2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross country in a Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
Cross country in a Fit?

Contemplating a cross-country (2500 mi) trek in a 2013 Honda Fit Sport with 55k miles on her:

Any thing I need to be aware of, aside from obvious:
Tires are new (Michelin)
Coolant flush & fill
Brakes are new
Oil change (Mobil 1)

Old 12-24-2016, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
Might want to think about transmission fluid, especially if it's an automatic and if it's never been changed. Check pressure in your spare, just to be sure it's at the ready if you need it. Have fun!

Old 12-24-2016, 02:58 PM
You're already doing more than I generally do before a cross country trip. I do check that my tires are OK and up to pressure, and generally keep tabs on the mechanical health of the car for everyday use, but that's about the extent of things for a long trip. For one thing, it always seemed to me that a long road trip is really nothing more than a bunch of short road trips strung together end-to-end, and if the car is good for a short road trip, then that's all one really needs. If my car isn't good to go for a short trip at most any time, then I need to think about repairing or replacing it.

You might want to replace your wiper blades if they are not cleaning effectively. Obviously fill up the washer fluid before you leave; this time of year, as you know, you might hardly get out of New Hampshire before using up the reservoir's capacity if conditions are just right (or just wrong).

Old 12-24-2016, 11:58 PM
You'll be fine. I've done two trips in an auto fit. 4000 miles or so. It had about 80k on it.

I'd probably carry extra oil, air pump with plugs and jumper cables.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alco RS-1
Might want to think about transmission fluid, especially if it's an automatic and if it's never been changed. Check pressure in your spare, just to be sure it's at the ready if you need it. Have fun!
Already done.. Had a full flush and transmission service - Check!

Originally Posted by DrewE
You're already doing more than I generally do before a cross country trip. I do check that my tires are OK and up to pressure, and generally keep tabs on the mechanical health of the car for everyday use, but that's about the extent of things for a long trip. For one thing, it always seemed to me that a long road trip is really nothing more than a bunch of short road trips strung together end-to-end, and if the car is good for a short road trip, then that's all one really needs. If my car isn't good to go for a short trip at most any time, then I need to think about repairing or replacing it.

You might want to replace your wiper blades if they are not cleaning effectively. Obviously fill up the washer fluid before you leave; this time of year, as you know, you might hardly get out of New Hampshire before using up the reservoir's capacity if conditions are just right (or just wrong).
Right! We're looking in March / April... but still good idea on the wipers and fluid.

Originally Posted by Boostedtaco
You'll be fine. I've done two trips in an auto fit. 4000 miles or so. It had about 80k on it.

I'd probably carry extra oil, air pump with plugs and jumper cables.
Good idea, I have a quick-start pack, I use with my auto-detailing business just in case my interior person leaves a light on or something. I'll have that with me. But great, I didn't think of that... I like the air pump idea too, maybe a can if fix-a-flat too! And a first aid kit.

Cheese-n-crackers, I've driven cross country many times... once way back in the day from Boston to Montana in a 89 LX 5.0 Mustang... I had the shirt on my back, a few Jude Cole CD's and lol.... Gettin' old!

Old 12-27-2016, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
If you don't have one already: Starbucks finder app on the phone. Cross country drives can get boring.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
Good one there Alco: yes, definitely always check and fill the spare tire. It is amazing how people ignore the spare. Also:

1. a roll of duct tape in case a hose or something else gives way. It will get you to a mechanic instead of being stranded by the side of the highway
2. windshield covers to block out the sun so you can take a nap during the day. Also: bring a pillow for aforementioned naps.
3. go to Walmart and buy the wipe new for headlights. Get those headlights nice and clear before doing lots of night driving.
4. Definitely check the wipers for splits/tears.
5. Lots of Circle K 89cent drinks with caffeine to keep you alert.
6. Think about a dash camera to capture any 8-ball out there who does your car harm.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
I did it. Fit had just over 100k when we left. Loaded everything I own in it and took off. She handled wonderfully. All I did before I left was change the oil and kick the tires. Not a worry.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
It's been over two years since I started this thread so I figured I'd update it. We moved from NH to AZ, and did 2700 miles in our little red Fit. Me, the Mrs, and our retired racing greyhound "Khaki" in the back. The trip was fantastic and quite an adventure. We took our time and made sure to see the sites and meet with friends that lived in various parts of the country. Our greyhound slept quietly while the car was moving but as soon as we stopped she was up wondering where she was on the next leg of the adventure.

Two years later, two AZ summers, the Fit is still running and looking great and now has nearly 90K on her. Nothing but synthetic from day one. Our Grey Khaki is now 8 and has a 4 year old brother named Jax. He's a 70lb male retired racer... We adopted him about 8 months after we moved here. And we bought a house..

This weekend we'll detail the Fit, I need to do a full paint correction and another layer of CQuartz UK Ceramic Coating to keep it looking new. She's ready for some new Mich tires. It's a great little dog-car and the Greyhounds love it, we bought it for the dogs...

Back in 2011 We adopted our first grey Lizzy, then another brindle ex-racer female grey named Dreamer in 2012. Sadly through the years, as you know the faces of the pack change, but the pack remains strong, as does the Honda Fit to transport the pack. Now it's Khaki and Jax. Back in 2012 we knew we needed a car that could fit this growing pack, especially dogs that stand nearly 3 feet tall, and are nearly 3 feet long! And do not sit like regular dogs. Magic seats are a GOD send! The Honda fit was just the right car... Easy for them to jump into, and plenty of head room and they love sticking their heads out the window.

So we're here, we made it.. had a great trip... There were some scary moments.... An Escalade would have been better... but we rung with what we brung… A Honda Fit!

Thanks everyone, sorry for taking so long to update this thread.

Last edited by paul_g; 02-16-2019 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
Done it four times; remember wiper blades

Our 2009 has gone from Louisiana to San Francisco and back once, and to Montreal and back three times.

One tip: change out the wiper blades or carry spares. The blades are much cheaper from the dealer than buying aftermarket assemblies at car parts stores, and they're aerodynamically designed for the FIt's cowling and windshield.

The OEM blades have a tendency to shear off and leave that portion of glass uncleared. I buy mine online from one of the various Honda wholesale parts sellers.

Our 2009 has over 200,000 miles now, but still fit for service on long road trips (if you pardon the pun). The only aftermarket item I have added is a $9 3.5"mm-to-Bluetooth adapter and a flat cable with a 90-degree plug to allow us to play smartphones without requiring a wired connection.

Last edited by wistlo; 02-17-2019 at 03:12 PM.