2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Recall Roll Call!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 03:50 PM
Airbag Recall--getting a loaner???

Just found out I am affected. Called local Honda dealer and "put on list of waiting". So how are you all getting a free loaner? Kind of makes me nervous being the drivers side.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:57 PM
Call Honda America and get a case number (for just in case your local dealer fights you). Then call the local dealer and tell them you would like to use Hondas offer for alternative transportation until your vehicle is repaired. Mine has been sitting on dealer backlot for 89 days

Old 08-03-2016, 09:15 AM
Thanks, and yes, that is exactly what I did. Today I am being shuttled to dealership to pick up a loaner. I am choosing to park my car in my drive for the duration, hoping that since I got a loaner they will rush me to the top of the line. Honda dealership did mention the floor people are not allowed to offer loaner, but will comply if asked, if they have authorization, which I'm sure all do.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:52 AM
good to know! did they give you an estimate on timing? last renewal I did they said its looking like October for me now.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by brivers222
good to know! did they give you an estimate on timing? last renewal I did they said its looking like October for me now.
Did they fix your driver's side airbag or your rental is for the passenger airbag?
I have to call Honda today to get an update regarding my case number.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by brivers222
I just picked up loaner. They said maybe two weeks, especially since I do have a honda loaner. Guess they'd like their new Fit back on the lot!!

Old 08-03-2016, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by utsug
Did they fix your driver's side airbag or your rental is for the passenger airbag?
I have to call Honda today to get an update regarding my case number.
Loaners are being given out for driverside airbag only. If on passenger side, they ask for you to not seat anyone there.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:42 AM
Yeah I am waiting on the Driver side airbag. My VIN doesn't have a recall out for passenger side (yet)

Old 08-03-2016, 11:49 AM
?? There's a chance it could also be for the passenger side TOO?

Old 08-03-2016, 12:49 PM
My wife has a 2013 Fit Sport. She received a recall notice in the mail. She got a rental from the dealer and in about 4 weeks they called her to bring the Fit in to be fixed. I have a 2010 Fit Sport and have never received a recall letter. I went online and my VIN has been recalled. I checked with the dealer and they said no parts until late summer and they put me on the list to be notified when they are in. They did not offer a rental until I asked about it. They also said they had no room on their lot to store the car either. Fortunately I can keep it at my house while I wait. I am going to get a rental from them. It appears to speed up the process

Old 08-03-2016, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by sandi
?? There's a chance it could also be for the passenger side TOO?
Yes, mine is affected both. The driver side has been fixed already but not the passenger side.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:24 PM
Earlier last month Honda announced that they were recalling VIN specific Passenger side airbags... I found this on the NHTSA website

Recently, Honda confirmed that there were two additional deaths over the last couple of months relating to these defective airbags. Both were in Malaysia and involved driver-side airbag ruptures. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has added 35 million to 40 million airbags that must be replaced to the recall on top of 29 million already covered by previous recall campaigns. The expanded recall will take place in five phases prioritized by risk from now through December 2019. The expanded recall includes passenger-side airbags that were not covered by prior recall campaigns. This airbag defect has been linked to 10 deaths in the U.S. and more than 100 injuries. The death toll is continuing to increase.

Which is why I say "yet" So far my VIN doesn't appear to have the passenger recall, only the driver.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Wdoney
My wife has a 2013 Fit Sport. She received a recall notice in the mail. She got a rental from the dealer and in about 4 weeks they called her to bring the Fit in to be fixed. I have a 2010 Fit Sport and have never received a recall letter. I went online and my VIN has been recalled. I checked with the dealer and they said no parts until late summer and they put me on the list to be notified when they are in. They did not offer a rental until I asked about it. They also said they had no room on their lot to store the car either. Fortunately I can keep it at my house while I wait. I am going to get a rental from them. It appears to speed up the process
is this for the driver side or passenger side?

Old 08-03-2016, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by utsug
is this for the driver side or passenger side?
Drivers side

Old 08-03-2016, 03:33 PM
Talking Airbag Recall fixed- in one day after notifying dealer.

This drama started yesterday with my finding out about this recall. Did all I was suppose to do, made phone calls, talked to both Honda HQ and local dealer. Was issued a loaner this morning, was able to leave my car in driveway till the part was in etc...about two hours later after driving loaner home, got phone call from local dealer, they found an airbag for my car to bring in my car. It is there now being taken care of. This is the drivers side airbag and not the passengers side too. That recall was made in May of this year and if my car had that problem is would already be made known, so no worries on my part of having to go thru this again in future! Hope yours all get fixed fast too. Maybe the hurry up is because I live in a hot humid area, where I've read is more likely to have it happen.? Arkansas.

Old 08-03-2016, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator
second case where i've heard of someone getting an airbag in one day. maybe there are less people turning in their cars now and building up a surplus of airbags.

people time to bring in your car!

Old 08-03-2016, 11:15 PM
It also depends on where you live... if you are in the High Absolute Humidity zone you will get your's fixed first and quickest

*Honda’s HAH zone is broader than the area originally identified by NHTSA and includes: Florida; Hawaii; Georgia; Alabama; Louisiana; Mississippi; Texas; South Carolina; California; North Carolina; Arkansas; Saipan; American Samoa; the U.S. Virgin Islands; and Puerto Rico.

Being in Michigan (not urgent zone) i have been in a loaner since May 2nd.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
nearly 6 months since getting on the list for replacement. talked to the dealer yesterday, they have no idea when a fit repacement will come in. september, january, no idea.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:20 PM
Sounds like we are in the same boat. Guess it's reassuring to be not in a HAH zone. Especially because I am going on 14 months waiting for the airbag for my mustang

Old 08-06-2016, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by dlivry7
nearly 6 months since getting on the list for replacement. talked to the dealer yesterday, they have no idea when a fit repacement will come in. september, january, no idea.
did u get a rental?

Quick Reply: Airbag Recall Roll Call!