2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
Honda social media contacted me about my blogposts relating to the airbag recall. Mainly they were trying to fix my unhappiness with my rentacar choices, while trying not to get my hopes up for an early fix. The social media guy said that there were parts in the pipeline (I've read otherwise) and the Airbag recall rep said it would be mid-summer (toeing the company line). Anyway, they working on arranging a Nissan Versa Note for a swap to the Ford Focus I've been driving. The Focus handles really well, but doesn't fit well in my small garage, and can't handle the volume of cargo I need to throw at it. At least the Versa Note will handle cargo and fit in my garage, and not kill my cranium when I get into it too quickly, but be BORING to drive. I miss my Fit.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:22 PM
Storage taking a toll

I looked in my car today, and saw that mice had been in it! Back in the hatch, and in the glovebox. Any suggestions on how to keep them out?

I decided to start the car, and it was VERY hard to start. It wasn't the battery. What would cause this problem? I don't want to come out of these months with a rental with some huge problem with my Fit.
Any thoughts will be appreciated!

Old 03-22-2016, 07:28 PM
I checked the air filters, and found that a mouse had tried to make a home near (but not in) the cabin filter. I don't think this caused the hard start.
Still wondering why that happened....

Old 03-22-2016, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
I looked in my car today, and saw that mice had been in it! Back in the hatch, and in the glovebox. Any suggestions on how to keep them out?

I decided to start the car, and it was VERY hard to start. It wasn't the battery. What would cause this problem? I don't want to come out of these months with a rental with some huge problem with my Fit.
Any thoughts will be appreciated!
Can't help with mice... Just make sure you stick a sock or something in the tail pipe, cover any other openings, air-intake and vents... Last thing you want to do in inhale mice poop.

Odds are battery could be the culprit, I've already replaced mine in my 2013. Even though trickle charging, if the battery is a few years old, cells could be week affecting the start. A test of the battery at reputable shop or dealership can easily tell.

Smoke: As I stated in previous posts, today's gasoline turns bad very quickly. It breaks down and causes moisture to form. Sta-Bil can help, but inevitably gas will break down. Moisture, combined with some residue oil in the bottom of the block along with sta-bil will produce smoke on startup. The cure - a long run on the highway, at highway speeds, burn the gas and replace with fresh gas.

I haven't taken my Mustang for a long ride yet (still winter here in New England) but first few startups billowed a bunch of smoke when I needed to move it out of the garage. First high-throttle run up the interstate with my 11 year old Pony car will solve that problem.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by paul_g
Can't help with mice... Just make sure you stick a sock or something in the tail pipe, cover any other openings, air-intake and vents... Last thing you want to do in inhale mice poop.

Odds are battery could be the culprit, I've already replaced mine in my 2013. Even though trickle charging, if the battery is a few years old, cells could be week affecting the start. A test of the battery at reputable shop or dealership can easily tell.

Smoke: As I stated in previous posts, today's gasoline turns bad very quickly. It breaks down and causes moisture to form. Sta-Bil can help, but inevitably gas will break down. Moisture, combined with some residue oil in the bottom of the block along with sta-bil will produce smoke on startup. The cure - a long run on the highway, at highway speeds, burn the gas and replace with fresh gas.

I haven't taken my Mustang for a long ride yet (still winter here in New England) but first few startups billowed a bunch of smoke when I needed to move it out of the garage. First high-throttle run up the interstate with my 11 year old Pony car will solve that problem.
Thanks, Paul. I won't be able to take it on a long drive since I've signed the agreement to not drive it at all. I can't wait to burn off that tank of gas and start fresh! I do want to start it regularly, though---I hope that's not a bad idea? I will definitely need a new battery when this is over---I kind of needed one before.
I'll get my neighbor to help me figure out what places I need to cover with steel wool. I don't know where the air intake is..... Right now I've got steel wool in the exhaust pipe, and some mouse traps set around the car.
REALLY hoping for a fix in April. Even though the Altima is a smooth ride, I miss driving my own car.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
>>>>>I do want to start it regularly, though---I hope that's not a bad idea?<<<<<

Yes, bad idea... best to let it sit. Small starts continue to bring bad gas/moisture into the fuel system, oil not getting to circulate and get to temp... Some aftermarket guys do oil catch cans (not necessary) but you should let it sit...

Called my local dealership and they said mid April / May...

Old 03-23-2016, 05:27 AM
5 Year Member
I have two "summer" cars that just sit during all winter. I park them in November with just a trickle charger on the battery... Start them in May without any problem, no smoke at all, never.
Also, I don't use gas stabilizer. Did it the first year, then stopped using it because cars were running rough when started in May.
I also just put a little more air in the tires. Never had a flat spot problem, except for the first driven miles.
One car parked in a garage, the other spends 2 months outside in the cold of the winter, then is garaged for the remainder of winter.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by Frenzal
I have two "summer" cars that just sit during all winter. I park them in November with just a trickle charger on the battery... Start them in May without any problem, no smoke at all, never.
Also, I don't use gas stabilizer. Did it the first year, then stopped using it because cars were running rough when started in May.
I also just put a little more air in the tires. Never had a flat spot problem, except for the first driven miles.
One car parked in a garage, the other spends 2 months outside in the cold of the winter, then is garaged for the remainder of winter.
I think I had a weak battery to start with, so I'll get a new one when the recall is resolved. Then, as suggested by Paul, I'll run out that tank of gas and start fresh. I do have more air in the tires, and will check regularly.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
Well i have seen any mice but good idea with the sock over the exhaust. My car is under a tightly fitting OEM cover so hopefully that'll help.

