2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
My Fit was fixed on Saturday, returned the loaner we had since late February! My dogs are happy to have their car back! LOL

Old 05-03-2016, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
Getting my Fit back this evening after work. Recently swapped rentals to a 2016 F-150 and love it, so not too thrilled to get the Fit back honestly, lol.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by paul_g
My Fit was fixed on Saturday, returned the loaner we had since late February! My dogs are happy to have their car back! LOL
Looks like we made it through the recall after all! Thank you for all your help at the beginning. )

Old 05-04-2016, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
i read where more cars were put on the recall list. including 2016 models. takata may have to eventually replace nearly 90 million airbags. automakers and banks may have to work together to keep the company open, so they can still make airbags for current models. otherwise many auto plants may have to stop making cars. crazy how big this recall is. i think it said 15 auto manufacturers have been affected

Old 05-04-2016, 01:41 PM
called dealerships around me.... still late August to Mid September up here in MI

Old 05-04-2016, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by brivers222
called dealerships around me.... still late August to Mid September up here in MI
Did you turn in your Fit and get a loaner? I think the job will be done much sooner if you do.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:50 PM
I have not. I don't feel like getting their LDW. Talked to my insurance and they said because its a "long term" rental my insurance doesn't cover it.

But I am fine taking my chances. I have a better chance of hitting the Mega Millions than getting shrapenal

Old 05-04-2016, 01:58 PM
I have not. I don't feel like getting their LDW. Talked to my insurance and they said because its a "long term" rental my insurance doesn't cover it.

But I am fine taking my chances. I have a better chance of hitting the Mega Millions than getting shrapenal
It's worth getting a loaner to be at the top of the list. I think I was the second car repaired here. For insurance, I swapped the rental every 21 days, thus starting a new contract. Enterprise never asked for my insurance, so State Farm would never have known that any given rental period was not the only one, therefore not consecutive.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
It's worth getting a loaner to be at the top of the list. I think I was the second car repaired here. For insurance, I swapped the rental every 21 days, thus starting a new contract. Enterprise never asked for my insurance, so State Farm would never have known that any given rental period was not the only one, therefore not consecutive.
hmm okay I will have to look into that

Old 05-04-2016, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
hmm okay I will have to look into that
I'm guessing here, but those of us who had to wait 60 days for the recall fix turned in our cars before the parts were available. Now that the parts are in the pipeline, the dealers will probably get the fixes done significantly faster.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
For those that got the new part, do you know if they reuse the airbag cover? Reason I ask is because I have a red Honda emblem on mine and dont want to have to remove it unless I have to.

It looks like this.

Also, just called my service adviser and they have not received any parts but assured me since I have a loaner that they want to get me out of the loaner as quickly as possible so they will contact me when parts do arrive.

Attached Thumbnails Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit-80-31n7zv0jqol_956239a4d8de29df83c2dc644a449480eaf05f9b.jpg  

Last edited by shinjari; 05-04-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by shinjari
For those that got the new part, do you know if they reuse the airbag cover? Reason I ask is because I have a red Honda emblem on mine and dont want to have to remove it unless I have to.

It looks like this.

Also, just called my service adviser and they have not received any parts but assured me since I have a loaner that they want to get me out of the loaner as quickly as possible so they will contact me when parts do arrive.
It's funny because I was looking at my cover after I got the car back on Monday, and I thought it looked different. I honestly can't tell, though, since I never paid much attention to the old one. This one looks newer, or rounder, or ????

Old 05-05-2016, 08:34 AM
5 Year Member
Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit

Good morning, all. I have a 2009 Fit and live near Princeton, NJ. At the end of March, I received the recall letter. Due to my own delaying, I picked up the rental yesterday, May 4th -- a 2016 Ford Escape. Signed the form saying we won't drive the Fit; but, the Honda employee also said to take it for short drives every day or so to keep the battery from draining and to step hard on the brakes to clear out the rotor dust. When the new parts come in, they'll tow our Fit to the dealership. He said the CRV parts are slowly coming in, but the Fits are taking much longer and that he has no idea when that will be. All things considered, so far so good, except the Escape doesn't get as good MPG as the Fit.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by thenanc
Good morning, all. I have a 2009 Fit and live near Princeton, NJ. At the end of March, I received the recall letter. Due to my own delaying, I picked up the rental yesterday, May 4th -- a 2016 Ford Escape. Signed the form saying we won't drive the Fit; but, the Honda employee also said to take it for short drives every day or so to keep the battery from draining and to step hard on the brakes to clear out the rotor dust. When the new parts come in, they'll tow our Fit to the dealership. He said the CRV parts are slowly coming in, but the Fits are taking much longer and that he has no idea when that will be. All things considered, so far so good, except the Escape doesn't get as good MPG as the Fit.
That doesn't sound like the best advice. I hooked my car to a Battery Tender Plus for two months, and the battery was fine. The brakes will be fine, just don't use the parking brake because it could freeze. When I took my car in on Monday, they said I had a little rust on the brakes from having it sit, so I might hear some squealing, but I didn't hear a thing and the brakes are fine.
Doesn't taking the car on short trips defeat the purpose of getting a rental? And especially, of signing a form saying you won't drive it? I filled up my tank, put in some Sta-Bil as directed, and everything was fine.
The next step is dryer sheets everywhere if you have the possibility of mice.
Doing these things will make the parking period have a good outcome.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member
Thank you, Littleblackcar. We had to give them a photo of the current mileage. I don't think they expect the car to literally just sit there for months as that would cause new and different problems. The battery already died on us from sitting for 6 weeks. He didn't say to take it on short trips. He just said it would be OK to drive it around the block and not at high speeds as, God forbid, any collisions wouldn't be forceful enough to trigger the airbags. Thanks again!

Old 05-05-2016, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by thenanc
Thank you, Littleblackcar. We had to give them a photo of the current mileage. I don't think they expect the car to literally just sit there for months as that would cause new and different problems. The battery already died on us from sitting for 6 weeks. He didn't say to take it on short trips. He just said it would be OK to drive it around the block and not at high speeds as, God forbid, any collisions wouldn't be forceful enough to trigger the airbags. Thanks again!
This thread has great information on that. I also wanted to drive my car short distances, but several people who store cars regularly advised against that because it takes the moisture from the gas and puts it in the oil etc. The Battery Tender prevented any battery problems.
One thing I forgot to mention before is to inflate your tires much higher than driving inflation, but of course not higher than the max. This will help prevent flat spots. I also rolled it ten inches or so at each rental car swap (21 days) to take pressure off the a single spot on the tires. Have you read this thread from the top? It'll really help.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:05 PM
I took my Fit in a week ago and got a loaner Chevy Cruze. My Fit is in the garage. I plan to start it once a week and briefly roll it around in the driveway to keep the tires from getting flat spots.

In other news, I have learned that I can't stand the Chevy Cruze.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lunch box
I took my Fit in a week ago and got a loaner Chevy Cruze. My Fit is in the garage. I plan to start it once a week and briefly roll it around in the driveway to keep the tires from getting flat spots.

In other news, I have learned that I can't stand the Chevy Cruze.
Don't start it weekly. This has been said so many times in this thread and elsewhere. UGH.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Don't start it weekly. This has been said so many times in this thread and elsewhere. UGH.
Duly noted. For anyone else wondering, page 17 of this thread has some good information about it.

Thanks for letting me know.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lunch box
Duly noted. For anyone else wondering, page 17 of this thread has some good information about it.

Thanks for letting me know.
I recommend a CTEK charger, a bit more than other brands, but Honda trusts them enough to offer one as an optional accessory with the new NSX.

Quick Reply: Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit