2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Recall Roll Call!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
After about 4 months wait from receiving the Honda Recall Notice, airbag replacement is finally completed last Tuesday. Dealer took about 4 hours to complete the job.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kimi808
... Dealer took about 4 hours to complete the job.
Good to know. I was quoted 1 hour by a tech while scheduling my replacement. Now I can plan for the worst.

For those in or around Boston: Prime Honda scheduled me for a replacement without any issues. This is not an endorsement of the dealership, but might be indicative of their inventory.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
After not hearing anything from my local dealer in ages, I called them today to find out what their stock situation was (last time I called they had none available and no clue as to when they would see any). Service dept. person checked with parts- none on hand , but they could get them in by Wednesday- both driver and passenger! I can't get it in to them that early, so am taking it over next Weds. So it looks like if the dealer doesn't have stock on hand, they can now get them pretty quickly- at least in the SF Bay Area.

Old 10-29-2016, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tedmondsjr
Good to know. I was quoted 1 hour by a tech while scheduling my replacement. Now I can plan for the worst.

For those in or around Boston: Prime Honda scheduled me for a replacement without any issues. This is not an endorsement of the dealership, but might be indicative of their inventory.
90 minutes total to complete driver's airbag recall, oil/lube/filter, wheel rotation, and fixing a minor issue with a side skirt.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
Called American Honda (800-999-1009). Spoke to "Vanessa." I wanted to know about the Enterprise Rental Car that Hollywood of Honda is supposed to provide for me while my airbag work is being done. Specifically, I wanted to know who will pay for the rental and how this would be done. I don't want to have someone put charges on my credit card, and then be left in the position of having to chase down a reimbursement.

Vanessa said, "Well, have you contacted Enterprise?"

American Honda has worked aggressively to push responsibility onto everyone else. Dealer says contact Honda. Honda says contact dealer. The runaround.

I asked Vanessa if I could speak to a supervisor. Ten minutes on Hold. No supervisor available. But don't worry. Someone will contact you. When? When they are available.

I wonder if I am going to buy any more Hondas. They seem to be working at the same level as Mazda and Toyota. There is no longer a reason to pay a premium for their cars.
Seems like your dealer is putting you off. My service advisor was fairly new himself, but I suppose cared enough to tell me how the rental works. Once they put your vehicle in thru service, you get a service number or claim number. You bring this to the rental place and there are already arrangements between Honda America and whichever rental place to bill Honda America directly.

I don't think I even gave them my credit card information at all.

My service advisor did mess up and sent me to Enterprise first, who apparently is not doing loaners for the airbag recall now. So I would ask for another company. I ended up with Avis/Budget.

The only thing they have sent me a bill for is stupid EZpass tolls that didn't register...

Old 11-01-2016, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
Have mine scheduled for this saturday.

I am a little worried as I removed the front passenger seat and replaced with a bucket seat. I used a resistor to trick the seat into thinking it was still attached to the airbag as to not throw a code on the dash. Hopefully I don't get any comments as they are only replacing the steering wheel airbag.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Mr.Hollow
Have mine scheduled for this saturday.

I am a little worried as I removed the front passenger seat and replaced with a bucket seat. I used a resistor to trick the seat into thinking it was still attached to the airbag as to not throw a code on the dash. Hopefully I don't get any comments as they are only replacing the steering wheel airbag.
they dont even touch the airbag from what I heard. they go under and pop out the air canister and replace only that.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xxryu139xx
they dont even touch the airbag from what I heard. they go under and pop out the air canister and replace only that.
Air canister? I thought the issue was shrapnel being fired during inflation. Would the propellent gas have the shrapnel in it? hmmm.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:20 AM
5 Year Member
The gas used to provide the "explosion" gets stronger with repeated heat and humidity, so the canister does not survive the stronger blast. The shrapnel comes from the exploded canister...
Saw a report on this yesterday night on TV.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
Got back from the dealer. Took about 3.5 hours. No issues, no obvious signs that they took anything apart.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
Got tired of waiting for the call, so I called Rusty Wallis Honda in Dallas last Wednesday. Glad I did.

They were super nice, said the local warehouse was full of the parts and to pick a day I wanted to bring it in...they covered the rental (new HRV) for the day.

Brought it in at 7 and had it back by 1pm.

Could not have been easier.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Frenzal
The gas used to provide the "explosion" gets stronger with repeated heat and humidity, so the canister does not survive the stronger blast. The shrapnel comes from the exploded canister...
Saw a report on this yesterday night on TV.
yes what he said

Old 11-02-2016, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
My only complaint about the process (besides me having to call the dealer to schedule this- they should have called me....) was that they did a "Complimentary Multi-Point Inspection" (a $47.97 Value!(where did they come up with that number?)) and in the process "corrected" the tire pressures......I have mine set at 35psi. So dig the air pump out of the boot, add 2psi per tire back in....

Old 11-04-2016, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member
So I am now seeing things about the passenger airbag being recalled as well? Although it looks like it is region dependent and NJ is not on the list at the moment. Looks like I will be going back in in the future for that if it follows the pattern for the driver side.

Originally Posted by Codger01
My only complaint about the process (besides me having to call the dealer to schedule this- they should have called me....) was that they did a "Complimentary Multi-Point Inspection" (a $47.97 Value!(where did they come up with that number?)) and in the process "corrected" the tire pressures......I have mine set at 35psi. So dig the air pump out of the boot, add 2psi per tire back in....
Ha, my car would have an arm length list if they did that...

Old 11-05-2016, 06:21 PM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by x_25
So I am now seeing things about the passenger airbag being recalled as well? Although it looks like it is region dependent and NJ is not on the list at the moment. Looks like I will be going back in in the future for that if it follows the pattern for the driver side.
It depends on the car. If you run your VIN through Honda's recall-bu-lator, they will tell you if the passenger side airbag is subject to recall as well. For my Fit, the driver's side airbag was recalled but the passenger side airbag has not been (yet, anyway).

Old 11-06-2016, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
I first called the dealer in July after getting the recall notice. I was told at that point about 3 to 6 weeks for parts to arrive. Called again in August and was told still waiting on parts. Called mid October and asked about parts. I was then told that they had no record of my parts order. Said it would take 2 to 3 weeks for parts this time. At the end of third week parts arrived and I had work done the next day. All total about 5 1/2 months of this BS. Honda of Concord in North Carolina FYI.

Old 11-06-2016, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
NHTSA is publicly pushing Honda to do more to contact and schedule replacements of the airbags- they feel Honda has been too passive. Takata is looking for a buyer, and may be looking into bankruptcy.....

Old 11-06-2016, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
Took the car this saturday. My appointment was at 8am at Sierra Honda, they didn't start working on my car until after 10:30am. I know this because I walked up the street to get a coffee and walked by the "back" lot and they had my car blocked in by other customer cars. Walked by around 10:30 and the car hadn't moved. I asked the service attendant what was the status of my car and they said it would be ready in 30-40 minutes.

And by 11:07am the car was done. So why make me wait 3 hours for a 30 minute job. There were 3 other fits that came in for the recall.

Overall everything was put back together nicely, no sign of the install and they even put a bag over my new racing seat to avoid dirt.

So 8/10 overall. 9/10 if I had brought a book or headphones to watch a movie or something. Long time waiting. Bring a snack too.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
Had it done last summer. They didn't have the bag in stock so they gave me a rental...for two months!