2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is still driving their Fit in spite of recall?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
Who is still driving their Fit in spite of recall?

Or to put it another way, who has taken advantage of the loaner that Honda is required to provide? I'm trying to decide what to do about this.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:51 PM
I think most people are driving. Only 10 people out of millions of affected vehicles had issues. I'm taking my chance.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:31 AM
I took the loaner

Originally Posted by littleblackcar
Or to put it another way, who has taken advantage of the loaner that Honda is required to provide? I'm trying to decide what to do about this.
I'm driving a '15 civic. It's nice. My fit is parked in the driveway, will head in to the garage this weekend where it will wait for its new airbag parts to arrive at the dealer.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:36 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
if i still had my GE, i would still drive it.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
if i still had my GE, i would still drive it.
IMO, you're lucky not to have it at this point.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by The Fitness
I'm driving a '15 civic. It's nice. My fit is parked in the driveway, will head in to the garage this weekend where it will wait for its new airbag parts to arrive at the dealer.
I'm going to talk to the case manager (if I ever get a call back), and then decide. Are you going to drive or roll your Fit to keep the tires from getting flat spots? Anything else special you're doing for storage?

Old 03-02-2016, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
I wonder if it's as simple as pulling a fuse? If it were, I'd probably do it.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
but if it's not a random signal triggering the airbag to deploy on its own through the wireharness, then it makes no sense unplugging it unless you completely remove the airbag from the steering wheel. it could still deploy while unplugged.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:11 PM
Can I call my local Honda dealer about this even though I haven't received a recall notice in the mail? Sorry in advance for being a noob.

Yes, I'm still driving my Fit. It could be until 2017 before dealers get to this fix, and I don't want to drive a base CVT Civic for a year or more.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Yes you can set up an appointment with your dealer prior to talking to case manager. Dealer just wants your case number anyways.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lunch box
Can I call my local Honda dealer about this even though I haven't received a recall notice in the mail? Sorry in advance for being a noob.

Yes, I'm still driving my Fit. It could be until 2017 before dealers get to this fix, and I don't want to drive a base CVT Civic for a year or more.
Yes, call or do a VIN search. I found out accidentally because I went in for a routine oil change. They haven't mailed out notices yet for the cars that got added to the recall list in January.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lunch box

It's just so wrong that anyone should have to park their car until (potentially) 12/17. How can that be good for the car? I'll probably keep driving my Fit. Damn, this sucks. I'm going to stay on the dealer, though, about when those parts arrive.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
Why would I park it?

Old 03-02-2016, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
but if it's not a random signal triggering the airbag to deploy on its own through the wireharness, then it makes no sense unplugging it unless you completely remove the airbag from the steering wheel. it could still deploy while unplugged.

it appears to be something to do with the inflator's chemistry so has nothing to do with pulling the fuse or unplugging the srs. so never mind dat idea, it wont work.

non-desiccated ammonium-nitrate inflators appears to be the reported root cause amoungst other contamination.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
Why would I park it?
If you get a loaner while you're waiting for recall parts, you have to sign something saying you won't drive your car.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah the airbag is deploying with too much pressure causing the metal housing to rupture.

I will probably drive my car every once in a while to keep it charged, gas flowing and no flat spots.

If you get a loaner while you're waiting for recall parts, you have to sign something saying you won't drive your car.

That's if the dealership even has or finds that Takata airbag recall form. My dealership simply included a note on the invoice "customer requests to keep vehicle in his possession until parts arrive".

Old 03-02-2016, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Xtina
I think most people are driving. Only 10 people out of millions of affected vehicles had issues. I'm taking my chance.
Agreed. I have a better chance of winning a powerball jackpot. And since most of the affected cars have been in humid environments, not so much to worry about here in California.....

Old 03-02-2016, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Codger01
Agreed. I have a better chance of winning a powerball jackpot. And since most of the affected cars have been in humid environments, not so much to worry about here in California.....
While I agree with the powerball comment. 8 of the 9 recorded fatalities were in hondas, and iirc 2 were in California...granted I want to say northern cali.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
You should take advantage of that if it's your only car. I'm undecided if I want to get a rental. My '10 Fit is the winter beater that gets stored in a garage when the weather is nice and I have two other cars to drive.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
It's my only car. I'm worried about storing it, though, because that means being parked in the gravel driveway for six months. I'm not sure it's worth it....maybe I should just keep driving it? I can get a rental through Honda if I want one. It's a hard decision.

Quick Reply: Who is still driving their Fit in spite of recall?