2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

A Different Kind Of Mod/Upgragde

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 04:11 PM
A Different Kind Of Mod/Upgragde

Hey guys,

I'm about to pick up a 2013 Fit and I'm not ashamed to say it's a car I've been dreaming about for three years (so much so I'm on a bloody car forum ).

So here's the deal, I'm going to slowly be looking to make some cost effective mods with a twist. Instead of going for aesthetic or performance I'm going for functionality.

I'm a spearfisherman which means long spearguns, wet gear covered in fish guts and slime, mud and dirt from trails and whatever else you can imagine. Every single one of my friends drives a truck. I'm convinced I can show them how it's done in a FIT.

The first things I thought I'd do is get the darkest tint I could to stop people from seeing the gear I might have inside. Second thing is to get an extended hexomat (vs an elemmat) to cover the entire rear (with backseat down). My plan is that the backseat will be down 90% of the time. I'm hoping the Hexo will be flexo enough to roll up if I have to put the seat up. Lastly I'll definitely go to LED Dome and cargo light as I need it when unloading or for those 4am starts. I was thinking of maybe the Husky floor mats? Thoughts? And what other mods?

One thing that I think about is easy ways to stop shit from rolling around in the back? Tie downs? Jockey/Bungee straps etc? Any ideas?

And for all the other outdoorsy enthusiasts who may have modified their fits what are your suggestions? What worked/didn't work? What do you love? Etc.

Thanks guys

Happy as a pig in mud!

Old 03-22-2017, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! Fun thing about these Fits are how functional and versatile they can be. Can be slammed for that VIP airbag look, they are more than decent autocross cars, have seen people convert the bed area into a platform for a bed when they camp, and used to haul parts in.

I think any of the heavy duty rubber style weather mats would work, Weathertech, aries 3d, OEM honda. They also make neoprene seat covers to protect the upholstry if you'd like.

As for holding things down, there are a couple tie-down hooks in the "trunk" area. If your plan is to just make sure things aren't rolling around, you could always add some tie-downs to the plastic panels. Just dont expect them to be as durable as installing into a truck bed.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
A roof rack is the best way to handle your sport. It will allow you to keep the stinky items out of the cabin altogether.

Thule traverse feet with the square bars and a basket like this would do you well:
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/cargo...n-xt-_-1690085
The reason I recommend these is I know they have a solid connection to the car... much more so than Yakima.

You could also look at a cargo box instead of a basket.

These would probably hold a spear pretty well with just the crossbars:
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/sport...ip-839-_-13698

Examples:

This last one was mine.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:09 PM
Wish I was around when you sold that orange fit!! it makes me drool. On topic, I can warn against putting anything directly on the roof. The roof sheet metal is way too thin. My 12' has some saucer size depressions across the middle from side to side where a previous owner must have had a soft roof case or something on a trip. The depressions only show up in certain light, but when they do, you can distinctly see the inner frame work of the roof. kind of f'ed up

I was thinking about large velcro sheets for the inside. Maybe line the floor with the soft half and line some containers with the prickly half?

Old 03-23-2017, 10:05 PM
The whole idea of getting the fit was to use the cargo space for all my gear. I also need to be able to lock it away which is why the fit is a better option than a truck. Nice suggestion though.

1fit2fit, that's a great idea on the velcro sheets. I was looking at putting down a hexomat, maybe I could incorporate or even fashion my own mat from home depot.

Last edited by Aussie; 03-23-2017 at 10:15 PM.