2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Ride has gotten low over past year..

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 12:28 AM
Ride has gotten low over past year..

Hi all.. I'm driving an 1.3L honda fit bought in yr2009.. due to frequent long trips into malaysia with heavy loads.. i have noticed my car has lowered badly.. its riding low even though i have nothing in the boot.. can anyone advise me if i should change my absorbers for all 4 wheels or should I also change the springs? Planning to change it is malaysia where it will be cheaper but can anyone advise any good shop in Singapore where i can check out also?

I also welcome any other suggestions that can help with the ride (suspension, etc).. plan to renew my COE so worth keeping the car in good condition..

Thanks!!

Old 08-13-2016, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
Springs hold the car up shocks keep it fomr bouncing,,, (Simple answer) You need new springs not shocks but the shocks could be bad too..

Old 08-14-2016, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
My bet was on the shocks/struts. The springs are made of steel which is a very hard metal and usually they don't distort unless under heavy loads for very long periods of time.

I was thinking the shocks are probably blown so they are not expanding to the full height. But if its that noticeable of a drop in ride height then the two are not independent from each other. If the springs really decompressed that much then your struts/shocks are most definitely blown also.

I would purchase new springs/shocks all around. Perhaps maybe an oem upgrade. I don't know how easy it is to get parts in singapore but Swift springs are very strong and Koni shocks are an oem replacement but of a higher quality. Look into it.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
Springs hold the car up shocks keep it fomr bouncing,,, (Simple answer) You need new springs not shocks but the shocks could be bad too..

Old 08-14-2016, 05:34 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, get new springs. if dampers were blown u would be hopping all over da place.

but not a bad idea just to replace the dampers too while ure at it.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
this is true... but the shocks and struts do contribute some, try compressing with your hands the strut or shock to its normal state vs an old shock. The amount of force to do is really high... i get really tired compressing just 1 shock small enough to install on a car sitting at its normal ride height... and iam not a weak person, I would consider myself far above average in both strength and stamina.

But the old shock was just dead... it wouldn't even extend after it has been compressed.