2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

New all-season tires before the winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 10:44 PM
New all-season tires before the winter

I'm looking to replace the not-so-great tires that came with my used Fit. I purchased it used about two weeks ago. It's a 2012 Sport with 94k miles.

Context:

I live in the Northeast. That means snow. So I'm after a tire that can handle the weather come January.

Here are the three tires I've been looking at (and perhaps unfounded concerns about them):

-Michelin Premier A/S

Concerns: This tire's brand new, so it has fewer reviews. And while the bulk of the reviews I've seen have been great for everyday driving, a few have noted that it doesn't fare too well in winter due to its tread-wear technology.

-Continental ExtremeContact DWS or DWS 06

Concerns: Everything I've read here about the Continentals is glowing, but purchasing them also requires a wider tire (based on what I've been able to find on TireRack), which seems to mean worse handling in the snow (though I could be wrong).

Yokohama Avid Ascend

Concerns: Again, mostly good things are said about this tire. But the previous two models appear to have the upper hand when it comes to tire websites' rankings.

Of those here who own one of these models, how do they fare in the winter?

Thanks for the help!

Old 10-24-2016, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
I have recently acquired a set of the DWS 06 (205/50/16), but the rains are just starting here in No. California, so I can speak about how they are in the wet. No snow where I am either (SF Bay Area) so I would not be able to help there..... but my brother in law (Ohio) has the same tires and he says they are great in the snow, even with the wider width. (He has a 2010 Fit Sport, mine is a 2009)) Not as good as a set of dedicated snow tires would be, but he doesn't get enough snow to require that.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:07 AM
I highly recommend Michelin pilot sport AS3 plus. It's pretty much the best all around performance-wise .They're expensive but I would never skimp on tires.

I got them in a different size though because stock sizes have very limited choices, I'll have to look up what I upgraded to but it's a bit wider and taller. You can fit a slightly bigger tire on your stock rims.

Last edited by TheFitBit; 10-25-2016 at 02:25 AM.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:31 PM
I have the Continental Extreme Contact DWS on my 2011 Fit. I have put 55,000 miles on these tires and there is more life left on them, the DWS are all still visible in the tread. The tires still perform beautifully. In the rain; they are 2nd to none, the best tires I have ever owned in 25 years of driving. Can't speak to snow performance but I would think they would be decent enough, unless you live in Buffalo or some heavy snowfall place

Old 10-30-2016, 02:24 PM
The Michelin Defender works well on my 2016 FIT.

Old 10-30-2016, 02:29 PM
I was very happy with the Yokohamas on my 2010 Fit Sport.

They're not snow tires but they seemed pretty good. Also quieter than the stock Dunlops and 3% better mileage.

I put about 40k miles on them before I sold the car and they looked great when I sold the car. So I'd expect them to last a really long time.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
I had put the Continental Extreme Contact DWS on my 2009 Fit Sport last August, replacing the Dunlops the car came with. I went up in size to a 205 width, keeping the overall diameter the same. These greater width tires, being heavier than the 185's did cost me 2 MPG average in my normal travel loops, with almost no impact on interstate travel where you are not constantly speeding up and slowing down. Fantastic tire in the dry, excellent in the wet, and pretty decent in light snow and ice. If heavy snow were forecast, I take the 4WD truck.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the help everybody. I decided to go with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 in 205/50/16. They were installed today, and feel much better than the worn Dunlops that came with the car. I'm excited to see how they handle the New England winter.

Old 10-31-2016, 05:33 AM
5 Year Member
Yokohama Avid Asced.

We have had them on a 2009 and a 2011 FIT. We live in the snow belt and my daughter drives to work every day in Michigan during snow season.

They are not snow tires, but we have never had to go get her because she is stuck somewhere.

You obviously are not going to drive in snow higher than the clearance of the bottom of the car. 6" or 8" is about it. So if you are driving on plowed snow packed roads they are great.

This is not her Fit but it is a random car going down the road in front of our house two winters ago.

Snow -

Page forward and backward using the arrows on the picture if you want to see a few more snow pictures.