2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC is really weak. Do I just need a recharge?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
On the new R134 systems it critical to get the pressure right and your not likely to get it right with the can gauges, the compressor has to be running when you put the charge in, the Harbor Freight gauges are fairly good, I use them and my AC works great on all my cars..

Just 1 or 2 ounces overfill is enough to ruin your compressor.
I also have some harbor freight gauges and they seem to work well but you can also rent manifold gauges at autozone for free, just have to put down a deposit, as long as you return it you will get it back. You can also rent a vacuum pump and uv leak detector kit. Again it's all free just put down a deposit.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:10 PM
Hmm, sounds like I should go rent the tool from Autozone. My wife and I will be out of the country for the next week, but when we get back this is going to be a priority as it's heating up here in the Bay Area! Hopefully I've not messed up the compressor by overfilling the system

Old 04-20-2016, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jpod999
Hmm, sounds like I should go rent the tool from Autozone. My wife and I will be out of the country for the next week, but when we get back this is going to be a priority as it's heating up here in the Bay Area! Hopefully I've not messed up the compressor by overfilling the system
Here I listed the part # for the loan a tools you may need, definitely the manifold gauges, they have many of the available loan a tools listed online but have the complete list usually on a mat on the counter, just give the part # pay the deposit for the item and you have 90 days to use, once returned you will receive a 100% refund tax and all.

Loan-A-Tool | AutoZone.com

Manifold Gauge part # 84661-AZ
Vacuum pump part # 90059-R-AZ
UV leak detector kit part #53300-AZ

Old 04-21-2016, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
Sure beats paying $175 at the dealer for an evacuation/recharge service. As previously mentioned just take care not to overfill. It's a tiny system, but when you have the correct amount, it works excellent! Also, remember to vac out or replace the cabin AC filter under the glovebox. It's probably got oak tree crap + dirt in it if it's like mine. Fun to spritz a bit of air freshener or your favorite cologne spray on it as well.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:17 PM
I'm back to give an update! Got tired of dealing with it so I took it to a shop owned by one of my dad's friends. Turns out the compressor went out and needed to be replaced. $750 later and the AC is working! Way more money than I wanted to spend but I couldn't have my wife driving around during the summer with no AC.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm.. kinda interesting how many honda compressors die, I've never replaced an ac compressor on a vehicle and many of mine have gone 300K miles..

The fit compressor is almost under the engine. Easy to get at.
If you rented the pump and gauges it would be probably a sub 1.5 hour job.. Besides the pump down time..

Old 06-09-2016, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
Hmm.. kinda interesting how many honda compressors die, I've never replaced an ac compressor on a vehicle and many of mine have gone 300K miles..

The fit compressor is almost under the engine. Easy to get at.
If you rented the pump and gauges it would be probably a sub 1.5 hour job.. Besides the pump down time..
Yeah it probably wouldn't have been too difficult of a job. We just happened to be out of town and I don't want to spend time working on the Fit when I could be working on my E30 project. It was worth it to me to just get it taken care of.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:40 PM
I guess I'll do a little update too.

So far after a recharge my AC has been working fine. But I don't drive it much at all, maybe been 4-5 full tanks of gas since the recharge.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:17 AM
Had the same issue, $100 to get it recharged about a year ago solved it.

Originally Posted by CoryP
My AC is really weak, still a bit cold but pretty weak. Should it need a recharge this early? Its a 2010 and thought I'd just need a recharge but after thinking over a bit it should not need a recharge this soon? Though it does have 180k kms on it. But if there is an AC leak then it would not be cold at all right?
About 1 year ago (I am in SC and use the air conditioner all year long) my 2012 Fit Sport would not blow cold air on the 3 and 4 dial setting, and using the 1 or 2 setting was weak but blew cold air (took a long time to cool the car).

I paid a local shop just under $100 for a recharge and it is still blowing cold air properly on all adjustments roughly one year later.

Old 11-17-2023, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by jpod999
Good looking out! I was able to get the can for about $6 and the valve/hose for about $15. The problem I was having is that I couldn't get the AC compressor to kick in so the gauge was indicating that the pressure was maxed out. While I was driving the car on the freeway the compressor just happened to kick in, so when I pulled into my garage I grabbed the refrigerant and put it in the system. Based on the gauge car ac gas filling near me, the pressure seemed a bit low. I got most of the can in and the needle moved a bit, but didn't put it in the range it was (supposedly) supposed to be in.

When I took the car back out, the compressor had a tough time kicking in. It would click loudly, engage for a few seconds, then click loudly again and disengage. When it would engage the engine would get super bogged down making it feel like I'd tossed an anchor out the back.

Seems like the AC clutch might be malfunctioning?

Edit: Actually, on second thought...maybe I should check the AC relay?
My A/C had been leaking around the filler valve core, i put a new one in it last night but had to completely drain all the refrigerant out of it. I put one 14oz can in it last night but today it took over 30 minutes for me to stop sweating on my drive home....My compressor seems to be working ok it just never has blown cold air. Do you think the 14oz can should have filled the system back up or do you think i have another leak or other problem? Thanks in advance..........Its Very hot down here!!!!

Old 11-21-2023, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
Pardon if some info I list is a rehash:
The Wifes' 2nd gen did experience same lessening of cooling ability which prompted the following:
Gauges did indicate pressures somewhat low, but still functioning. I suspect yours to be similar.
Examination of hoses and various components did show a tad of oil (lubricant in the system) to be leaking around shaft seal in compressor.
An on hand partial 30 pound cannister of R-134A was used to bring pressures back to optimum values which resulted in preferred results.
As a precaution, did install several oz of lubricant prior to 134A introduction.
Depending upon your equipment, it always best to "bleed" AC hoses to eliminate air out them as not to introduce into the AC system.
One can do quite a few top-offs in comparison to a new compressor.
I would not recommend waiting until system is totally depleted.
(Later did find I did not fully shut cannister off and over time it discharged completely. )
Thought I was having problem with my Insight AC until found a multi-level condominium in the fan heater/AC housing area which was inhabited by field mouse seeking refuge. Fellow had laid in stores for the winter.

Old 11-21-2023, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by irontmp
My A/C had been leaking around the filler valve core, i put a new one in it last night but had to completely drain all the refrigerant out of it. I put one 14oz can in it last night but today it took over 30 minutes for me to stop sweating on my drive home....My compressor seems to be working ok it just never has blown cold air. Do you think the 14oz can should have filled the system back up or do you think i have another leak or other problem? Thanks in advance..........Its Very hot down here!!!!
Short Skinny- you have exchanged one problem for another.
If I understand your actions, you depleted the system and install freon without pulling a vacuum which leaves air in the system (which is like a new dose of STDs. The AC system will eventually fail unless evacuated, replacement of dryer/accumulator (as now contaminated) vacuum hold (to determine if system viable ), proper lubricant and appropriate R134A reinstalled. Memory does not afford exact amount of freon required, but think less than or~3 pounds.