2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Creaking noise from front suspension when cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
Creaking noise from front suspension when cold

I know we already have a thread on the DIY forum, but I was hoping to see if more people had this issue. When it's cold outside the front suspension makes noise whenever you go over speed bumps. It sounds like the bushings are making noise. Has anyone here taken their Fit to the dealer to get this fixed? If so, what was done to get rid of the noise?

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...front-end.html

Old 02-29-2016, 03:08 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
my old GE made a little noise in the am when i pulled out from the driveway... i would just apply some white lithium grease to the swaybar bushings inside and out to see if that helps. usually those are the culprit. if not, would check the strut top mounts.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:19 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
I was getting a front end creaking on my 2012 Fit Sport anytime the temps would drop below about 40 degrees. The noise would happen mostly going over dips, speed bumps, and bigger bumps in the road. Just driving along or turning I would'nt have any noise.

Anyway I tried spraying the sway bar bushings and the back control arm bushing with silicone spray that is near the sway bar. Neither of those help.
So on a whim one day I climbed underneath and sprayed the front most control arm bushing with silicone spray.

NO MORE NOISE!!!!! I was shocked but it has been a couple months now and still silent even through some days in the low teens.
Hope this helps you

Old 03-01-2016, 10:35 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Eager To Try This!

I am eager to try this because my 2012 does the exact same thing. Sqeak from front end when cold only. Did not really notice it until the put huge speed bumps in our plant parking lot.

Last edited by marklj; 03-01-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by johnnypedals
I was getting a front end creaking on my 2012 Fit Sport anytime the temps would drop below about 40 degrees. The noise would happen mostly going over dips, speed bumps, and bigger bumps in the road. Just driving along or turning I would'nt have any noise.

Anyway I tried spraying the sway bar bushings and the back control arm bushing with silicone spray that is near the sway bar. Neither of those help.
So on a whim one day I climbed underneath and sprayed the front most control arm bushing with silicone spray.

NO MORE NOISE!!!!! I was shocked but it has been a couple months now and still silent even through some days in the low teens.
Hope this helps you
Thanks for the info! I'll have to do this before it gets cold again.

Old 03-12-2016, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
Posted here about this same thing some time back.
Same thing. When it gets cold and I go over speed bumps, it makes a sound like plastic hitting the speed bump...or something like that. I just ignore it anymore.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
Update: I was able to get under the car and spay some lubricant on the front control arm bushings and most of the noise has gone away! Was able to test since the weather got unusually cold this past weekend.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jy1129
Update: I was able to get under the car and spay some lubricant on the front control arm bushings and most of the noise has gone away! Was able to test since the weather got unusually cold this past weekend.
I'd be interested in giving this a try myself.
What would be a *proper* type of lube to apply for this application?

Old 03-21-2016, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member
That Fixed It

Changed my oil yesterday and liberally applied silicone lube to the front control arm bushing with the front wheels off the ground. Went over the speed bumps in the plant parking lot this cold morning - no more squeak. Happy camper now.

This is what I used. Picked up a can at O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Provides a slick coat of protection. Repels water and inhibits rust. Extends life of metal and non-metal surfaces. Use on rubber, wood, plastic and metal. Low odor. Safe for painted areas. Great for large surface areas.

Attached Thumbnails Creaking noise from front suspension when cold-80-liquid_wrench_2010_silicone_dl_76c8630dafb95f86c2c8b654b76592a77a38b584.jpg  

Last edited by marklj; 03-21-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
This was the first thing that came to mind....but is this the best thing to use? How long will an application of the spray last?

Old 03-21-2016, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ck42
This was the first thing that came to mind....but is this the best thing to use? How long will an application of the spray last?
Probably best to use a lubricating spray that says it is safe to use on rubber. Most silicone based lube sprays are OK, but always check the label.

How long will it last? Unknown. I will post back on this thread if / when it reoccurs.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:37 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
usually those creaks are from stabilizer bushings. should really remove the bracket, grease the bushing inside and out using white lithium grease. it can last a very long time.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
usually those creaks are from stabilizer bushings. should really remove the bracket, grease the bushing inside and out using white lithium grease. it can last a very long time.
I'll have to do that once I get the car on a lift again which won't be until my next oil change.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:47 PM
What have I done

Keen to experience vtec I shifted my auto fit into second and floored it
Well after five things went crazy

I forgot I was supposed to change at seven and the engine did some strange things

Still seems ok but what was that funny hunting at seven and how does one blow it

Grob

Old 11-01-2016, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
So the weather has gotten cold recently... and the squeaky noise hasn't come back! I think it may have been the alignment being out of spec - I hit a big pothole that caused a huge sidewall bubble (so glad it didn't blow out) and the toe was off by a lot. So if you've hit some big pot holes, the noise may be due to the alignment being off.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
Just a little update. It got cold here in North Texas and my fit sounded like a old horse carriage when going over speed bumps or uneven road. Unbelievable creaking/crunching noise from the front end. Worse than last year. Mind you there is zero noise when temp is above 60f.

​​​​​So I took both front wheels off and sprayed silicone all over the control arm bushings. Noise is completely gone.

Don't know how long it will last but at least I know what causes the noise thanks to this thread. Dealership couldn't figure out this during the 3 trips I made , each winter.

Old 07-30-2020, 10:08 PM
Horray for silicone spray. The squeak/sounds were driving me crazy and silicone spray the lower control arm bushing fixed it right away.

Very thankful for this this thread

Old 07-31-2020, 02:23 AM
On my old Toyota Tacoma, I had the same noise. It was old and I didn't think anything of it. 6 months later the wheel broke off as I was turning into my driveway. It was the ball joint.