of getting any scratches on it.

The lady said I can replace it with the new fit and she will call me when it comes back to the lot.

My sister called for her pilot same place and they told her they can fix it Thursday and that the part is in Stock.
Is that strange she has a 08 pilot and I have a 10 fit same dealer
Not strange. Several friends/family/coworkers with non-Fit Hondas (2 Pilots, 1 Element, 3 accords and 1 civic) have had their airbags replaced already or parts in stock.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari
Not strange. Several friends/family/coworkers with non-Fit Hondas (2 Pilots, 1 Element, 3 accords and 1 civic) have had their airbags replaced already or parts in stock.
SO it means "parts are already available" ?

Old 03-09-2016, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
SO it means "parts are already available" ?
For older model Hondas and non-Fit Hondas, parts are available. The parts are not the same for every car...so the correct part for the Fit is NOT yet available.

I mentioned that people I know with Accords (2001-07)...Elements (2003-11)...Civics (2001-05) and Pilots (2003-08) have parts available.

This is what I found online

"Impacted vehicles include the 2007 to 2011 CR-V crossover, 2011 to 2015 CR-Z coupe, 2009 to 2013 Fit, 2013 to 2014 Fit EV, 2010 to 2014 Insight hybrid and the 2007 to 2014 Ridgeline.

Replacement parts will not be available until late summer."

This implies those newer generation Hondas will not have parts available until summer where as other models not mentioned will have parts available...like the Accord, Civic, Element, Pilot, Odyssey

Last edited by shinjari; 03-09-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
I totally hated the Hyundai Elantra sedan Enterprise hooked me up with so I called today to ask for a replacement car. Picking up a Fiesta hatchback in the AM. Much happier. Especially if I'm going to have to live with the thing til summer.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by msbxiv
I totally hated the Hyundai Elantra sedan Enterprise hooked me up with so I called today to ask for a replacement car. Picking up a Fiesta hatchback in the AM. Much happier. Especially if I'm going to have to live with the thing til summer.
not hating the elantra, but would definitely be happier with a focus hatchback. fiesta seems along the lines of the yaris I had and that was terrible.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
I had an Elantra GT when I took my Mom's Fiesta in for repairs under warranty.

Fit > Elantra > Fiesta.

Quick Reply: Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit