2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Who is still driving their Fit in spite of recall?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
what was the recall for
i have a 2011 with manual trans?
thanks

Old 03-03-2016, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
It's the Takata airbag. They've just added several new cars to the recall, so check your VIN number. Honda hasn't even sent out the recall notices yet, it's so recent. I found out when I went to get my oil changed. 2009-2014 Fits, I believe.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member
Those that get loaners / rentals may want to make sure it doesn't have an open recall . Go to safercar.gov , Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) . You never know .

Old 03-03-2016, 10:19 PM
I don't know why u wouldn't take advantage of this.. do I miss driving my fit, yes but I get to put miles on someone else's car in the mean time.. while my fit is down.. it's getting lots of upgrades and a good cleaning. I consider it a win win imo... if u get tired of the loaner just take it back.. they can't keep u from driving your car...

Old 03-04-2016, 06:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jserman
I don't know why u wouldn't take advantage of this.. do I miss driving my fit, yes but I get to put miles on someone else's car in the mean time.. while my fit is down.. it's getting lots of upgrades and a good cleaning. I consider it a win win imo... if u get tired of the loaner just take it back.. they can't keep u from driving your car...
I'm going to do it. I might have to buy a battery in the end, but it'll be worth it.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:12 AM
5 Year Member
WHy would you need to buy a battery? get a battery tender instead =)

Old 03-05-2016, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phenoyz
what was the recall for
i have a 2011 with manual trans?
thanks
Cut & Paste from Safety Recall:

In certain vehicles, the driver’s (front) airbag inflator could
produce excessive internal pressure during airbag
deployment. If an affected airbag deploys, the increased
internal pressure may cause the inflator casing to rupture.
Metal fragments could pass through the airbag cushion
material, possibly causing injury or fatality to vehicle
occupants. At this time, we’re working to identify the root
cause, but we do know that exposure to high temperatures
and high humidity seems to be a contributing factor

I have my loaner. The compound that Takata uses in the inflators is Ammonium Nitrate to deploy the airbag. Same compound used to take down the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in downtown Oklahoma City. The canisters are made of aluminum or metal, so during the explosion the 1" to 2" shards of metal shoot into your face and head.

Essentially, it's like driving with an IED mounted on your steering wheel... Google it! You'll see the news reports and some spot-light articles on surviving victims.

Not thanks... I'm taking the loaner. As I have posted in other threads, my Mustang GT is also affected, however that is a car that remains in storage most of the year.

Last edited by paul_g; 03-05-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
Or to put it another way, who has taken advantage of the loaner that Honda is required to provide? I'm trying to decide what to do about this.
Loaner? This ought to be good.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
Loaner? This ought to be good.
Not sure I quite understand the comment?

Honda has contracted with Enterprise to rent you a car. 30 Days per rental agreement with a renewal every 30 days after until your car is fixed.

There are other threads on this forum with really good information and links regarding this recall and loaner program.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
I'm still not impressed with these Scary Airbags of Death. Even if the Takata designers wore Nikes, the same shoes worn by Jeffrey Dahmer. And even if they sent out for pizza, the same food eaten by OJ Simpson, and maybe even more non sequiturs.

I disapprove of airbags in general- I'd rather wear a seatbelt than add energy to a collision. That said, it's always best to avoid the kind of things that set them off. I'll keep doing that even after the recall's done.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
And who is to say that the air bags in the loaner were not made by Takata?

Old 03-05-2016, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
The loaner is a 2016 and is not under recall.
Most manufacturers switched from Takata in 2015.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
Even if the Takata designers wore Nikes, the same shoes worn by Jeffrey Dahmer. And even if they sent out for pizza, the same food eaten by OJ Simpson, and maybe even more non sequiturs.

I disapprove of airbags in general- I'd rather wear a seatbelt than add energy to a collision. That said, it's always best to avoid the kind of things that set them off. I'll keep doing that even after the recall's done.
Takata airbag designers wear nikes by Jeffrey Dahmer + Ate same pizza by OJ Simpson = no concern over shrapnel from airbag canisters which have maimed and killed people.

I fail to see any logic in your equation or how it computes???

If you opt to drive with a known defect that can kill or (in what I consider worse case) permanently disabled, with painful life altering injuries and and unable to provide for your family leaving them in ruin, go ahead. If you think lawsuit, good luck with that. In 10 years maybe you'll get the settlement.

Whilst it's always best to avoid doing risk that would cause the air bags to deploy, sometimes they're called "accidents" and often they're not left up to you, sometimes someone else or something causes them.. i.e. the Deer that darted out in front of your car with no time to react, or the distracted driver on their cell phone who crossed their lane into you.

As long as Honda has notified you and offered you a loaner, and promised repair they have met their obligations. I have to think about my family and others in the vehicle, and how their lives would be affected if one of us were permanently painfully disfigured or injured.

Just ask this young man's wife... with two little kids. I'm sure she could care less about who wore what and ate what.
About Corey Burdick

Old 03-06-2016, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
Umm, you were driving through Oklahoma City with an IED in your hands. It brought all kinds of irrelevancies to mind, and I figured adding more might point that out. Didn't work. Anything you do can get you killed or maimed, especially in a car. Now that the airbag is known to add more danger to the mix, it's really just a matter of degree.

I don't see any reason to panic. Like I said, I'd rather just not have them. I could really use better visibility around the A pillar instead: you know, something that reduces the chance of collisions, instead of pretending we can make things collision proof.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
Umm, you were driving through Oklahoma City with an IED in your hands. It brought all kinds of irrelevancies to mind, and I figured adding more might point that out. Didn't work. Anything you do can get you killed or maimed, especially in a car. Now that the airbag is known to add more danger to the mix, it's really just a matter of degree.

I don't see any reason to panic. Like I said, I'd rather just not have them. I could really use better visibility around the A pillar instead: you know, something that reduces the chance of collisions, instead of pretending we can make things collision proof.
I certainly am going to lessen my chances of death or paralysis from some stupid accident. Getting the rental.
I agree about the A Pillar----it's ridiculous. A whole lane gets blocked out at the right (wrong) angle.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:39 PM
Theoretically speaking, if you disconnected the yellow connector inside the steering wheel, that would prevent the airbag from being deployed, correct?

Old 03-06-2016, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by arrow_runner
Theoretically speaking, if you disconnected the yellow connector inside the steering wheel, that would prevent the airbag from being deployed, correct?
Is it the yellow or the blue, I can never remember??? Awe, heck with it..... I'm cutting the blue...

Old 03-06-2016, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by paul_g
Is it the yellow or the blue, I can never remember??? Awe, heck with it..... I'm cutting the blue...
Yellow you're mellow, blue you're through

Old 03-07-2016, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member

Jumbo, we hardly knew you.

Attached Thumbnails Who is still driving their Fit in spite of recall?-80-hudsonhawk1991_0806_aaf3cc0a86a92ae527163b1cd7ca5da8a2dfeaec.jpg  
Old 03-07-2016, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by paul_g
Not sure I quite understand the comment?

Honda has contracted with Enterprise to rent you a car. 30 Days per rental agreement with a renewal every 30 days after until your car is fixed.

There are other threads on this forum with really good information and links regarding this recall and loaner program.

Paul, you make it sound easy. I hope you're right. But every warranty issue I've had for the last 30 years has been a knock-down-drag-out fight.

Quick Reply: Who is still driving their Fit in spite of recall?