2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Advanced Auto Parts won't replace bad battery.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 06:03 PM
Advanced Auto Parts won't replace bad battery.

I bought a battery about 2 years ago and I have a 3 year warranty with advance auto parts. Over the last few months the battery has been dying. If I leave the keys in the ignition or the lights on, the battery will surely die within 5 minutes, often a lot sooner. Many times my car would not start in the morning (with no lights or power left on). If I don't drive for a day the battery will certainly be dead the day after. My 09 fit is 100% stock with nothing extra that would drain the battery.

When I went to advanced auto parts their battery tester says my battery is fine. They also performed another test on the starter and alternator and everything passed.

I've had bad batteries before and it clearly seems like the battery is bad, but could it possibly be something else? How could I prove to advance auto parts that the battery is bad?

Thanks

Note: Fit batteries aren't standard size, but I saw the guy who tested it put in the number that was on the battery (340). Idk if that might have anything to do with it.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
My 09 fit is 100% stock with nothing extra that would drain the battery.
You still need to test it for a drain that would kill the battery.
Test with an ammeter.

Drain should be less than 30mA after 10 minutes.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
Aren't automotive batteries prorated anyway? So a 2 yr old battery on a 3 yr warranty will probably result in not much return for you even if it gave out now. In other words, you might even find a better deal than Advance on a new battery that would be about the same price you pay to Advance once they subtract the prorated price on your old one.

I had an issue with my GD3 where I got in my car one morning and the battery was dead. Turned out that the cargo light in the back was futzed and left itself on all night even though the hatch was closed etc. I wound up pulling the bulb so it wouldn't drain the battery, then got an LED replacement so even if there were a problem, wouldn't drain the battery as much as a traditional bulb would. I'm wondering if you're leaking voltage somewhere like this and that's what's draining your battery.