2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Wiper blades that don't suck

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
Wiper blades that don't suck

A few months ago I switched out my front wiper blades for a very expensive set of Bosch Icons. These use a curved beam design instead of a double-pivoting frame (OEMs). From Day 1, the huge 28" driver side blade chattered and jerked like hell. It did wipe clean, but annoying as crap. The pass side is smooth.

Other than going back to Honda blades, what brands/fitment work without this issue on the Fit? The sheer length of the drivers blade makes it extremely susceptible to jerking if there is any free play in the attachment point. The beam style does not play nice with my Fit! 😠

Old 08-31-2016, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
If you still have the original blades (and the wires for the inserts), you can buy just the rubber inserts for them pretty dang cheap at a dealership (if they don't mark up way beyond MSRP).

Old 09-01-2016, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
No, I tossed them when I tried these. The OEM's were getting worn and showing oxidation, but never chattered or jerked like these new beam type blades. 28" is simply too long a blade for a beam style to run smoothly. The lower edge seems to drag and make it do it. Oh well, there goes about $50 in the trash 💸

Old 09-01-2016, 08:41 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
I only run oem when I can.

One can minimize chattering by applying sealant to the glass.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
Kenchan, what sealant do you use? Like Rain-x?

Old 09-02-2016, 12:19 AM
I had to replace my OE wipers because of sun fade too.

I went with beam style blades and they do a great job; wipe clean and smooth.

NAPA Driver's Side NPB28 and Passenger side NPB14
Stands for NAPA Pro Beam - a blue sleeve.

They also had the OE looking hybrid blade for the Driver's Side 60-028-HB

Old 09-02-2016, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Replacing the Bosch Icon beam blades with Rain X Weather Beater frame blades. Half the cost. Huge drivers blade just has too much flex not being supported at multiple points like frame types. Already got the 14" pass blade, driver side 28" coming soon via Amazon.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
I changed the insert on the Fit's rear wiper this afternoon. It had an OEM insert in it which was about 2 yrs old, normal Florida weather. Removal is simple, gently rotate the arm away gently and it pulls off easily. Unfortunately the rubber was in pretty bad shape, getting black rubber stuff smeared all over while taking it apart. Getting the insert out is a bit fiddly, but not bad. I replaced it with a 14" Rain X Weather Beater rubber insert pulled from a new arm ass'y ($10 Amazon). A bit of a challenge to get it started into the "claws" of the Fit's rear arm mainly due to the insert's having a "keyed" end in the rubber and spline rails. Just take your time, it'll go in with some force needed to push/wiggle it through. Fits and wipes just as well as an OEM one once in.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:22 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gkitf16
Kenchan, what sealant do you use? Like Rain-x?
no, polymer sealant for paint. i use prima hydro and hydro-max these days on my glass.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
so a trick I use:

1) clean windshield with glass cleaner - I personally like stoner's spray
2) use claybar with water - yes same claybar used in detailing
3) clean windshield again with glass cleaner, dry throughly
4) apply your favorite wax, allow to haze and then buff in straight lines (usually up and down)

this removes unseen bump and adds beading element for a long time. I usually do this process every 3 months

Old 09-12-2016, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
I too tried the Bosch Icons and they were pretty bad. I didn't have the OEM housing, but tried the blades below. I've had them for ~6 months and they have been really good. Would highly recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 09-13-2016, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
Oem is what I run, $7-8 out the doors and they work as good or better than any Bosch I have bought. Waxing the Windshield is a huge plus, as previously mentioned.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
i tried bosch on a previous vehicle, liked them, but didn't think they were worth the ridiculous cost.
have stuck with the oem replacement rubber on the fit. like cman9toes said, 7 bucks once a year

Old 09-29-2016, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
I have given up on aftermarket blades for all our cars and trucks, no matter how fancy. Dealer inserts are not that expensive. OE type inserts are sometimes available from Trico at auto parts stores.

Waxing or using Rain-X causes me nothing but trouble. It gets foggy here much of the time and with Rain-X I had to run the wipers all the time. Clean, clean, clean the windshield. Clay bar sounds like a good idea to try. GM used to recommend Bon-Ami.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
You can order the inserts pretty cheaply from Bernardi Honda. Last time I ordered the entire wiper blades since the sun does a number on the plastic after a few years.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Punisher11
so a trick I use:

1) clean windshield with glass cleaner - I personally like stoner's spray
2) use claybar with water - yes same claybar used in detailing
3) clean windshield again with glass cleaner, dry throughly
4) apply your favorite wax, allow to haze and then buff in straight lines (usually up and down)

this removes unseen bump and adds beading element for a long time. I usually do this process every 3 months
Excellent method, makes a lot of sense, basically super-polishing the glass smooth then protecting with a coat of wax. Will try it out!

Old 09-30-2016, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
I got the Rain-X blades on Amazon and put them on, no more chattering/jerking. I'm also going to polish the windshield as suggested by Punisher11, a great added step!

Old 09-30-2016, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
I'm on the OEM bandwagon. on my 2009 Fit Sport, I'm about to install my 2nd set of replacement Blade Inserts. I'd say find a Junkyard and get a set of OEM blades and some new wiper inserts from the dealer.

Between replacing the inserts about every 3.5 years at about $12 total for the front and applying a nice coating of Rain-X twice per year, (and usually I use Rain-X washer fluid) it's the cheapest and by far the best solution I've ever had. I've used the Bosch, Anco, Rain-X, etc... blades on my other vehicles and while some have cleared the water marginally better, they've also cost 4x the amount and none of them have ever lasted me 3.5-4 years including -25 degree winters. And especially not at that price.

The blades at the junkyard are likely only a few dollars and for new refills, you'd still be a lot less than "name-brand" wipers.

~SB

Old 10-01-2016, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gkitf16
No, I tossed them when I tried these. The OEM's were getting worn and showing oxidation, but never chattered or jerked like these new beam type blades. 28" is simply too long a blade for a beam style to run smoothly. The lower edge seems to drag and make it do it. Oh well, there goes about $50 in the trash 💸
i did the same thing brah.. worst decision of my life

Old 10-06-2016, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
Ive had the cheap Michelline ones from Costco. In Canada they were under $15 each after tax. Ive had the 28in and 14in on the front for 1 year thru Canadian winter and they are still workin well. No chatter at all. The rear wiper is stupid and cant be replaced completely, at least not with Costco wipers, need to find the rubber blade insert...maybe will check @ dealer.

Quick Reply: Wiper blades that don't suck