2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is still driving their Fit in spite of recall?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
Paul, you make it sound easy. I hope you're right. But every warranty issue I've had for the last 30 years has been a knock-down-drag-out fight.
Super easy. Call recall line to get a case number. Wait for case manager or you can set up an appt with your dealer of choice. Give them case number and request a loaner/rental. Fill out paperwork. Pick up rental.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
Paul, you make it sound easy. I hope you're right. But every warranty issue I've had for the last 30 years has been a knock-down-drag-out fight.
It was easy... I did not have a case number and did not call Honda USA.
I contacted the service manager with my dealership, who was already aware of the recall & loaner program. Enterprise met me there. The car and all the paperwork was all set by the time I got there.

I just hope the sales manager is equally aware of the depreciation incentive...

Old 03-07-2016, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
Depreciation incentive? Say what?

Old 03-07-2016, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
I think this will be okay because it's a recall, not a regular warranty issue. I'm getting my rental tomorrow, and I'll probably have one rental or another until Fall. This sucks, but it doesn't suck as bad as shrapnel in the neck.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
is there any way of mandating that the loaner is another honda or are they going to put me in a freakin spark or something.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bensenvill
is there any way of mandating that the loaner is another honda or are they going to put me in a freakin spark or something.
Unless your dealer is giving you a loaner from their personal loaner fleet there is no guarantee what you will get from the rental company. You can ask what vehicles are available and possibly choose what you can get.

At Hertz I was given a Yaris 4-door due to no other compacts being available. They told me to come back in a week and when I did I had a choice between a Corolla, Elantra and keeping the Yaris. I went with the Elantra. Have to check the car back in 30 days. Maybe I'll get another car then due to maintenance schedules or something who knows.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:38 PM
yea I would see if you could get a loaner from the dealership... I went 100% through the dealership I never called Honda corporate.. the dealership took care of everything and I have a 2015 civic hybrid to drive..

Old 03-08-2016, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
For those of you who are continuing to drive your Fit, how do you mentally deal with the fact a minor fender bender could kill you?
For those of you who have gotten rentals, do any of you live in North Carolina? My insurance company (State Farm) will not insure consecutive rentals. I need to know if this is a state law or not. How are the rest of you handling this problem? In the meantime, I have an Altima for 21 days, and then...???

Old 03-08-2016, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
You can get killed crossing the street. Accepting your own mortality is a critical part of being alive. More importantly, if you live in the US you'd be better off worrying about your Big Mac or a patriotic 9 mil, because they both kill more Americans than airbags do.

If your cute little Honda scares you more than the things that really kill us, how do you mentally deal with actually dangerous things?

Old 03-09-2016, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
For those of you who are continuing to drive your Fit, how do you mentally deal with the fact a minor fender bender could kill you?
For those of you who have gotten rentals, do any of you live in North Carolina? My insurance company (State Farm) will not insure consecutive rentals. I need to know if this is a state law or not. How are the rest of you handling this problem? In the meantime, I have an Altima for 21 days, and then...???
Eights deaths reported in this defective airbag inflator thing, right? It seems to me that this is the sort of thing that, until the GM ignition switch recall, would have been swept under the carpet and forgotten about. In other words, Honda is recalling for the liability issue perhaps more than the likelihood of mass failures. I could be wrong, of course.

I don't like my dealer even looking at my car from a safe distance, so there is little chance that I will get my mind to accept the idea of letting them store my car until parts become available. That leaves me parking it in my carport (and taking it out periodically to keep everything from going to seed) and taking a loaner, or just keep driving my "deathmobile" (as someone on this forum called it).

You don't understand how hard my life really is. Tomorrow, I have to commit to the idea of taking my Fit to a car wash because I can't wash it where I now live. Car washes make me anxious. Very anxious.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:55 AM
5 Year Member
Eights deaths reported in this defective airbag inflator thing, right? It seems to me that this is the sort of thing that, until the GM ignition switch recall, would have been swept under the carpet and forgotten about. In other words, Honda is recalling for the liability issue perhaps more than the likelihood of mass failures. I could be wrong, of course.

I don't like my dealer even looking at my car from a safe distance, so there is little chance that I will get my mind to accept the idea of letting them store my car until parts become available. That leaves me parking it in my carport (and taking it out periodically to keep everything from going to seed) and taking a loaner, or just keep driving my "deathmobile" (as someone on this forum called it).

