2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS on 8 wheels options '09 fit

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 03:39 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
TPMS on 8 wheels options '09 fit

I have 09 honda fit sport with two sets of wheels. I use one set in the summer and another in the winter. All wheels have tpms that are 7+ years old.
I used to just ignore the tire pressure system warning light as it was not programmed on one of the sets. I had to replace the valve with tpms on one of the original wheel - now the tpms does not work on any of the sets.

I want have tpms working on both of the sets and be able to reprogram them myself twice a year.
I am considering buying eight new tpms and look into an option of being able to reprogram them myself.

Can anyone please share knowledge and experience with TPMS. Which tpms to buy and how hard it is to reprogram. I have seen some tpms at appealing prices on ebay. Do i need to have a tpms id scan tool or i can just scan the tpm once and use some sort of id?

Old 12-09-2016, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
i despise tpms because i also have to sets of rims/tires like you. i laughed at the dealership when they told me what they wanted to reprogram them each time

found the local costco shop manager will do it for free, takes all of 15 seconds or so. your local costco may or may not do it.

have not found anything online i feel confident will actually program both sets....maybe they will though ?

Old 12-09-2016, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
Got four Orange clone TPMSs for my snow tires before last winter. Love them. Shop I bought them from made them clones of my summer tire TPMSs. $200 for parts and $100 for installation (including remounting and balancing of my winter tires). Cloning took all of 2 minutes, probably a lot less time if I had not asked a lot of questions. My guess is the sensors are reasonably priced but programming unit is outrageous. Whatever your solution, I highly recommend TPMSs in winter tires on a Fit.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
so i need to find a shop that can program "orange brand" tpms sensors ?

will look into it. still annoys me, i need 16 of them

Last edited by dlivry7; 12-12-2016 at 12:56 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dlivry7
so i need to find a shop that can program "orange brand" tpms sensors ?
That's pretty much how I did it: just called around to tire shops looking for someone to sell me what I wanted. The phrase I kept seeing was "cloneable TPM sensors". There are several brands to choose from. After a little digging I believe mine are part # TPM106A by Standard Brand (a name so generic that caution might be warranted). Invoice for mine says they were $59 per sensor. Here's a link to their TPMS page:
http://www.standardbrand.com/en/tpms/about/

will look into it. still annoys me, i need 8 of theme
It annoyed me to no end that my 2012 Sport would not acknowledge more than 4 unique TPM sensors. Now I have the 4 OEM sensors on my summer wheels and the 4 cloned sensors on my winter wheels. No complaints so far, though I've only used them for one Boston winter (Thanksgiving until April 2nd).

Old 12-12-2016, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member
i looked online a little this morning, really can't see myself spending 400-800 bucks on "valve stems" lol
going to have to get serious about the sensors in pvc trick

Old 01-02-2017, 02:03 AM
Pretty much any tire shop should be able to do what you're trying to do. Pretty regularly sensors stems will break and all they do to fix it is copy the info off of the broken sensor and write it onto a new blank one (in most cases you can't just replace the stem on the older ones). Shrader is the OEM for most TPM's, they also sell blank ones to shops for repairs. Basically all the shop has to do is copy the information from your four sensors that are currently programmed to the car and write the info to your new blank ones; the car doesn't know the difference between each set so no programming is required there. I used to use the Orange brand ones, they were kind of the front runners when TPMs started becoming popular, but at this time the OE replacements are the way to go.

BTW TPMs are supposed to have a battery life of about 10 years.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member
I have a summer and winter set of wheels and use an ATEQ Quickset to reprogram the ECU when I swap them out. I think I paid about $120 for the device, and it has worked great for me since I swap the wheels myself. I did have to use the device to read the factory wheel TPMS IDs from the ECU initially - saved those to the summer wheel setting. I manually entered the winter wheel IDs into the Windows application and loaded those to the Quickset via USB. You can change any of the individual TPMS IDs in the software and update the Quickset as needed. It plugs into the OBD-II port of the car. It was worth it to me as a DIY-er to maintain the full functionality of ESC, avoid the TPMS light, and to not rely on a shop to reprogram each time.