2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Where to buy locking gas cap for '09 in CANADA

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Where to buy locking gas cap for '09 in CANADA

So this morning I start up my car to notice the "check fuel cap" error message. Odd, refueled last Saturday and haven't had any issues since then. I get out to check the cap and notice a drip of fuel on my car by the filler door. That has me very concerned that some punk kid from my neighbourhood has been playing with my car!

Yes, now I'm on a quest for a locking gas cap. I realize that siphoning gas from the car would be next to impossible but I'm seriously concerned about said punk kid adding something TO my tank! Not good.

I already know that the Honda Element cap (part #17690-SAA-G00) fits on the first generation Fits. Anyone know if this will do for the second generation? I also know that the Stant cap (#11507) fits, but again anyone test this on the second generation? Can't imagine there would be a difference in fuel cap sizing between the generations, but you never know.

For those of you in Canada with an '09 Fit, did you locate a locking gas cap? If yes, where and how much $$? Thank you in advance!

Old 10-16-2008, 11:24 AM
5 Year Member
Good question

I also was wondering if the Element locking gas cap will fit on the 09's as well. I dont see why not if it fit on previous years but with a newly designed car its better to be safe than sorry.

Also if anyone knows if the Honda locking gas cap will "re-fit" back on the original gas cap plastic holder that retains the original one in place?

Old 10-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by FitStir
I also was wondering if the Element locking gas cap will fit on the 09's as well. I dont see why not if it fit on previous years but with a newly designed car its better to be safe than sorry.

Also if anyone knows if the Honda locking gas cap will "re-fit" back on the original gas cap plastic holder that retains the original one in place?
I'm fairly sure that Element one will fit and contacted my dealer about this. No answer back yet, but I'll let you know. From people's experiences with the 1st generation, the tether DOES NOT fit. So you're left with only the locking gas cap which I am really hoping does fit in the slot on the fuel door! Love that slot....

Old 10-16-2008, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Tether. Yah, that's the word I was looking for!

Damn too bad, it wont re-attach.

Yeah that slot is cool.

I can't wait till my car gets here.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Tether. Yah, that's the word I was looking for!

Damn too bad, it wont re-attach.

Yeah that slot is cool.

I can't wait till my car gets here.
Oh you don't have it yet! Poor guy. What did you order? Mine was pre-ordered July 18, arrived in Sudbury September 19, and I took delivery (after many, many accessories installed) on September 24 so I know how the wait feels. Then of course you get it and the paranoia sets in! I really think I'll get the Honda Element locking cap. Yes, more costly than other alternatives but of course you get that "Honda" quality and all...

Old 10-16-2008, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
FitCanada Girl, have you noticed any less gas on your fuel gauge? Any evidence? (besides that drop of fuel)

Old 10-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Nope but it FREAKED me out! I live in a small town with nothing for kids to do (and lots of little punks around) so I wouldn't doubt they'd see my Pumpkin and decide to have some "fun". Had some nuts removed on my Mazda3 wheels...thankfully the locking nuts prevented anything worse, but I was SO unimpressed. Kind of seriously paranoid right now, actually. I'm calling my dealer now to see if they have that locking gas cap. If not, I'm travelling down South tomorrow and can check at a few Honda dealers on the way....nothing is too good for the Pumpkin! Oh and me now freaking out, wondering if something got added to the tank....

Old 10-16-2008, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
You're a Fit Freak, and you're having a Fit fit! lol.

How much would it be to import the locking gas cap from say College Hills?

Old 10-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
You're a Fit Freak, and you're having a Fit fit! lol.

How much would it be to import the locking gas cap from say College Hills?
Yes, I had major fits before getting my car (ala "Having a fit! Where's my Fit?), and now here I am! This little car is stressing me out....

You'd be surprised what duties can do to a cheap order from the US. I think they ship things UPS too, which is the absolute worse....

