2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

considering 12/13' Fit Sport but...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 09:54 PM
Question considering 12/13' Fit Sport but...

hi, first post. here's my story...

i've been looking to replace my aging 2001 OUtback and originally had been looking hard at Tacomas and 4Runners but the cost in fuel, tires, and the vehicle itself, just isn't in my best interest at the moment (in a couple years, i'm hoping). so to do an almost complete 180, i started looking at sub-compacts like the FIesta, Versa, Yaris, etc. and read and researched and narrowed it down to the Fit Sport due to the supposed driveability, economy, and ability to carry a thing or two. it's still a downsize from the OUtback, but I won't completely lose the space (love those back seats!).

anyhow, i found one at a Honda dealership through a third-party website and stopped in for a look. of course, the only thing i could do was look since it was waiting for an airbag. they estimated mid-month (June) and promised to call when it got done. last weekend i checked another Fit Sport at an independent dealer. he was aware of the recall, but we went on a test drive anyway. i want to look at one more close by at a Toyota dealership and then go from there.

but, i'm wondering, if I purchase the car from a non-Honda dealer, can i roll into a Honda dealership and just drop it off and pickup a loaner??? is it that simple? i will be driving two kids around so i'll be interested in getting the airbag fixed. is a better bet to just cut loose of the Fit for now and look for something else? i'm not in a super rush to buy, but i do have a financing offer that i'm sitting on and gotta respond to within a couple weeks. if i pass on it, not the end of the world, though.

just looking for experiences on this recall thing and suggestions. thanks!

Old 06-05-2016, 10:41 PM
You'd best ask Honda, but I think the loaner program would apply to all owners, not just the original car purchaser, since it's part of the safety recall.

Personally, I am just driving the car until the parts are available for the recall. The rate of airbag problems relative to all the faulty airbag inflators is quite low, and it's a concern mainly if one is in a crash, which is also not an everyday occurrence. By and large, New England isn't a high humidity area, either, so the inflator chemicals are less likely to break down than in, say, Florida.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:44 PM
In Connecticut you may have a hard time convincing them to give you a loaner, but you can call Honda customer service and they generally force the dealer. From what I understand, however, you have to return every 30 days to swap out to a new loaner, and your car sits on the Honda lot until they get the parts in and repair done.

To be fair, I just bought a '12 Fit Sport without worrying about the recall, since there hasn't been a single incident across any of the manufacturer's/vehicles north of the Mason/Dixon line.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FirebladeFit
In Connecticut you may have a hard time convincing them to give you a loaner, but you can call Honda customer service and they generally force the dealer. From what I understand, however, you have to return every 30 days to swap out to a new loaner, and your car sits on the Honda lot until they get the parts in and repair done.

To be fair, I just bought a '12 Fit Sport without worrying about the recall, since there hasn't been a single incident across any of the manufacturer's/vehicles north of the Mason/Dixon line.
FYI: I'm in CT and asked my local dealer if they would give me a rental if I felt uncomfortable driving the fit. They said, sure, no problem. I did not pursue it but I got no indication whatsoever that it would a problem and the only question is one of rental car availability, but they that it would either happen the same day or within a few days of asking at the latest.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:37 PM
I want to sell my Fit. My airbag recall ia already done too!

Buy mine!

Old 06-07-2016, 09:21 PM
good to know. i really wish the first dealer would let me take that test drive since they're coming in lower than the others with a Honda certified warranty. i wouldn't care about letting the car sit in their lot but, alas, i will not buy a car that i haven't test driven.