2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ipod Control Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:52 AM
Ipod Control Question

I love the direct Ipod connection in the FIT. It's so great to have my music sitting there, ready to go and it's nice not to have cd's all over the car.

My only issue is I have hundreds of artists on my ipod and if I want to listen to an artist whose name starts with "w" I have to scroll through the whole list which takes a very long time. Is there a faster way to do this? i tried scrolling in reverse, but it won't let me.

Yes, I could make a playlist, but sometimes I want to hear a specific song from a specific album or artist on a moment's notice.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
No fix yet. I wonder if there is a firmware we could update to do this. I wish it would go by letter first, then by artist and so on.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:01 PM
there is a search option when you use the PC card with MP3 music!! Not on the iPod or the USB, though. I wish I could get a 16GB PC card

Old 11-18-2008, 02:34 PM
No solution that I know of so far...but all I do is just roll the dial really fast. I think it skips every few artists, thus making it faster? I'm not sure, but I also think from doing this, my dial rolling is smoother and is losing it's 'click' feel.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:48 PM
I have an idea. Put in a folder for every first letter of the artist. Then if you want a W, you go to that folder, then the song you want.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by eiwoh316
I have an idea. Put in a folder for every first letter of the artist. Then if you want a W, you go to that folder, then the song you want.
Wow, didn't even think of that. +1 rep for you!

Old 11-18-2008, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
Now I just need a 64GB flash drive instead of my iPod.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:54 PM
on my old pioneer ipod setup i could pick an artist and start the song then pause it then plug in the ipod and it would start with the pre selected song i dont know how it works in the ge8 though

Last edited by abstrakt thawt; 11-18-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:40 AM
Yes that works, if you select the song before connecting the iPod it will start with that song when you fire up the stereo. But once you're driving it's a pain to change when you have a long list of artists/playlists. If the stereo is going and you don't want to do the twist-a-thon to get to ZZ Top, you can turn the stereo off or change to another input (e.g. CD or radio), disconnect the iPod and select another artist/playlist, then re-connect.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by eiwoh316

Yeah, I just thought of that too. I was just going to post that as an idea but you beat me too it. I'm going to make a playlist for each letter.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Yeah! We can do a series of SMART Playlists to automatically group songs (or artists) that start with each letter. We could even do groups of letters (A-D) (E-H), etc to save a little time.

The Smart Playlists will always stay updated--even when you get new music. (As long as you synch).

See, I knew we could come up with a work around! Great job guys!

Old 11-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by fitscott
Yeah! We can do a series of SMART Playlists to automatically group songs (or artists) that start with each letter. We could even do groups of letters (A-D) (E-H), etc to save a little time.

The Smart Playlists will always stay updated--even when you get new music. (As long as you synch).

See, I knew we could come up with a work around! Great job guys!
I just found out this and making alphabetical folders/playlists doesn't work with iPods. You still have to sift through all the songs on each alphabetical folder that each artist has. It doesn't organize them by artist name.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by noxikon
I just found out this and making alphabetical folders/playlists doesn't work with iPods. You still have to sift through all the songs on each alphabetical folder that each artist has. It doesn't organize them by artist name.
You can change the sort order of a playlist to anything you want. If you want the playlist to be sorted by Artist, get the sort order the way you want it in iTunes then right-click on the playlist name and select "Copy to Play Order", then re-sync your iPod. If you manually manage the iPod, then do this directly on the playlist on the iPod while connected to iTunes.

But the problem with this approach on the iPod is that even if the playlist is sorted by Artist (or Album by Artist) you can't tell what Artist you're scrolling through. On the iPod you can see the Artist name as you scroll through the list, but not on the Fit's display. So, unless you're real familiar with your music and can tell which song is the first by a particular artist, you're shooting in the dark.

On a memory stick, if you create folders for each letter and then sub-folders for Artist names according to the letter they begin with, can you select "R" and then see separate folders for "Rolling Stones", "Rush", etc. ?

