2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Hatch Tailgate Lock Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 05:14 AM
Rear Hatch Tailgate Lock Assembly

Does anyone know how the close/open sensor on the tailgate lock assembly works? My car thinks the rear hatch is always open. So I took the lock assembly out and noticed there are 2 sets of wires clipped into the assembly. The smaller of the 2 wire plugs controls the lock/unlock. When it is unplugged, the car thinks the hatch is closed (the dash warning light goes off, the trunk light turns off, I can close the locks with my remote, etc). When the wire is plugged, all the opposite happens.

Obviously, I want to leave the wire plugged in and have the sensor function properly. I have not taken apart the assembly yet because it looks complicated (springs and bunch of other stuff) but Im wondering if this is user-serviceable or if I have to just replace the whole lock assembly.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
Looking at a diagram for 09-10 car...
White connector is for the light switch on the latch,
Green connector is for the power lock motor on the latch

With the hatch (tailgate) door wide open: Use a small screwdriver to flip the latch to the fully closed position, see if the warning light goes out.

IF the light on the dash goes out when you do this, then the tailgate isn't fully closing the latch when you shut the door, maybe due to the striker being out of position.
(Make sure to pull the handle so the latch opens again before you try to slam the tailgate shut or you can damage the latch.)

If the light did not go out, then I'd be looking at pulling the latch out to see how the switch is attached and if its lever is out of place or needs bent a little more....figure out why the switch isn't turning off when the latch is fully closed.

Since Honda wants you to buy a complete latch assembly, I'd sure be trying to figure something out before buying one.