2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

When does your gas light come on?

Old 10-13-2008, 04:58 AM

I just had my first fill up today. The gas light actually came on just before filling up.

My car goes by litres and I filled up 33.9L out of 40L. So that's about 6L left or 15%. Based on measured fuel economy calculations, I should be able to go another 50km (31 miles). Does that sound like its cutting it pretty tight?

How much gas is left in your tank when the light comes on?

Old 10-13-2008, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by mega56
I just had my first fill up today. The gas light actually came on just before filling up.

My car goes by litres and I filled up 33.9L out of 40L. So that's about 6L left or 15%. Based on measured fuel economy calculations, I should be able to go another 50km (31 miles). Does that sound like its cutting it pretty tight?

How much gas is left in your tank when the light comes on?
I haven't gone to that point yet but since I'm averaging 6 L/100 km and the Owner's Manual does say there should be about 6 L left in the tank when the fuel light comes on (or something to that effect), I'd estimate I could go another 100 km before totally dry. I think this is typical for most cars, that the fuel light comes on with about 100 km left (average driver).

Old 10-13-2008, 11:52 AM
HID Addict
I asked my dealer specifically that question, at what point does the gas light come on? he said at 2 gallons left, knowing that fits have at least 25 mpg, you got 50 miles b4 your dead on the road =]

Old 10-13-2008, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
It's in your owner's manual in the back with all the capacities. To my recollection it's something like 1.6 US gallons remaining?

Old 10-13-2008, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
It's in your owner's manual in the back with all the capacities. To my recollection it's something like 1.6 US gallons remaining?
..which = 6 L Imperial (aka what we use up here in Canada). Concurs with my recollection of my owner's manual...

Old 10-13-2008, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
I always fill up once I reach the half way point, so I wouldn't know.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:24 PM
You know, I recently heard a news article that recommended you always fill up when at 1/2 tank. Can't recall the reasoning. It also said to fill up in the mornings too...

Old 10-13-2008, 01:25 PM

Usually after a bean burrito ...

Old 10-13-2008, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitCanada_Girl
You know, I recently heard a news article that recommended you always fill up when at 1/2 tank. Can't recall the reasoning. It also said to fill up in the mornings too...
Early in the morning or late at night, when the weather is cold.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
Early in the morning or late at night, when the weather is cold.
The story said something to the effect that the gas is more compressed early morning since it is colder out, hence you can put in more gas. As for filling up at 1/2 tank, I think it had something to do with aerating the gas and that going to empty could add particulates to your gas (I'm GUESSING.... could be totally off base).

Old 10-13-2008, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
I think the difference is trivial.

I also heard that if you pump gas with the trigger set to the slowest fill, you'll get more gas. But again I don't know how reliable this info is and I'm sure it's trivial.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
The story said something to the effect that the gas is more compressed early morning since it is colder out, hence you can put in more gas. As for filling up at 1/2 tank, I think it had something to do with aerating the gas and that going to empty could add particulates to your gas (I'm GUESSING.... could be totally off base).
No, no... You're right. I read up on a same article as well. Colder temperature = more gas.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:41 PM
HID Addict
more gas or not, your still pretty much paying the same price, its either your payin that extra half gallon now when its cold, or the next time you fill up. pumpin when its cold/compress means that the time before your next fill-up will be longer. I guess its only useful if your goin on long road trips, 300+ miles maybe

Old 10-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
No, no... You're right. I read up on a same article as well. Colder temperature = more gas.
I THINK I heard this on the "John Tesh radio show". I'll do some googling. Can't hurt to switch up my gasing-up routine even if it helps my fuel economy even a little!

Oh and I stop gasing at the first click. After having to replace my "fuel filler neck filter" on my Mazda3 this January (my sister's fault for filling up past the first click) at over $300 cost, NO toping up for me thank you. I always see people squeezing in more gas and just shake my head. Not worth the possibility of clogging that filter....

Old 10-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Rubba Burna
more gas or not, your still pretty much paying the same price, its either your payin that extra half gallon now when its cold, or the next time you fill up. pumpin when its cold/compress means that the time before your next fill-up will be longer. I guess its only useful if your goin on long road trips, 300+ miles maybe
Well I travel about 570 km (350 miles) per week so anything I can do to ensure only 1 fill-up/week is great! Think that will be too optomistic once winters hits though....

Old 10-13-2008, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
..which = 6 L Imperial (aka what we use up here in Canada). Concurs with my recollection of my owner's manual...
I've never heard of imperial liters. lol.

Imperial gallons yes but not imperial liters.

Last edited by Virtual; 10-13-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Virtual
I've never heard of Imperial liters. lol.

Imperial gallons yes but not liters.
Oh whatever...

Old 10-13-2008, 02:08 PM
For every five Celsius degrees change in temperature, there's an approximate corresponding 0.5-percent change in density. However, the temperature fluctuation between morning and late afternoon in the underground tank is very small when compared with the air temperature that we normally relate to.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
My low-fuel light comes on when the needle is indicating a tad less than 1/16th of a tank. Best not to let it get that low, but I needed to know what kind of range I was getting. I found that once the light came on it was only another 80 kms before the needle was the same distance BELOW the E as it was ABOVE the E when the light first came on.

Also, I'm pretty sure I was running on fumes when I pulled into the gas station with the reading below empty--- When you're cruising along at 110 clicks on level terrain and the fuel flow meter goes from indicating around 6 liters per hundred kms to about three liters or less, you are running out of fuel, and the engine is going to quit any minute now.

Also, like many cars, the fuel tanks in these ones are shaped like wine glasses: At 1/2 tank indicated your trip odometer may be reading almost 400 kms, but the last half of the dank will disappear within the next 200 kms.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by FiveFreshFish
For every five Celsius degrees change in temperature, there's an approximate corresponding 0.5-percent change in density. However, the temperature fluctuation between morning and late afternoon in the underground tank is very small when compared with the air temperature that we normally relate to.
This is the correct answer to that "old wives' tale". However, if you live in a colder winter climate, and park in a heated parking facility, do not fill your tank all the way. While you car sits, and warms up, so does the gasoline in the tank, causing it to expand. In some cases, it can start flowing out of the filler cap area, causing a big problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When does your gas light come on?