2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Owner Changing Coolant in a 2012 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
Owner Changing Coolant in a 2012 Fit

My 2012 base fit has about 20,000 miles and I want to change the coolant. This may be premature but I plan on keeping this car for many years. I prefer to do this work myself because I don't trust dealer repair shops because of past issues. I have changed coolant in my vehicles before so I have experience. I am wondering if anyone here has done this themselves and have any suggestions or tips that might be helpful. One thing I have been unable to determine is the location of the engine coolant drain plug or plugs. I would add a cleaner to flush out the system before adding new coolant. If all of the coolant cannot be drained from the engine, then it is only a guess as to how much old coolant remains, making it difficult to know what strength new coolant to add. Also, what are your thoughts on using Honda coolant vs. Prestone. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
Don use a "cleaner", On these new all AL engines its the shortest way to internal corrosion. Just drain and refill with a good Asian car formula anti freeze, Probably the small up-tic in price makes the Honda coolant worth it. The engine only holds like 1 jug.. As long as your doing it nice and early you should not have anything to flush out..

If I buy non pre-mix I mix the coolant and water in a bucket then pour it into the engine, whatever doesn't fit goes into to jug for top offs if needed. 1 jug of concentrate makes 2 gallons of 50-50 mix coolant.. Typical system holds just over a gallon on a small car. I just use the jug to measure the water and pour it in the bucket with the coolant.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:32 PM
I just picked up my fit today, woooo us.

I plan on doing a drain and fill this weekend on my 2011 w/ 31k on the odo.

I'm also planning on doing the trans fluid too.

and the cabin and air filters.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kamonjj
I just picked up my fit today, woooo us.

I plan on doing a drain and fill this weekend on my 2011 w/ 31k on the odo.

I'm also planning on doing the trans fluid too.

and the cabin and air filters.
Did you just buy this used? I am curious why you would change the transmission fluid at only 31000 miles.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by mharnisch
Did you just buy this used? I am curious why you would change the transmission fluid at only 31000 miles.
Yes I bought it used.

I change the transmission fluid in all of my vehicles around 30k. Usually only 15k in manual transmissions. I do it because all vehicles shift best (in my opinion) with fresh fluid. Plus its good preventative maintenance, and easy to do. I do the same for my differentials too if my vehicles are so equipped.

Not to mention, changing it in a used car certainly wouldn't hurt. I cannot verify how hard or what conditions the previous owner drove.

I always flush the brake fluid in about 30k as well. I just don't have a new pressure bleeder yet but will be ordering it up this week. I haven't checked into speed bleeds for the fit yet but will eventually.

If anyone has a lead on some oem sport wheels, I'm interested. I'd like to have a dedicated set of summer and winter tires eventually. Living in the snow belt, its the best choice.