You don't understand how hard my life really is. Tomorrow, I have to commit to the idea of taking my Fit to a car wash because I can't wash it where I now live. Car washes make me anxious. Very anxious.
Have you thought of No Rinse Wash? For my clients, I use Megs D114. I like D114 because it is very high in lubricity, has cleanser properties (i.e. gets most contaminants off), leaves a super glossy finish. It's also great for you Cali guys and gals where you have water restrictions.

Note to Moderators, I"m not advertising my business (notice no name mentioned), nor do I represent Meguiar's or Autogeek.

Last edited by paul_g; 03-09-2016 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
You can get killed crossing the street. Accepting your own mortality is a critical part of being alive. More importantly, if you live in the US you'd be better off worrying about your Big Mac or a patriotic 9 mil, because they both kill more Americans than airbags do.

If your cute little Honda scares you more than the things that really kill us, how do you mentally deal with actually dangerous things?
I work in an ER and I might know even better than you do what kills us. You took quite a leap when you assumed I don't accept my own mortality. Your attitude is similar to a smoker who says 'something's gonna kill me, why not this?'.
Thank you for your input, but I didn't find it helpful.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:14 PM
I'm still driving mine. I emailed the dealer about the fix and got the standard "we won't be able to do that until the summer". My Fit is my only car and I have an infant who requires a car seat. I never heard of the option to get a loaner until a fix is available. Even if I could, parking is an issue around my apartment and I only have one permit. Also, there is the car seat issue. So I guess those are the reasons why I'm still driving it.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by OSUBuckly
I'm still driving mine. I emailed the dealer about the fix and got the standard "we won't be able to do that until the summer". My Fit is my only car and I have an infant who requires a car seat. I never heard of the option to get a loaner until a fix is available. Even if I could, parking is an issue around my apartment and I only have one permit. Also, there is the car seat issue. So I guess those are the reasons why I'm still driving it.
I bet most dealers aren't letting people know that rental cars are available-----mine didn't. You could park your Fit at the dealer while waiting for the parts, but I do understand that it's a difficult decision due to circumstances. For me, too.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by OSUBuckly
The dealer will rent you a car in the same "class" as the Fit for 30 days then the contract has to be reissued. Whatever rental they give you, the child seat should fit. The dealer can hold onto your car if you cannot or opt not too

If the dealers aren't telling, then ask and demand. There are other threads on the forum that have spelled out the details on how to get one.
I just had to make a phone call and I was all set. I got a Nissan Versa.

Also, when you ask for the rental and opt to have them keep your car at the dealer, the dealer will tow your vehicle to the dealership at no cost to you. For those that opt to keep your car at home, the dealer will tow the vehicle back to the dealership when the parts come in.

The fact than auto maker is taking this so seriously that it's spending millions to rent cars and tow cars for it's customers says something.

Last edited by paul_g; 03-09-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
Paul:

Thanks for the tip regarding Megs D114. I got through the 1 min. front scrawl, and about 18:13 of the video. (These guys like they're making Gone with the Wind?) Looks like a good product. I'll see if my local Pep Boys has it.

This is all perfectly safe for the clear coat, right?

Old 03-10-2016, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
Paul:

Thanks for the tip regarding Megs D114. I got through the 1 min. front scrawl, and about 18:13 of the video. (These guys like they're making Gone with the Wind?) Looks like a good product. I'll see if my local Pep Boys has it.

This is all perfectly safe for the clear coat, right?
Perfectly safe on clear-coat, bubba proof as I would say. I'd be surprised if you find it OTC at Pep, autozone, etc.., it's Megs Detailers Pro line.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by paul_g
Perfectly safe on clear-coat, bubba proof as I would say. I'd be surprised if you find it OTC at Pep, autozone, etc.., it's Megs Detailers Pro line.
I didn't find it.

Gotta get it online? On their site, perhaps?

Old 03-11-2016, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
Old 03-11-2016, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by shinjari
Unless your dealer is giving you a loaner from their personal loaner fleet there is no guarantee what you will get from the rental company...
This. Our Fiesta is in the shop for minor recall work and I had the choice of a Focus sedan or an F-150 through the onsite Enterprise office.

Quick Reply: Who is still driving their Fit in spite of recall?