2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Tire pressure? Do you use the recommended door psi or tire psi?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitCanada_Girl
33 psi for Sport, 32 psi for base
Ah +rep to you

Old 10-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
The general "rule" is a few psi over the factory recommended specs. 33F/R is going to be more on the conservative side and skews a little toward ride comfort. I say if you're anything above 39 psi cold, your handling/braking/ride/tire wear/steering feel will suffer. But to each his own.

You may want to experiment for yourself and see what setting you like.
Well I'm at 37.5 psi now (sorry, lied before!) and find it a tad harsh. My local roads are among the worse you'd ever see, so I'm thinking "cushy" would be better. I'll try the 35 psi and see how that feels.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by TWGE08
Ah +rep to you
Thanks! Dang, still at 9. Trying to catch up to CrystalFiveMT whose at 13 (despite my MANY more posts)....

Old 10-20-2008, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
Hey TWGE08, how bout a boost in rep power for me, hehe. I'm dry over here. I just gave you one btw, wink wink.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:12 PM
puzzled

Hey TWGE08, how bout a boost in rep power for me, hehe. I'm dry over here. I just gave you one btw, wink wink.
Why do you people give the slightest HINT of a damn about rep points?

Old 10-20-2008, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by feddup
Why do you people give the slightest HINT of a damn about rep points?
We honestly don't, but it's a friendly rivalry between FitCanada Girl and me. We apparently have a lot of down time at work so we're going for maximum amusement.

Believe me, when we both joined we said the same thing as you did.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:36 PM
I'm running at 46psi front and back, I need to check again though because temperatures have dropped a lot since I first pumped them up from 32psi the beginning of September.

I love my ride and my 45mpg+ by the way.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vintagesierra
I'm running at 46psi front and back, I need to check again though because temperatures have dropped a lot since I first pumped them up from 32psi the beginning of September.

I love my ride and my 45mpg+ by the way.
Isn't that a little high?

Old 10-20-2008, 06:40 PM
I don't think so, I'll let you know if I encounter any problems though! :P

Old 10-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Driving Under Pressure: Editorial & Features at Officer.com

09 FIT SPORT AUTO 45F AND 40R BEST COMBO OF MPG AND HANDLING
BRIDGESTONE(51 PSI)
42F & 38R BEST HANDLING

48 & 42 REAR BEST MPG

YOUR OPONION MY VARY...THUNDER

Old 10-20-2008, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BLACKTHUNDER
Driving Under Pressure: Editorial & Features at Officer.com

09 FIT SPORT AUTO 45F AND 40R BEST COMBO OF MPG AND HANDLING
BRIDGESTONE(51 PSI)
42F & 38R BEST HANDLING

48 & 42 REAR BEST MPG

YOUR OPONION MY VARY...THUNDER
Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:59 PM
I was just going to refer to the Officer.com review. I'm sorry, but I don't see me being under max sidewall as a bad/risky thing.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
Is the max rating for cold or hot temperature?

Old 10-20-2008, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
I run at 50 all the way around in my 08 sport.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:37 PM
One thing to keep in mind is it is not just about tire wear and mileage....the more pressure the more the tire "balloons" that is ok for dry weather conditions. Let's think about wet and slippery conditions....if your tire is slightly ballooned then there is a very small contact patch of the tread in contact with the road which will increase the likelihood of hydroplanning or the tire loosing traction as it cannot effectively grip the road. Trust me when I say that a decent curb hit will be very expensive as it usually blows the seat air bag, front and side curtain airbags as well as damaging suspension.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:02 AM
Any idea how much it actually balloons the tire? I'm not really convinced something still under max sidewall is going to make it any more dangerous out on the road, even in wet conditions.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:26 AM
5 Year Member
The balloon effect is pretty easily explained... to get better mileage, overinflation means your contact patch is effectively reduced, thus reducing rolling resistance (makes it less work for the engine). The door sticker manufacturer recommended pressures are different for each car because the loads on each tire for any particular car is different. From those settings, one can play and tune a little up/down.

You can read lots about it...

Tire Tech Information - Air Pressure – Correct, Underinflated and Overinflated

And here's an example of what low tire pressures do with wet conditions (the center of the tire lifts, thus reducing your contact patch). The opposite is true with high pressures, you'll have less contact with the outer side of the tires as all the air pressure is going to push the center of the tire outwards onto the road surface.

Tire Tech Information - Air Pressure vs. Wet Performance

You don't get something for nothing. The increased mileage is not worth the trouble if your tires wear out quickly, or worse yet if you get a blowout if you hit a pothole or curb while driving. The tire sidewall PSI is the max that a tire can handle, but it doesn't mean that it was meant for you to use that for your car.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:32 AM
We honestly don't, but it's a friendly rivalry between FitCanada Girl and me. We apparently have a lot of down time at work so we're going for maximum amusement.

Believe me, when we both joined we said the same thing as you did.
Darn you! Look at you, working the rep points...yes, it's all about a petty, immature rivalry between 2 otherwise mature professionals with free access to a computer!

Hey, less effort on working the rep points, more time working on Pufferfit ok? There, I've taken care of all that "down time" for you!

Old 10-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by neteng101
The balloon effect is pretty easily explained... to get better mileage, overinflation means your contact patch is effectively reduced, thus reducing rolling resistance (makes it less work for the engine). The door sticker manufacturer recommended pressures are different for each car because the loads on each tire for any particular car is different. From those settings, one can play and tune a little up/down.

And here's an example of what low tire pressures do with wet conditions (the center of the tire lifts, thus reducing your contact patch). The opposite is true with high pressures, you'll have less contact with the outer side of the tires as all the air pressure is going to push the center of the tire outwards onto the road surface.

You don't get something for nothing. The increased mileage is not worth the trouble if your tires wear out quickly, or worse yet if you get a blowout if you hit a pothole or curb while driving. The tire sidewall PSI is the max that a tire can handle, but it doesn't mean that it was meant for you to use that for your car.
agreed, I wouldn't dream of running tire pressures over 40 psi, the lower grip & higher tire wear simply aren't worth the little bit of extra mpg... (never mind the rough ride)

Old 10-21-2008, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neteng101

I stand by you neteng. It's an interesting phenomenon I'm seeing that only in this forum have I seen so many thinking that the max tire psi on the sidewall is what many here think is "recommended", so to speak. If you inflate your tire to 51 psi cold, think about how high the psi will be when you drive around and put load on it. 58?

Quick Reply: Tire pressure? Do you use the recommended door psi or tire psi?