2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Washer question

Old 02-27-2017, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
Question Washer question

my drivers side is not spraying i took it apart and blew through the hose the washer reserve starting bubbling like blowing through a straw is that normal or did the drivers side hose come off the pump?when i blow twords the washer nozzel i get nothing just solid no air comming out of nozzel is that normal as well?

Old 02-27-2017, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
My driver-side nozzle was being interfered with by a piece of floating dirt. It would just bubble out (no nice spray pattern). After disconnecting the tubing at the reservoir, I used compressed air to back-flush from the nozzle towards the reservoir. The nozzle started working again for a little while but soon plugged up again.

I eventually took off the wiper blades and all of the plastic to expose all of the washer tubing, disconnected the tubing from the nozzles, hit everything with compressed air. Hooked it up again and ran the washer pump. All things worked well, so I buttoned it up and it is working fine now.

I don't think there is any shortcuts. Best of luck.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:32 AM
5 Year Member
i did all that, but if the hose is connected to the pump when you blow into the line should you not hear bubbles, does that mean the line came off the pump.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, it should bubble (backfeed) in the reservoir if all of the tubing is properly connected but.... Can we start at the beginning?

I have never opened up the reservoir or pump but this is how I would think through the problem:
1.) Park on a flat area and mark the washer fluid level on the side of the reservoir.
2.) Do you hear the electric pump run when you trigger the washer function at the steering wheel?
3.) If you disconnect the tubing right by the reservoir cap where there is a plastic barb fitting connecting the tube from the reservoir to the main tube that travels inside the cowling to the nozzles, and then trigger the washer function at the steering wheel, does washer fluid squirt out?
4.) If you hear the pump motor run, and if you see the washer fluid squirt out the tubing right by the reservoir cap, what happens when you connect the reservoir tube with the main tube running to the nozzles?
a.) Do you hear the motor run and see dribbles of washer fluid at the nozzles? - says the nozzle-end of the system is clogged.
b.) Do you see washer fluid leaking on to the ground - says that there is a break in the nozzle-end of the tubing.
c.) If you hear the pump run, there's no spray / bubbling at the nozzles, and you don't see dripping out under the car, there could be a problem in the reservoir
1.) Impeller slipping on the motor shaft
2.) Impeller housing is open / cracked and can't build pressure to force the washer fluid out the tubing to the nozzles
3.) Maybe the tubing is disconnected or split inside the reservoir
4.) Did the fluid ever freeze in the reservoir?
5.) Is it frozen now? Just noticed you are in Canada

Last edited by spike55_bmw; 02-28-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
it is not frozen the passenger side only shoots up about 6 inchs and the drivers side nothing at all,is there 2 pump motors on the reserve.

i will dissconect the tube from the nozzel and try the wipers to see if it shoots out the fluid.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:07 AM
5 Year Member
If you get a strong flow / good pressure, I would conclude that the problem is in the main line heading out to the nozzles. You'll have to take the wiper arms off, etc to get to it.

Once I opened it up, I used compressed air to back-flush each nozzle, then hooked it to test, then back-flushed again, to make sure all floating dirt was out of the system.

Of note, on other more expensive vehicles, there is a screen just inside the washer fluid reservoir under the cap. I guess this screen would catch anything big any prevent clogging problems downstream.

Keep us up to date on the fix.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
One trick is DONT mix different brands of washer fluid. Some have methanol and some don't and they make chunks when you mix them and they sit, especially in the nozzles. I had to replace both nozzles on my BMW and they are electrically heated. 80 freeking dollars.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
I've heard that Rain-X washer fluid fowls the low-level alert electrodes but I have used it in my Hondas for years without any problems but I stick to one kind.

When I take my Tundra in for its routine service (bought used and came with the service contract), I put duct tape over the washer reservoir cap, "No Fill".

Old 03-02-2017, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
Yea the silicone additives in the Rain-x don't play nice with OPTIC at all, little white crystals in the fluid looks like your cooking meth..