2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Leaking water into backseats of car

Old 01-25-2017, 01:19 PM
Leaking water into backseats of car

Hi all- I know there have been many posts on this already over the years. I thought I would post my own thread though. I have a 2008 base model fit, and noticed in the past couple weeks, a severe leak. I'm talking puddles in my back seat. I've read through the various discussions but I'm honestly super overwhelmed. It seems that the folks that go to the dealership don't often have any luck. And I did see the DIY posts about taking the door apart and taping areas where potential water is getting in. To be frank, I really don't have the means to take apart my doors and figure out where the leak is coming from. I have had a mostly negative experiences with my dealership where I live. I am thinking about going to my regular mechanic but am thinking they will tell me it's a dealership issue. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what I should do to get this fixed? I really am not comfortable trying to do it myself. I also have a roof rack that has been on the car since 2012, but I never noticed the leaking until this year. But maybe that could be contributing to water getting in. Anyone have any advice? Am super frustrated/stressed!!

Thanks in advance,

Donna
​​​​​​

Old 01-25-2017, 01:21 PM
Let me clarify- puddles are on the floor of both back seats, driver side and passenger side. As well as underneath the trunk where my spare tire is. I think that possibly my front passenger seat floor is wet too but not as bad.
​​​​​​Thanks

Old 01-29-2017, 06:17 AM
5 Year Member
To have water everywhere seems to be the result of a catastrophic event. Any wrecks?

Without me looking at mine (still dark out) you'll have to determine if water getting in at one spot can move to others because the floor pan is flat or has channels that will allow it to move from one spot to another.

Water travels downhill so find where it is deepest and look at the door seals, windows, radio antenna, outside mirrors - and penetrations through the body.

Also look at the drains on the doors. Did you have the doors apart? Water routinely comes in past the roll-up / down windows. There is usually a plastic sheet inside the door that directs that water down to the bottom where it can drain out. This all happens external to the rubber door seal.

Good luck

Old 01-29-2017, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Dsardone
Let me clarify- puddles are on the floor of both back seats, driver side and passenger side. As well as underneath the trunk where my spare tire is.
Mine is doing this exact same thing. The spare tire well and the back seat floor are definitely separated. I believe left/right rear floor wells are connected under the center hump. Just cannot see it because of the padding and carpet. So if a leak on one side only it will distribute equally to both sides after sitting long enough for water to saturate.

However in my case this leak is due to recent body work. Car was dry as a bone for 6 years but immediately after rear quarter panel and rear gate replacement it has leaked. Car is going back to the body shop in a couple weeks to fix this so I will ask them after what the cause was and possibly might apply to your vehicle. At least it will give you a starting point to check.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:11 AM
5 Year Member
i periodically check my trunk to make sure nothing's ever wet . standing water can do a lot of damage . my last Honda had water in
the spare tire well , which i was unaware of , for almost two years . it started a rust situation that i couldn't stop , short of cutting it out and welding
new sheet metal in there . was right over the rear cross member and eventually ate through

Old 06-23-2021, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
Your leak is most likely coming from the antenna. I replaced mines with an eBay shark fin cover with extra double sided tape!