2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side airbag off indicator came on after Takata recall fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 06:20 PM
Smile Side airbag off indicator came on after Takata recall fix

Hi, the first time here - I recently purchased a used 2012 Fit and the car is a beauty, but after the purchase, I immediately noticed about the Takata airbag recall, so I sent it to a Honda dealer and had it fixed - yes, already. I was told that the car won't be fixed until the end of summer, so imagine my surprise when they got it done in 2 weeks.

But anyway, they fixed it, and I actually got the car back just today, this afternoon.

However .. I noticed one thing. I was driving the car with my teenage son in passenger seat, and "side airbag off" indicator came on flashing in dashboard. It came on .. off .. came on .. off ... repeated that about six times and then eventually it turned off. He is 6' and an adult size boy, so I do not think it's the censor problem. I also did not have this problem before riding with him before I did the Takata airbag repair.

I called the dealer who did the airbag (the recall was for front driver's side airbag) and they told me to bring it back in, and I will, next Friday, which is the only time I can do so. But in the meanwhile I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same problem after the Takata fix.

Last edited by manatee; 05-14-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
Firstly, they weren't allowed to sell the vehicle until the airbag recall was done. So what they did was wrong and they could have been liable for it that is why it was fixed so "quickly."

Your issue may be a non-issue. If your teenage son was fidgety (or not sitting still on the passenger seat) the light will turn on and off. There is a weight sensor that is sensitive and activates that light on and off.

/welcome to the forum!

Old 05-14-2016, 06:34 PM
Thanks Ryu139 for a quick response. I actually bought the car from a different dealer, not the one who fixed the Takata airbag - so that's not it.

I swear my son was not fidgety - the light came on and off regardless of his movement (he was still). Plus this never happened before I took it for the Takata airbag repair.

I wonder if rain was anything to do with it. I was poking around the forum and it seems this is an issue with an earlier generation of Fit. It was raining outside when this happened - but not torrential or anything, just regular rain.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator
even a slight weight change like him lifting one butt off the seat slightly would set it off.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manatee
I wonder if rain was anything to do with it. I was poking around the forum and it seems this is an issue with an earlier generation of Fit. It was raining outside when this happened - but not torrential or anything, just regular rain.
Probably water intrusion. Ive never seen the side airbag light go on and off due to a passenger moving around.
My GD has the same issue, haven't been able to figure it out.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:12 AM
5 Year Member
Mine goes on/off if I sit my briefcase on the passenger seat (computer, papers, etc - has some weight to it) and every bump in the road will cause that light to go on/off the 25 miles to work ('11 Sport AT).

Old 05-24-2018, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spike55_bmw
Mine goes on/off if I sit my briefcase on the passenger seat (computer, papers, etc - has some weight to it) and every bump in the road will cause that light to go on/off the 25 miles to work ('11 Sport AT).
Normal.