Old 10-16-2008, 02:28 PM
And yes, why am I not surprised, but I just called my Honda dealer and quote: "Honda does not make a locking gas cap". Sigh....

Old 10-16-2008, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitCanada_Girl
And yes, why am I not surprised, but I just called my Honda dealer and quote: "Honda does not make a locking gas cap". Sigh....
Here is Honda's locking gas cap for the 07-08 Fit:

Honda Fit Accessories - Genuine 2007-2008 Honda Fit Exterior Accessories

I don't know why the Canadian dealers wouldn't have access to this product if they have access to most others.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Here is Honda's locking gas cap for the 07-08 Fit:

Honda Fit Accessories - Genuine 2007-2008 Honda Fit Exterior Accessories

I don't know why the Canadian dealers wouldn't have access to this product if they have access to most others.
I called my local dealership and they were emphatic in saying "Honda does not make a locking gas cap, period...not for ANY model". Then I emailed a dealership down South, gave them the part number, and bam, they ordered it for me! Will arrive tomorrow or Saturday. BUT when they first checked their system, no locking gas cap. They inputted the part # and there it was! Odd. Yes, it's the exact one shown in that link. I've verified by reading tons of posts here and on TOV that this "Honda Element" gas cap does indeed fit perfectly on BOTH Honda Fit generations.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Good Info

Originally Posted by FitCanada_Girl
I've verified by reading tons of posts here and on TOV that this "Honda Element" gas cap does indeed fit perfectly on BOTH Honda Fit generations.
If you can post a pic.

It's too bad it wont fit on the tether, I would have figured being that its an OEM Honda it would fit.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:20 PM
If you can post a pic.

It's too bad it wont fit on the tether, I would have figured being that its an OEM Honda it would fit.
I'll post a picture this Sunday. It gets installed either tomorrow or Saturday so tonight will be a LONG night. I'm convinced someone tried to siphon my gas last night, hence the drip of fuel on my car this morning. They didn't put the gas cap on right, hence the "check fuel cap" warning. That's the only explanation that factors in all these elements. Come on...mess with the Pumpkin. I dare you!

Old 10-16-2008, 06:20 PM
Retired Moderator
Flagged... for interest..

Old 10-16-2008, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
Flagged... for interest..
Come to think of it, no one has posted a picture of that locking gas cap installed. Great, do I have to be the first at everything? Seriously, first pics of Orange Revolution in Canada, (apparently) first '09 Fit who had gas siphoned, now first pics of the locking gas cap...sheesh....

Old 10-16-2008, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
Is it possible to have the gas cap "keyed" to your current Fit key? I have enough keys on my keychain already, hate to have to add one more.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by aenokea
Is it possible to have the gas cap "keyed" to your current Fit key? I have enough keys on my keychain already, hate to have to add one more.

short answer to this is yes. Do a search on this forum for "locking cap" and you'll see that several members here have done exactly that. I believe that you can take it to a locksmith to have them do this for you, at a cost around $20

Old 10-19-2008, 07:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by aenokea
Yes you can

Honda Element Accessories - Exterior Accessories - Genuine Factory Honda Accessories, made by Honda for your Honda.

If you want the gas cap to use the same key as your ignition do not install the lock cylinder in the cap until after you have taken it to a locksmith that can rekey the lock cylinder to take your ignition key. This isn't something that we can do, however a locksmith that can rekey sidewinder locks can do it.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by kevvur
Yes you can

Honda Element Accessories - Exterior Accessories - Genuine Factory Honda Accessories, made by Honda for your Honda.

If you want the gas cap to use the same key as your ignition do not install the lock cylinder in the cap until after you have taken it to a locksmith that can rekey the lock cylinder to take your ignition key. This isn't something that we can do, however a locksmith that can rekey sidewinder locks can do it.
I actually prefer to have a different key all together. Just keep it in my "gas money" wallet. Prefer to have the key alone as I don't want anything dangling, hitting my car.

Quick Reply: Where to buy locking gas cap for '09 in CANADA