2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Own a GD with issues, is trading for a GE the answer?

Old 02-15-2017, 12:29 PM
Own a GD with issues, is trading for a GE the answer?

Hey guys, I own a 2007 Fit Sport manual that I bought with nearly 100k on the clock in 2014. It has given me very little trouble until this year but like they say, when it rains, it pours (literally in this case).

Three issues.

1) The car consumes a lot of oil, I mean like a quart in 500 miles. There are no oil drips and no blue smoke. I have always done my own oil changes at recommended intervals since buying the car. I am going to swap the PCV valve this week to see if that fixes it but I am not optimistic. Anything else I should check after PCV or safe to assume something is seriously wrong with motor?

2) The transmission has developed the (apparently common) dying input shaft bearing noise. It sounds very rough but has not left me stranded yet. Was the transmission improved at all on the GE or is this a GE issue as well? I can honestly say I am not easy on the trans/car in general. I want a manual Fit because it loves to rev and the gearbox/chassis/suspension are great. Lets me haul stuff to work but just as fun to throw into a corner as my Evo IX. I don't want to have to worry about the trans in GE going because I like to rev match downshift and so on.

3) Water leak! On several occasions I found the carpet behind the driver's seat soaked. Also water in spare tire area. After a search, I discovered the faulty door design theory. So I took off the panels and used aluminum tape to close the problem holes and reattach the plastic liner. I am not convinced this fixed it totally. Carpet is still damp sometimes, just not as much. I read that someone removed the door panels on a 2013 GE and there was no plastic film at all. Has anyone with a 2013 GE had water leak into the interior?

Oh and one more question. The fabric on the GD seats is like a magnet for dog fur. The GE has very different fabric. Any GE owners with dogs have an opinion on the fabric vs GD fabric?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Old 02-15-2017, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
They drive very similarly. I wouldn't replace a GD with the GE (ignoring that I did just that, but if you don't want to ignore that, I regret the decision).

None of the problems you have would be solved with going to a GE, other than maybe the oil issue...but then you'd have to dump the GD & either lie about the oil burning or sell it for peanuts.

Also, GD fabric > GE.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
As a dog owner (white haired Staffordshire terrier and tan boxer) I can tell you the GE seat upholstery is a dog hair/lint/anything magnet. You see a lot of people upgrade to clazzio seat covers because they are leather to avoid this...or just deal with the hair clean up. The GE seat fabric is like a fancy "fish net" type material...super sexy (insert sarcasm). The thought is nice, it just traps ANYTHING. Basically dog hairs just weave into the netting like splinters into skin in any direction and you gotta get a lint roller or automotive detail static brush to get it out.

I thought that the GE has a completely different engine/trans than the GE and havent really read much on the manual trans having issues and in the 1.5 years/20k miles of owning my 2013 sport MT, I havent had any issues. Now I dont rev match (leave that to my motorcycle) so I guess you could say I'm "gentle" on my trans compared to you lol.

I do know that my buddy who drives a GD has changed the clutch/input shaft bearing on his GD recently but he has nearly 200k miles on his GD.

No water intrusion to attest to, even with all the rain we've been getting lately here in SoCal.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
I've the GD auto and manual and just got the GE. GD fabric holds up more against wear and dog hair. I think a lot of honda's had the input bearing noise and isn't a big deal. GE gets a deal/rest pedal, more cup holders, telescoping steering wheel.

My GE didn't have any of the issues you mentioned, just coil replacement, 200k and going *knock on wood*.