Old 11-25-2008, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cruzitude
You can change the sort order of a playlist to anything you want. If you want the playlist to be sorted by Artist, get the sort order the way you want it in iTunes then right-click on the playlist name and select "Copy to Play Order", then re-sync your iPod. If you manually manage the iPod, then do this directly on the playlist on the iPod while connected to iTunes.

But the problem with this approach on the iPod is that even if the playlist is sorted by Artist (or Album by Artist) you can't tell what Artist you're scrolling through. On the iPod you can see the Artist name as you scroll through the list, but not on the Fit's display. So, unless you're real familiar with your music and can tell which song is the first by a particular artist, you're shooting in the dark.

On a memory stick, if you create folders for each letter and then sub-folders for Artist names according to the letter they begin with, can you select "R" and then see separate folders for "Rolling Stones", "Rush", etc. ?
In my experience, any folder that doesn't contain actual music files is ignored. So I'm betting your alphabet folders will not appear.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by cruzitude

Right, I just wish the Fit could recognize that the organized playlists were by artists, not by their songs...err, rather actually display them for the user to see and scroll through...but it's the first time for this car so, maybe fixed in the future, who knows.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:57 AM
5 Year Member
How would they be able to update the firmware as mentioned in a previous post? Would it be through the USB cable? Is that something Honda has mentioned or wishfull thinking?btw I get my fit sport this weekend!

Old 11-28-2008, 02:04 PM
The internet is really wonderful.

I´m from Brazil and I´m crazy about getting the new Fit here. I went to the dealer today with my iPod in hand to try out the sound system and I noticed this problem in the first 5 seconds.

If only the dial would scroll as fast as on the iPod click wheel. I´m still getting the car, but this is the only thing that bums me out.

My solution would be to use the Auxiliary sound input on the dashboard instead of the iPod connectivity solution. The iPod still has a better user interface. And hope for Honda to release a firmware update.

I´ll be posting a complaint in the Honda website. I highly recommend you do the same.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Hi Redfive!

I'm from Brazil too and I'm with a Fit EXL.
I also thought about using the auxiliary input, but then I loose the wheel control, which is fantastic.
I don't believe how the engineers don't see these stupid flaws when they are developing the product... I'ts so fancy, but not practical at all...

Best regards,

Paulo.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Hello! I don't have a Fit in my garage just yet (only had it for test drives). So on the last test drive, I tried to plug my iPod Touch into the USB jack inside the glove box and as you all know by now, it just started to play my entire playlist. Yikes! That does not work for me. After some time, I figured out that I could skip to the next song via the car radio but that is a pretty lamo situation coming from an iPod interface. So anyway, here is my question:

Say I want to go on a car trip and I set up a playlist on my iPod (let's call it "Fit Tunes"). Then I start the playlist playing on the iPod and plug it into the Fit's USB jack. Will the radio play only within that playlist? Will it recognize any of other settings (for example, sort order, shuffle, etc)?

Thanks for you help.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by know-nothin
Hello! I don't have a Fit in my garage just yet (only had it for test drives). So on the last test drive, I tried to plug my iPod Touch into the USB jack inside the glove box and as you all know by now, it just started to play my entire playlist. Yikes! That does not work for me. After some time, I figured out that I could skip to the next song via the car radio but that is a pretty lamo situation coming from an iPod interface. So anyway, here is my question:

Say I want to go on a car trip and I set up a playlist on my iPod (let's call it "Fit Tunes"). Then I start the playlist playing on the iPod and plug it into the Fit's USB jack. Will the radio play only within that playlist? Will it recognize any of other settings (for example, sort order, shuffle, etc)?

Thanks for you help.
The stereo will still recognize and play all songs on the iPod, regardless of how many playlists you have.
It'll play the playlist in whatever order you set it up in. The car's stereo has its own shuffle mode called "Random" that will randomize the order of the playlist if you push the RDM button. I'm pretty sure it ignores the iPod's shuffle setting, because shuffle doesn't change the order of the playlist permanently. It just plays songs in the playlist in a random order.

Quick Reply: Ipod Control Question