Also put my car on jack stands to avoid flat spots and put the battery on the trickle each weekend. Can't leave it on the car as the car is parked outside and would hate to ruin my trickle charger due to rain.

Haven't done the sta-bil fuel stuff.

As for running it...leaving it run/idle for a decent amount of time be bad? I'm talking like 15-30 minutes running.

Got my fingers crossed for mid april/may.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by shinjari
Well i have seen any mice but good idea with the sock over the exhaust. My car is under a tightly fitting OEM cover so hopefully that'll help.

Also put my car on jack stands to avoid flat spots and put the battery on the trickle each weekend. Can't leave it on the car as the car is parked outside and would hate to ruin my trickle charger due to rain.

Haven't done the sta-bil fuel stuff.

As for running it...leaving it run/idle for a decent amount of time be bad? I'm talking like 15-30 minutes running.

Got my fingers crossed for mid april/may.
I am also curious about the starting it and letting it run for a while question, but I think Paul stated that this just circulates the bad gas.
I had my car under a cover, and think that actually contributed to the mouse problem. It made them feel safe and secure. I have removed the cover, and I'm opening the doors and hood almost daily to let the critters know that their sanctuary might not be a good one.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:28 PM
Charged up my battery and got the Fit running again. It sat for 33 days. Took my rental Accord back to honda, im sick of that car. It was probably the most boring thing on earth lol.... im gonna drive the Fit around the block a few times a week to keep it going. I have an F150 so i dont really needto drive the Fit. In the month i had the accord i only put 180 miles on it.

Service writer at Honda told me today the parts should be in my mid to late April.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:38 PM
i have a civic hybrid and it's super boring but it get 50mpg and it miles I am not putting on my other cars.. have had it almost a month and put 2k miles on it.. I also drive alot for work..lol

Old 03-23-2016, 05:40 PM
Yeah ive got a work vehicle, so really i had my work car, F150 and rental accord. Add those to my Fit in the garage and wifes Pilot, i ran out of places to park haha. Plus going to Honda every 30 days was 1 more thing on my busy schedule i didnt feel like dealing with. Happy its gone.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FamilyWagon
Charged up my battery and got the Fit running again. It sat for 33 days. Took my rental Accord back to honda, im sick of that car. It was probably the most boring thing on earth lol.... im gonna drive the Fit around the block a few times a week to keep it going. I have an F150 so i dont really needto drive the Fit. In the month i had the accord i only put 180 miles on it.

Service writer at Honda told me today the parts should be in my mid to late April.
So you returned the rental and are not going to drive the Fit? Did they say anything about returning the rental thinking that you might start driving the fit again?

I mean that's the impression I would get as a service writer "oh this guy borrowed a car for 30 days...now hes returning it and going back to driving his car that he said he wouldnt"

I will agree my rental is utterly BORING to drive.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:55 PM
So you returned the rental and are not going to drive the Fit? Did they say anything about returning the rental thinking that you might start driving the fit again?

I mean that's the impression I would get as a service writer "oh this guy borrowed a car for 30 days...now hes returning it and going back to driving his car that he said he wouldnt"

The agreement is that you won't drive the Fit while renting a vehicle. I imagine Honda would be happy if we all just said "F@&$ it", and starting driving our Fits again. They'd save a lot of money. I'm hoping that those of us who are renting will be at the top of the airbag replacement list.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:03 PM

My agreement to not drive the Fit is while i have their loaner. I gave their loaner back, they have no say in whether i drive the Fit or not now.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FamilyWagon
My agreement to not drive the Fit is while i have their loaner. I gave their loaner back, they have no say in whether i drive the Fit or not now.
Makes sense. I always have to think the worst case scenario is all.

Side note, everytime my wallpaper ends up on your car (my wallpaper is just GE fits lol) I really dig those recent wheels you got. Makes me want to trade my Rays for something else, but just like the lighter weight wheel.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
If you can find a place with Alcohol free gasoline its best to fill with that and use the Marine Stabile. Try and top the tank off, when parked so there is no air in the tank will go a long ways to stopping the breakdown of the fuel.

Mice love to eat the new wiring in the LEV cars.. I've heard of shrink wrapping the car to eliminate entry in storage. But you need to use a dehumidifier crystal gadget so it doesn't get damp.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:48 PM
Makes sense. I always have to think the worst case scenario is all.

Side note, everytime my wallpaper ends up on your car (my wallpaper is just GE fits lol) I really dig those recent wheels you got. Makes me want to trade my Rays for something else, but just like the lighter weight wheel.
Thanks! I like these NT03 wheels more than my Meister S1 and TE37's.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
Ugh.

Had to swap my '14 Civic loaner for a rental from Enterprise b/c my dealership is ending its loaner days.

Stuck with a Hyundai Elantra....going to back tomorrow and demand something less dreadful. Its the worst modern car I've driven.

Quick Reply: Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit