2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

MT clutch longevity

Old 08-13-2016, 03:43 PM
MT clutch longevity

I'm shopping for a 2nd gen sport model, probably 2012 or 2013. I used to drive a manual transmission 1993 4Runner and really liked it, but I never achieved a high level of skill in shifting. Going up the gears was usually smooth, but downshifting was always a little jerky. I couldn't get the right amount of gas to match the revs. Never was able to do the heel toe thing either.

That was fine in a old truck which could take the abuse, but how "delicate" are Fits in comparison? My budget is around $12,000 before taxes and fees, so I'm thinking I could probably find something in the 60,000 mile range. At this point is the clutch just getting broken in, or would I be looking at potential clutch replacement before 100,000 miles?

A new clutch is pretty pricey, correct?

Old 08-13-2016, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
I've got a 2009 with the original clutch at about 140k miles. As I'm sure everyone on here will tell you, and you probably already know clutch longevity is highly dependent on how you treat it. I've seen others on here post that their clutch went to about 180k. I've heard that to have honda replace the clutch, your looking at about 1500 bucks, to do it yourself is probably 200-400.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
The MT in a Honda is way smoother than a truck, heal and toe is for the track (And most drivers dont use it any more.) Brakes are for stopping transmissions are for going.. Really not recommended but its possible to shift most car transmissions from top gear to second just by pushing in the clutch,, bad things happen if you release the clutch in second while doing highway speeds.. Locked up wheels and potential internal engine parts becoming external engine parts accompanied by emptying wallet...

My 1995 BMW 318 has 260K on the original clutch and I treat it badly a lot.. its my commuter battle wagon... My fit is an auto and well see how that holds up..

Cheers

Old 08-14-2016, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
I'm at 154k on my '09 Sport MT. I'm pretty easy on the clutch, though, and there aren't many hills in the NYC area where I do most of my driving. I'm hoping to get to 200k with the original clutch, and then I'll sell the car.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
160K miles in my 09 Sport MT and is still going.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:01 PM
Hmmm, well that changes things. I was thinking it would be tough to get more than 100k out of one. Don't know where I got that idea...

As far as test driving them, is there any way I can tell if the clutch ha been driven hard in the past?

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 08-14-2016, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
Two suggestions:

1) Look under the hood at the clutch fluid container (top right corner, near brake fluid) and see if the level is near max or low. If it's on the low end it could indicate the clutch plates being worn out. Theoretically if it's near halfway between max and low, the clutch is half worn out. However if it's on the max, but the car has lots of miles it means it was topped off, so not very helpful anymore.

2) During the test drive, get into 4th or 5th gear at a RPM of 2,000, then floor the gas pedal. If the clutch is worn out, there will be some slippage and you should see the RPM's going high faster than the car's speed and then the RPM will come down to match the speed. So from 2,000 the RPM's will jump to 4-5,000 for a few seconds but then go down to 3,000 without you changing any gears. If the clutch is good, the RPM's will slowly climb in direct relationship with the speed. Try this one a few times during the test drive to get a better feel for it.

I've heard a new clutch will be around $1,000 at independent mechanics. Dealer will charge more guaranteed. Still a much much cheaper than auto transmissions, which need more fluid changes and will cost you 2-3 time more to fix.

Last edited by Andrei_ierdnA; 08-14-2016 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:08 AM
Thanks for those suggestions. Now I just need to find one to test drive to see how the gearing feels. A little worried I won't like the high rpm on the highway - hopefully that's not a deal breaker because I'd really like to get back into a stick shift.

Good point about the AT fluid changes. That's easily another few hundred bucks spent on an AT before an MT is even approaching a clutch replacement (if ever...)

Old 08-15-2016, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Many newer manual transmissions need fluid changes that make ATF look cheap as river water.

Dodge and Chevy had versions of the NV4500 tranny that require Unicorn and baby seal blood at the cost of 25 bucks per qt, and if you use ANYTHING else you will destroy the transmission.

Its a good item to check before you buy, what is the spec fluid, and how much does it cost.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
your transmission will die before your clutch will go bad.. atleast mine did... when i took out my transmission and looked at my clutch it was still brand new looking, i went ahead and changed the clutch anyways while i was at it because I was expecting it was going to atleast have some wear after 75k miles.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
Many newer manual transmissions need fluid changes that make ATF look cheap as river water.

Dodge and Chevy had versions of the NV4500 tranny that require Unicorn and baby seal blood at the cost of 25 bucks per qt, and if you use ANYTHING else you will destroy the transmission.

Its a good item to check before you buy, what is the spec fluid, and how much does it cost.
Please produce some evidence that manual transmissions and/or fluids make autos cheap as river water. I find it hard to believe.

Comparing Dodge and Chevy crapability to Honda reliability doesn't mean much...

Also the Honda fluid is cheap and for manual you need less than 1.5 quarts (litres) every 60 K miles while the automatic needs less than 3 quarts at every 30 K miles, unless all you drive is highway.

So the auto will need fluid changes twice as often using twice as much fluid, or else shell out a few grand. Sounds like a good deal indeed.

Last edited by Andrei_ierdnA; 08-15-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:35 PM
It may be costly to change a clutch but i believe it is a wear item, I have also heard many Hondas don't have the strongest of automatic transmissions.

In the long run it probably evens out or is actually more cost effective when you compare a clutch replacement to regular ATF fluid changes, which if not changed seriously reduces the lifespan of the unit

Old 08-20-2016, 06:06 PM
Clutch life very much depends on usage (as in how rough the driver is on the clutch) and on driving conditions. A clutch will last essentially forever when your driving consists of going down the interstate in fifth gear for miles and miles at a time. It will not last quite so long in city stop-and-go driving, for rather obvious reasons—it gets used a lot more.

I've owned three manual transmission vehicles, and never replaced a clutch. The first one I took to the junk yard when it was all worn out at 230,000 miles. (I think maybe my uncle, who had the car before I got it at 180,000 miles, may have replaced the clutch once, but I'm not sure.) The second was on its original clutch (I assume, since I got it at just under 30,000 miles) when it was totaled in a crash at well over 100,000 miles; I don't remember the exact milage at the moment. My Fit has ca. 85,000 miles on the original clutch and it's working as well as the day it was new.

The Fit is a pretty easy manual transmission car to drive; the shifter has a better/more positive feel than many. The rev hang does take a bit of getting used to in terms of timing the gas and the clutch properly for smooth shifts. You may find yourself wanting to upshift when you're already in fifth gear from time to time, though.