2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Snow Chains?

Old 03-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by txmatt
from the owner's manual...

"For the best performance in snowy
or icy conditions, you should install
snow tires or tire chains. They may
be required by local laws under
certain conditions."

and

"Tire Chains

Mount tire chains on your tires when
required by driving conditions or local
laws. Install them only on the front
tires.

Because your vehicle has limited tire
clearance, Honda strongly
recommends using the chains listed
below, made by Security Chain
Company (SCC).

All models except Sport
SC1026
Sport model
SC1030

When installing cables, follow the
manufacturer's instructions, and
mount them as tight as you can. Make
sure they are not contacting the brake
lines or suspension. Drive slowly with
them installed. If you hear them
coming into contact with the body or
chassis, stop and investigate. Remove
them as soon as you begin driving on
cleared roads."
Looks like a trip to the car to look at my manual (and tires). Tire rack has my sport fit 09 oem tires as 185/55-16. The SCC website says SC 1026 are the best fit for my FIT.

Last edited by pharmpk; 03-05-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by pharmpk
Looks like a trip to the car to look at my manual (and tires). Tire rack has my sport fit 09 oem tires as 185/55-16. The SCC website says SC 1026 are the best fit for my FIT ;-)
My manual says SC 1030... for the Fit Sport. I guess I'll give them a try.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by Daemione
The only purpose I can see behind chains might be for someone who drives up a snow-covered mountain road on a ski trip once or twice a year.
That's why I ordered a set of SC1030. They arrived today, found them by the front door just after putting the cover on the Fit. I'll try them out for size on the weekend. SCC has another size for the Fit sport tire but the manual says SC1030. I'll see at the weekend. I hope I don't need them but for $20 cheap insurance.

(No suitable 15" rims at Tire Rack??)

Last edited by pharmpk; 07-26-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by podom
On the amazon page for the SC1030, there's a pretty positive review from a person that bought them for his Fit.

That review also mentions that Thule makes chains that are listed as fitting the 185/55-16 tire size, the CS10 075. They're Thule's best (most expensive) chains), but they look great.
Hey I know it's July, but I just ordered the Thule CS10 075 from Amazon. $32 and free shipping. 80% off! I couldn't get cheap cable chains for that price!

Old 07-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by kirsch92
Hey I know it's July, but I just ordered the Thule CS10 075 from Amazon. $32 and free shipping. 80% off! I couldn't get cheap cable chains for that price!
Great chain for a great price. Let us know how they fit. What size tire are you putting them on? I hope to have snow tires by next winter. Maybe the SC1030 will fit. They were just a little big for the standard Fit sport tire but probably OK. I had them on the last loop when I tried them out. Fortunately I didn't have to use them on the road.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pharmpk
Great chain for a great price. Let us know how they fit. What size tire are you putting them on? I hope to have snow tires by next winter. Maybe the SC1030 will fit. They were just a little big for the standard Fit sport tire but probably OK. I had them on the last loop when I tried them out. Fortunately I didn't have to use them on the road.
It's for the OEM 185/55-16's. podum has these ones that he posted pics of on page 1 of this thread. I figure they must fit well. For that price, I wasn't going to wait. I've seen deals on Amazon disappear in minutes, so I jumped on it.

I will need them just to get out of my neighborhood to go to work if we get hit with storms like last winter. Cheap insurance.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
An update on the Thule CS10 075 chains.

I haven't driven on them yet, but I did install them as a test. Didn't want to do it on the side of the road in the dark for the first time.
Less than 5 minutes to install.

A bit tight working with the low clearance between the wheel well and the tire, but that could be said about any chain or cable on the Fit.

Removal time about 5 secs.

Far superior install and removal to any chain I've used before.

Now I just need some snow to see how durable they are.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:51 PM
SCC Radial Chain SC1030

Hi to everyone, I just bought a Fit Sport 2013 that has 185/55 R16 Dunlop tires. I was thinking about buying snow chain, just in case. What about the SCC Radial Chain SC1030 suggested in the user manual? Anybody has tried them? How they work? Is it the correct size for the Sport tires? Thank you!

Old 11-03-2013, 01:13 AM
Sold lots of that chain size over the years. Its a popular size that fits many cars.

They are what they are....an inexpensive traction aid that works well when installed properly and used properly. No chain is for pavement and can come loose when not installed as tight as possible or when driving on pavement.

There are chain "tighteners" which is like a rubber band with plastic hooks that sits against the out side of the rims. It takes up the slack and helps to keep them tight on the tire which helps them from coming off a little.

The chains made by Thule that Moon showed are pretty nice looking. They would be more durable than the SC 1030 which is a cable chain. You would have to check for clearance and make sure the Thule wont hit the fender before using it.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by schitombite
Hi to everyone, I just bought a Fit Sport 2013 that has 185/55 R16 Dunlop tires. I was thinking about buying snow chain, just in case. What about the SCC Radial Chain SC1030 suggested in the user manual? Anybody has tried them? How they work? Is it the correct size for the Sport tires? Thank you!
How many times do you see yourself using the chains? And on what conditions (Well scraped or not so well-scraped roads?).
To be honest, on a well-scraped road, the cheaper cable chains with less aggressive abilities will give you a smoother ride, as compared to the "heavier" duty chain-link chains. However, you can't get the more user-friendly features with the cheaper chains and they will not last as long.

If you see yourself using them more than say 4times, get the Thule chains. All cable chains such as the scc are a bit of of a hassle to put on.
The thules may cost 2-3times as much as the simpler cable chains, but the reduced time and hassle to put on/remove the chains is worth it. The model you want for the fit sport is the cs10 size 075, which also has quick removal feature.

