2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari
Well the Honda Gods must've heard/read me complain because I got my call last night that parts have arrived. Now to schedule a tow to the dealer and wait for the call to pick it up.
Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrub it in !!!

Old 05-18-2016, 03:54 PM
Welp. Honda called me yesterday to bring in the Fit. I dropped it off and I picked up my Fit about 2-3 hours later. I also got my bogus paint protection handled too.

Here is the list of charges by hertz in az..

As I mentioned I broke a hubcap and spent 35$ for it, if i had looked at this list in the beginning I would of left it that way. lol
Also they gas rate to refill it was more expensive then what they offered so I can in with half a tank of gas...TURNS out the manager forgot to sign the slip so they didnt charge me for no gas

Attached Thumbnails Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit-80-c0fjkgv_da1b24b064e9974d353ad77537c5e8bd12a690bf.jpg   Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit-80-5cz3b8n_a92e62dfea14a0e1a50542e1f633124dedb740e8.jpg  
Old 05-18-2016, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Odie
Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrub it in !!!
She's on her way to get fixed. Needless to say I am ecstatic! Just sharing my enthusiasm. My thoughts to the Honda parts gods go out to all who have yet to get the call.

Attached Thumbnails Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit-20160518_124131_zpsen8cfljq.jpg   Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit-20160518_124132_zpsywefuenu.jpg  
Old 05-18-2016, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by validivee
*Driver and passenger side bags are both affected in this recall.
Is this confirmed correct? Only the driver's side airbag was replaced on my 09 Fit after about 5 weeks of waiting.

I also believe that I read that Honda is now expending the recall to include the passenger side air bag but will repair in stages that can will span till 2019.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
Seems like HONDA corporation is replacing the airbag for those with rentals before others that are driving with the defect . If so , this is wrong . That tells of HONDA wanting to save MONEY on the rentals . Should be both parties . Those driving their vehicle with the recall are saving HONDA money by not renting and should get the part / repair as an equal . THEY also should consider doing a buyback program . The dealers are getting assistance and why not the owner ! We'd like to get out of the car , but our conscious won't let us put this debacle onto another or put the possibility of harm onto a new owner .

Last edited by Odie; 05-18-2016 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
Seems like HONDA corporation is replacing the airbag for those with rentals before others that are driving with the defect . If so , this is wrong . That tells of HONDA wanting to save MONEY on the rentals . Should be both parties . Those driving their vehicle with the recall are saving HONDA money by not renting and should get the part / repair as an equal . THEY also should consider doing a buyback program . The dealers are getting assistance and why not the owner ! We'd like to get out of the car , but our conscious won't let us put this debacle onto another or put the possibility of harm onto a new owner .
The thing is, I look at this recall as a preventative measure. Most, if not all the injuries/deaths were reported in early 2000s Honda Civics and most recently a Ford Ranger.

I will agree that Honda is servicing the people with rentals first as they are trying to minimize the cost. Now the rental was my choice and I didn't have to get it and could have kept driving my Fit but opted to be "safe" with the rental. Don't see why you would drive the Fit if a rental was offered but I know many who have opted to continue driving the Fit since the chances of a defect were like hitting the PowerBall Lottery. While I don't necessarily agree with the fact that they are servicing the rental people first, it makes sense from a business side. Everyone had the option to get the rental.

As for wanting to get rid of the car that's a whole other story and helps me see your point of view. I respect that you want to do the next owner "right" by not giving them a car with defective part in the airbag, but also don't feel that Honda had any fault/responsibility in this. They found the problem, reported it, we all got our recalls and the issue will be addressed. The weird thing is, I do NOT see any used GE8 Fits at the dealerships for sale...but see them at other Major dealerships and used car dealers.

Once the part has been replaced the car is good as new. Should be no issue to sell it, people still want the Fit and your conscience will be clean knowing you sold it with a repaired airbag inflator.

Lastly I believe the dealers will start servicing non-rental people soon. I got my call Tuesday night (after driving a rental since early Feb), car towed Wednesday at 12PM to the dealer, got the call from the dealer at 2PM that my car was done and ready. When I went to pick up my Fit, there were easily 15 Fits in the service area awaiting to be picked up. So this tells me they are getting decent/large numbers of the recall part.

Rant over.

Last edited by shinjari; 05-19-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:23 PM
You can definitely take my place in line... I LOVE the Ram 1500 Hemi! So much so that unless the new ridgeline knocks my socks off, I am jumping ship!

hopefully they take care of all the others in the nation and then work their way up to my city

Old 05-19-2016, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
Hi Guys,
I got question,
I just call a Honda Dealer Norm Reeves Honda in Irvine to schedule for airbag recall and left message at one of the service advisor phone.
in 5 minutes I got a call back from a friendly service coordinator (not the service advisor).

she check my vin and told me that I need to get a rental car from them.
I told them I rather drive my car, so she said it is ok.
and then she said she is going to add me to the list of the car waiting for parts because it will be couple of months till summer.
I told her, some people already get the airbag replaced based on the forum post,
she said some parts are starting to arrive but not enough yet.

and she repeat again that she will add me to the list and call me as soon as the parts arrive.
she never ask me to visit the dealer again after I told her I don't want rental car.

my question is,
do phone call from owner like me is enough for her to order me the parts
or do I need to actually go to the dealer to sign some work order or something..???