The Fit sport is also the featured car in the etrailer how-to video and you can see exactly how they work. Youtube will also show you other videos.
http://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-t...h00204075.aspx

If you see yourself needing stuff season-round, winter tires is what you need.

Finally, in the future, if you move tire sizes to 205/50 R16 (to get continental dws for example) these chains will fit those tires too.

I have both scc chains, but thenupgraded to the thule cs10 tires, for when i go to tahoe and there are chain controls. When you're on vacation and want to get the chains on as fast as possible in a storm, sometimes late at night, you will not regret spending the extra money.

Last edited by raytseng; 11-03-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:01 AM
Thank you very much for your useful information!
I moved do Redmond (WA) a month ago and I am totally new to the area so I don't know how the streets are cleaned in case of snow. I just brought home my fit yesterday and I start thinking about buying snow chain. I plan to don't use the car in case of snow (I don't need it to go to work) but if I need to go somewhere where you need to have chains, at least on board, or if it starts snowing when I am far from home with my car it will be useful to have a pair of them. The Thule chains seem really good but on Amazon they are $180 and the SCC are $28. I don't know if for the use I will do it worth to spend more than 6 times more. I've read somewhere that the SC1030 are loose on the Fit Sport tires. Is it true? Some one has tried them?

Old 11-04-2013, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
If it helps, i bought the thules from orsrackdirect with a coupon code, and was significantly cheaper than amazon. But it still will be several times the cost of the scc chains.
The final decision is up to you.

The scc chains will work, but it will be more work to get them to work right.

At a minimum, get chains that do not require you to move the car. scc makes these too in their other models

Last edited by raytseng; 11-04-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by schitombite
Thank you very much for your useful information!
I moved do Redmond (WA) a month ago and I am totally new to the area so I don't know how the streets are cleaned in case of snow. I just brought home my fit yesterday and I start thinking about buying snow chain. I plan to don't use the car in case of snow (I don't need it to go to work) but if I need to go somewhere where you need to have chains, at least on board, or if it starts snowing when I am far from home with my car it will be useful to have a pair of them. The Thule chains seem really good but on Amazon they are $180 and the SCC are $28. I don't know if for the use I will do it worth to spend more than 6 times more. I've read somewhere that the SC1030 are loose on the Fit Sport tires. Is it true? Some one has tried them?
I can't speak for Redmond, but in Bellingham only the major routes get any kind of immediate attention when it snows. Side/residential streets won't even get a plow's attention, just some sand thrown out on the road when they get enough round tuits.

For that reason, and the fact that the house is up on a hill (several routes to get there, but they all require a greater or lesser hillclimb), one of our Fits gets to wear a set of winter tires from about mid-November to the end of February. If Redmond's street-clearing is similar and there are any significant hills on the routes you envision driving, I recommend doing the same.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
sorry to revamp this thread. Im going to Big Bear and would love to own a set of the SCC 1030 or 1026.

I drive a ge8 sport with the stock tire size of 185/55-16 .

Which would be a better fit?

Thanks!

Old 01-11-2014, 03:49 PM
The fit does great in snow with decent tires on them. if you really feel the need for more grip snow tires are the way to go but I was able to plow through ~6-8 inches of fresh snow on an unplowed dirt fire road using a set of Hercules 205/50r16s all season tires; by no means the best ones out there for snow but I have 0 issues this winter here in Maine so far.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
I live in Orange County and I will only go to bear a few times out of the year, which means Snow tires would be out of the question.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
It's not your choice in CA. CA roads are controlled by DOT. so you must put on chains when required, or they turn you around.
I think you should go by tire size by the chain maker rather then what Honda recommended. It could be it's right at the border where there's enough adjustment where either chain could work. Any S-rated chain is going to be thin enough.

That being said, I just upgraded all the way to the thule cs10 chains.
If you see yourself needing to use the chains more than once, I would say spend more at least get a set of chains that do not require to move the car to put them on, and are auto-adjusting. I think there are some mid-tier chains that are a step up, that gets you at least some of those features with a corresponding mid-tier price.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng
It's not your choice in CA. CA roads are controlled by DOT. so you must put on chains when required, or they turn you around.
I think you should go by tire size by the chain maker rather then what Honda recommended. It could be it's right at the border where there's enough adjustment where either chain could work. Any S-rated chain is going to be thin enough.

That being said, I just upgraded all the way to the thule cs10 chains.
If you see yourself needing to use the chains more than once, I would say spend more at least get a set of chains that do not require to move the car to put them on, and are auto-adjusting. I think there are some mid-tier chains that are a step up, that gets you at least some of those features with a corresponding mid-tier price.

so the scc 1030 and the 1026 will do the job? From experience do you think one would fit easier than the other?

Old 11-29-2019, 02:10 PM
Hey, looking at chains because I live in San Diego and they won't allow cars to continue in our local mountains without chains/cables if it snowed up there. I would only be using a couple of times a year. Question is----do any of these chains or cables chip or wear the paint off the rims? Thanks

Old 11-29-2019, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JerryHughes
Hey, looking at chains because I live in San Diego and they won't allow cars to continue in our local mountains without chains/cables if it snowed up there. I would only be using a couple of times a year. Question is----do any of these chains or cables chip or wear the paint off the rims? Thanks
They are only on the tire part.
Here is the Fit Sport one:
Amazon Amazon

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Snow Chains?