I just worry that if I wait for few months and then the parts is not being ordered by them cause I had not come in to sign or something...

How do you guys get your parts booked? are you going to the dealer or just by phone?
Thanks

Old 05-19-2016, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
I'm pretty sure they are not ordering parts base on the number of people they have on a list. But they are putting people on a list to get the repair done as parts come in.

I got the rental so I was obviously on their radar. Just make an appointment or ensure you are on a list to get contacted when parts arrive since they seem to be arriving in large batches.

Ultimately there will be a time when they will just have the part available for anyone who still hasn't done the recall. At least that's how I see it.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:24 AM
I have been hearing late summer to fall up here in Michigan. They are hitting all the humid areas first with parts. you gotta look at the fact that there are several million vehicles that all need at least 1 or 2 airbags replaced. Parts are going to be way slow.

Technically we are supposed to get a 2nd letter from Honda stating that the parts are ready for our vehicles. I know I got one for my wifes Ford Focus back in November. My mustang got its first letter in june of 2015 and I am hearing that its going to be summer of 17 before parts are available for that car.

Old 05-22-2016, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by brivers222
I have been hearing late summer to fall up here in Michigan. They are hitting all the humid areas first with parts. you gotta look at the fact that there are several million vehicles that all need at least 1 or 2 airbags replaced. Parts are going to be way slow.

Technically we are supposed to get a 2nd letter from Honda stating that the parts are ready for our vehicles. I know I got one for my wifes Ford Focus back in November. My mustang got its first letter in june of 2015 and I am hearing that its going to be summer of 17 before parts are available for that car.
I'm right up the road from you. Mine came in last week. Getting it fixed Monday in Troy. I've had a rental since a week or so before Easter.

On the down side, my Fit needed a jump to get going today to move it out of the garage where it's been sitting since then. Hopefully the drive down to the dealer will get it cranked up enough that they don't have to jump it to move it around there.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
So it seems some people are getting it fixed and some people are still on a waiting list.

I'll just wait until this all blows over.

Ride or die!

Old 05-23-2016, 01:48 AM
Took and Uber to the dealer (so I could save time while my Fit could stay in my driveway under a cover) and they told me parts wouldn't be available until August. Was given a 2016 Nissan Versa Note and was told they'd call me every 60 day to renew the rental agreement. In mid May, 2 months and 2300 miles later, the part came in and they had my Fit repaired in under 2 hours.

Since I live in an area where there are no loaners, only rentals, I can't imagine the speed up in fix time was motivated by the $1800 in rental fees Honda paid while I wasn't driving my Fit.

P.S. the Versa Note REALLY made me appreciate my Fit even with MANY more years and MANY more miles.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:17 PM
After about 6 weeks of driving a Chevy Cruze rental, I'm back in the Fit. This is much earlier than the "July" estimate that was on my recall notice, which leads me to believe that Honda is replacing parts on the cars of people who they gave rentals to.

Earlier in the thread, someone asked if they replaced the steering wheel airbag cover. This was not the case for me.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:25 PM
Finally getting my car back today,I'm so happy I got bored of the Mustang,by the way I'm in Miami.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
Got my car back today. Dropped it off March 7th in Missouri.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Redlight_305
Finally getting my car back today,I'm so happy I got bored of the Mustang,by the way I'm in Miami.
Yeah, the 6cyl Mustang is a real yawner... which is pretty much all that is available as a rental. Ford is keeping the GT and Ecoboost out of the rental line-ups.

Had they given you either one of those... would be a different story. Or a Shelby GT350 would have been nice too... :-)

Sadly my Mustang GT is still awaiting Takata - it's been two years now with no projected date on when parts will come in.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by paul_g
Yeah, the 6cyl Mustang is a real yawner... which is pretty much all that is available as a rental. Ford is keeping the GT and Ecoboost out of the rental line-ups.

Had they given you either one of those... would be a different story. Or a Shelby GT350 would have been nice too... :-)

Sadly my Mustang GT is still awaiting Takata - it's been two years now with no projected date on when parts will come in.

I own the V6 Convertible with Premium Package. I was between a base V8 coupe and a loaded V6 convertible. the drop top won out. don't regret it at all! I have the 2014 as I am not a fan of the new design

and I just got another letter from ford saying parts are to be expected in the 4th quarter of this year. So they haven't forgot about us lol Its been on recall for me since 7/15

Old 05-27-2016, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by paul_g

It was the ecoboost and heat soak is a motha fucka.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mr.Hollow
So it seems some people are getting it fixed and some people are still on a waiting list.

I'll just wait until this all blows over.

Ride or die!

Same here, pal.

Quick Reply: Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit